Notices

Old 18 Jan 18, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Hong Kong and Disney - June / July 2018

Pre-trip report

This is my third attempt at booking the 2018 holiday and touch wood, this is it now. Too shy for photos and indeed real names so it is me “Bridget” age 48 by the time we travel and my lovely husband who will be 44 when we travel.

So the previous two holiday booking attempts. Well we went to Disney and Orlando for the first time in May 2017. We thought it was such a fun and easy holiday that we booked for the following September whilst we were there, got a great price for the Yacht Club and were really looking forward to it.

Six months later, I decided to go back to university to take a masters (started this week) and deduced that September was not going to be a good time so we changed to April and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Then found out that whilst I had booked for after term time, I have exams after each term so will need to be studying! So that is cancelled too and we decided to change to Hong Kong in July.

Fortunately, the flights were booked on companion voucher and air miles so all totally refundable.

Flights

We are flying from Heathrow and will travel down to stay at the Sofitel the night before, although the flight is at night and we are only in Hertfordshire, it is our tradition. We have booked the Sofitel with parking and I used my Accor points so it will cost us precisely £9.10 for the night and parking.

The flights were secured with a companion voucher and points and we travel British Airways First class. As it is a late flight we will have a leisurely start at the hotel and then wander over to check in and the Concorde Room to have lunch, spa treatment and while away the time.

Accommodation

After landing in Hong Kong the following day our first stop will be Disneyland and we have booked the Disneyland Hotel for four nights. This is maybe a bit long but we only land at 4pm so won’t be doing much the first day and the trip is 14 nights (driven by award flight availability) so we thought we would. I m looking forward to Chef Mickey’s at one of the other hotels as it has some very good reviews.

After Disney we leave and spend two nights at the Peninsula Hotel, Kowloon. We are here for the weekend and we have decided to spend the Sunday enjoying the spa and treatments. I have also requested dinner reservations for both evenings in different restaurants as I think this is a hotel to be enjoyed.

For the final seven nights, we move to Hong Kong Island and I have booked The Park Lane which is a Pullman hotel and I have booked it because that is my hotel loyalty group and it does look like a nice hotel. It is also very significantly cheaper than the Peninsula!

Activities / plans

Still working on these at the moment. But obviously it starts with the theme parks and then we have an indulgent spa day at Peninsula. We start our proper exploring once we move to HK island. I think we will do Victoria Peak the first full day and also take the trams up and down the island to get a bit of an overview.

We plan to visit Macau, Lamma Island, Lantau Island and Cheung Chau Island. Also I have seen that the Repulse Bay Hotel does an afternoon high tea so we think we will do that on the Saturday.

I have been to Hong Kong before, in 2004 but my husband has never been. I was there on a late “gap year” that was in fact only four months. My future husband was also on a late gap year at that time and we met in Cambodia three weeks after my first Hong Kong visit.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Sounds fabulous!

I would recommend a trip to Big Buddha! The night markets are also good fun!

For Victoria Peak, I took the first tram up - a lot quieter, cooler and less queuing. I did the hike round the peak which was lovely!

And don't worry about names - I use my family’s initials and the photos never show their faces and it seems to work well (people read them anyway )

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you Melbatb.
Old 19 Jan 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Sounds fabulous, looking forward to reading all about it

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 18, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Sounds great!
We also go to Hong Kong in May this year.
Very excited!
Old 20 Jan 18, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Sounds fabulous, looking forward to reading all about it
Originally Posted by Pieces View Post
Sounds great!
We also go to Hong Kong in May this year.
Very excited!
Thank you both, I am looking forward to writing my first trip report. Bit worried about rain those weeks but it is the only time I can do this year.
Old 16 Jun 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Looking forward to reading about your trip! We are going next February
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List