Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 17 Jan 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Beach Bunny
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Volcano Bay - queing system?

Hi guys,

We are looking forward to visiting Volcano Bay for the first time on our August trip to Florida!

We will be there for the last two weeks in August and as far as I can tell the best time to visit VB is during the week as the weekends are busy due to locals.

I seem to remember reading something about a virtual queing system at VB - where you scan a band or something and come back when its your time - is this right and can anyone explain to me how it works?

Thanks in advance!
Beach Bunny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Hipstalike
Proud to wear my Ears

Hipstalike's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
When you enter VB you get a "Tapu Tapu". It's kind of like a Magic Band in the sense that you can scan it at certain points which makes entering a slide like using a FastPass. Unlike MBs it has a screen on it so you can see how much waiting there's left before you can ride. Each slide has a touch point where you can join the virtual que (you'll have to physically go to these touch points) and you can see how long the queu is before you decide to join. If the park isn't very busy, some slides will be "ride now" which means you can just go on the slide without using the band. I found it a bit of a chore to find and go to the touch points, but once you're in the queu you can just go on slides that are ride now, go on the lazy river or just hang around in the pool, so you won't waste much time waiting in an actual queu which is great.
Hipstalike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 02:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Beach Bunny
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Originally Posted by Hipstalike View Post
When you enter VB you get a "Tapu Tapu". It's kind of like a Magic Band in the sense that you can scan it at certain points which makes entering a slide like using a FastPass. Unlike MBs it has a screen on it so you can see how much waiting there's left before you can ride. Each slide has a touch point where you can join the virtual que (you'll have to physically go to these touch points) and you can see how long the queu is before you decide to join. If the park isn't very busy, some slides will be "ride now" which means you can just go on the slide without using the band. I found it a bit of a chore to find and go to the touch points, but once you're in the queu you can just go on slides that are ride now, go on the lazy river or just hang around in the pool, so you won't waste much time waiting in an actual queu which is great.
Thanks so much this is great! Do you just tap one ride at a time or can you tap in at multiple slides and see which one comes up first?
Beach Bunny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Hipstalike
Proud to wear my Ears

Hipstalike's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Beach Bunny View Post
Thanks so much this is great! Do you just tap one ride at a time or can you tap in at multiple slides and see which one comes up first?
No, you can only be in one virtual queu at once, sadly, but then again in an actual queu you also can’t split yourself in half. If you happen to go at a less busy time though this won’t be a problem as most slides will be “ride now” anyway, especially in the morning. My sister and I went on a Friday in September that had a 4/10 crowd level on Undercovertourist and we didn’t have to actually use the band until two hours into park opening. If you stay onsite you can also enter an hour early, which practically guarantees an hour with no wait times.
Hipstalike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
squish
Excited about Disney

Can i hop on to ask a question? Do you pay a deposit or anything for the tapu tapu? Thanks!
squish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Hipstalike
Proud to wear my Ears

Hipstalike's Reviews
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Can i hop on to ask a question? Do you pay a deposit or anything for the tapu tapu? Thanks!
No, you will just be handed one upon entry and when you leave you have to dispose of them in one of the bins on the way out. I would assume they have some kind of security built in so you can’t take them outside the park.
Old 13 Mar 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

Yeah the provision and use of Tapu Tapu is both complimentary and mandatory, unless everything is 'ride now' which is very unlikely. Travelling on a weekday should be less busy but in the height of summer no day will be that quiet unless it's raining. Certainly expect to see longer queues than at any other water parks, but given that you can use the lazy river etc. or ride the less popular slides while you wait, it's less of a problem as long as the wait times are reasonable.

As well as queueing for slides, Tapu Tapu can also be used to activate other items of scenery in the park - the volcano spirit, various water jets, camera spots etc. - and it can also be used as a cashless payment method for food, though I don't believe its use is mandatory for the latter (as not everyone would want / be able to use a card to pay for stuff).

If you attempt to leave the park still wearing the Tapu Tapu by mistake, it will vibrate and remind you to return it, as well as I believe the large totems by the exit will start shouting at you, it's quite a neat little touch I thought.

Disclaimer - this is all from research / other people's reports, I haven't visited VB myself yet.
Old 13 Mar 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

exit to Volcano Bay, Tapu tapu detectors. If you still wear it in that area, your hand will fall off

(BTW, just kidding )

Edited at 04:03 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
squish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Perfect thank you 😂 would love the totems to start shouting haha
squish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

Even if you are ride now, you have to tap your tapu tapu as you enter the ride. Look at the wristband as it might say smile for the camera.

We stayed on site last year for the part of the last 2 weeks of August and had early entry and managed 4 rides before park opening. We had paid for Universal photo but only for IOA and US but weirdly we also got VB.

The automatic photos were amazing, great sharpness to them and colour.
August 2019 CBBR & RPR Club level Post GCSE treat
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List