Notices
Social Groups Social Chatty type threads

Old 10 Oct 17, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

World Mental Health Day

Hi all

I just wanted to create a topic for WMHD, something especially important to me as someone who suffers from depression and anxiety. I thought I would make a topic of support for anyone on this forum who suffers from mental health and would like some support or even for anyone who doesn't have a mental health problem but either knows someone who does or just generally wants to get more of an insight into how it can affect day to day lives.

Please feel free to vent as much as you want, ask questions or just come and chat about anything and everything if that makes you feel better
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
tray22
Excited about Disney

I have taken my first step to get help today - I am sure I have depression, but have tried to hide it for so long. Family life is now starting to suffer... but hopefully it will get better
tray22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tray22 View Post
I have taken my first step to get help today - I am sure I have depression, but have tried to hide it for so long. Family life is now starting to suffer... but hopefully it will get better
Well done tray22! The first step is the hardest for definite. It took me a while to go and see my GP but I'm so glad I did, I'm now in therapy and on medication and have felt such a difference in the last 10 months. Your family will be really proud of you
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
tray22
Excited about Disney

Thank you - Doctor appointment booked. Then I am going to look at alternative ways to help myself - exercise and diet perhaps. If you have any advice... please let me know
tray22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

Made an appointment to see our doctor tonight about my 9 year old, she suffers with anxiety and has started having panic attacks, don't know what the doctor can do but it's putting strain on my health and our marriage, it's hard to watch her go through it all

Edited at 12:34 PM.
Doowop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Doowop View Post
Made an appointment to see our doctor tonight about my 9 year old, she suffers with anxiety and has started having panic attacks, don't know what the doctor can do but it's putting strain on my health and our marriage

Hi Doowop, are there any problems at school? Years ago, my eldest went through similar, and would also vomit (sorry, tmi, but relevant) several times while she was getting ready for school, on the way in to school, and in school - it was horrendous . Thinking DD had some kind of virus, I took her to the doctor, who noticed it was mainly happening Sunday and then throughout the rest of the week - not Friday night, or Saturday. Turned out DD was being bullied by a girl in her class, but didn't want to say anything, or bring any attention to the girl, which she thought would lead to further aggro. The vomiting was caused by anxiety, and the thought of going to school. I spoke to the class teacher, who was excellent and very supportive, the child's mother was called in, and, the bullying stopped. The teacher took time to discuss anti-bullying, and signs of bullying with the children, during class. The bullying did rear its ugly head every now and then, but by then, DD felt more confident and could stand up to the girl, knowing now, how unacceptable and nasty bullying is, and, she also knew that she had my support and her teacher's.

I might be way off the mark, just a suggestion. Hope you can get the help that you and your DD need.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you - Doctor appointment booked. Then I am going to look at alternative ways to help myself - exercise and diet perhaps. If you have any advice... please let me know
Exercise and diet are definitely great things to look after yourself with. Whilst it doesn't cure depression by any means, exercise releases endorphins (happy hormones) which will lift your mood more. As well as this, eating healthy not only benefits your general health but will also benefit your mental wellbeing - you'll feel good about yourself and you'll have more energy.

This doesn't mean that you can't eat 'naughty' foods, if having a takeaway once a week is a cheerful prospect then keep doing that. It's all about finding that balance. I for one cannot stop eating chocolate and marshmallows no matter how healthy I try to be!

It's the same with exercise, don't feel as though you should be at the gym every day running on a treadmill (unless that's what you enjoy). A walk in a nice country park does a world of good.

Another thing I would suggest is making sure you give yourself time to do the things you love and which make you happy. Again, for me I love reading and I now make sure to commit time once a day to read, usually just before I go to sleep so I can wind down but also get that comfort of doing something I enjoy.

There will be days when you won't want to do anything and that's okay too - sometimes all you need is to wrap yourself up in a cosy blanket and watch Netflix all day.

The biggest advice I can give though is to give yourself time. Don't beat yourself up if it takes longer than you thought to get better. It doesn't happen overnight. Just concentrate on one day at a time and I promise there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Doowop
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by bella9 View Post
Hi Doowop, are there any problems at school? Years ago, my eldest went through similar, and would also vomit (sorry, tmi, but relevant) several times while she was getting ready for school, on the way in to school, and in school - it was horrendous . Thinking DD had some kind of virus, I took her to the doctor, who noticed it was mainly happening Sunday and then throughout the rest of the week - not Friday night, or Saturday. Turned out DD was being bullied by a girl in her class, but didn't want to say anything, or bring any attention to the girl, which she thought would lead to further aggro. The vomiting was caused by anxiety, and the thought of going to school. I spoke to the class teacher, who was excellent and very supportive, the child's mother was called in, and, the bullying stopped. The teacher took time to discuss anti-bullying, and signs of bullying with the children, during class. The bullying did rear its ugly head every now and then, but by then, DD felt more confident and could stand up to the girl, knowing now, how unacceptable and nasty bullying is, and, she also knew that she had my support and her teacher's.

I might be way off the mark, just a suggestion. Hope you can get the help that you and your DD need.
Thanks for reply. No it's not bullying, the new school year has caused issues as she's had a new teacher for the first time in 2 years and she's just working out the new teachers rules and where she fits.

She's always had issues to be honest and for the most part we've handled it but recently 2 panic attacks - 1 about being in Warwick castle as it was old and had had a fire and another about returning to her drama club as her friend had already gone in and she was worried she wouldn't speak to her have highlighted that things are progressing, also seems to be elements of OCD creeping in and I believe she could have an eating disorder in the future as she is very controlling with food - if she decides she's not eating then nothing will change her mind.

Have done some reading up and think the need for control could relate back to when she was 2 and hospitalised for a chronic bug and myself and husband were out of the country, my mum and his mum were brilliant and did everything with both of them staying with her but think it could be a form of PTSD?
Doowop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

My advice would be to talk to your GP with an open mind, especially if she/he suggests anti depressants. You might find they are just enough to 'take the edge off' how you feel, so that you can face starting exercise, healthy eating etc.

My GP is excellent and over the years has referred me to various groups run by mental health professionals and properly structured. He also arranged counselling and cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT). I had a go at all of them and got a lot out of them, some more than others.

He also referred me to our council's health & exercise scheme which gave me 3 months free at our local leisure centre with a designated 'personal trainer'. The gym and various exercise classes have been my life-savers at times.

Sorry to go on, just might help someone starting out on this 'journey'. Xx
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Doowop View Post
Thanks for reply. No it's not bullying, the new school year has caused issues as she's had a new teacher for the first time in 2 years and she's just working out the new teachers rules and where she fits.

She's always had issues to be honest and for the most part we've handled it but recently 2 panic attacks - 1 about being in Warwick castle as it was old and had had a fire and another about returning to her drama club as her friend had already gone in and she was worried she wouldn't speak to her have highlighted that things are progressing, also seems to be elements of OCD creeping in and I believe she could have an eating disorder in the future as she is very controlling with food - if she decides she's not eating then nothing will change her mind.

Have done some reading up and think the need for control could relate back to when she was 2 and hospitalised for a chronic bug and myself and husband were out of the country, my mum and his mum were brilliant and did everything with both of them staying with her but think it could be a form of PTSD?
Oh, dear, so sorry you are all going through this. Yes, you are right to seek further investigations with DD displaying various behaviours that you are not comfortable with. And, yes, agree with you, anxiety can originate from a traumatic experience, and/or when one has felt vulnerable.

You sound like a very supportive Mum, who knows her child very well. Best wishes to all of you.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List