Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 11 Jan 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MissJRabbit
Excited about Disney

Star Wars crowds

How long do you think it will take for the crowds to die down after Galaxy's Edge opens?

Planning late April/early May 2020 for my mum's first visit (I previously went in September 2016). She hates crowds so I'm nervous it will be manic!

Will the other parks be affected? I know no one knows, but I am new to WDW so have never experienced anything new opening there etc.
MissJRabbit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MissJRabbit View Post
How long do you think it will take for the crowds to die down after Galaxy's Edge opens?

Planning late April/early May 2020 for my mum's first visit (I previously went in September 2016). She hates crowds so I'm nervous it will be manic!

Will the other parks be affected? I know no one knows, but I am new to WDW so have never experienced anything new opening there etc.
Honest answer...probably years, if ever! Star Wars is very popular!

I don't know how it will affect the other parks but the parks are now busy all year round and getting busier year on year.
Old 11 Jan 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

Its a great question. I am not convinced they ever will. Certainly not for many years.

Just look at the sustained success and wait times for Pandora. Yes, Avatar did very well around the world... but Avatar is no Star Wars. Not even close. The dedicated SW fan base is loyal, enthusiastic and very broad (multi generational too).

Having said that, a comparison to Pandora likely isn't fair as WDW capacities are not constant. There will be what...two big ticket attractions at GE vs. all of the new hotel rooms and DVC properties being completed in time for opening of Star Wars? Dramatically more park guests flooding all four parks; with new hotels and even transportation methods built just to accommodate them all. The most popular movie franchise of all time + all of those additional rooms vs. just two (likely to be awesome) rides. Its a recipe for long waits that will stretch into a galaxy far, far away.

The net result is going to be significant waits probably lasting many years, if ever subsiding. Don't worry though - I am sure WDW will expand early morning hours and also offer a bounty of hard ticket options for getting in early or late for just a 'few' dollars more.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

IMO the best way to avoid crowds is go early, take a break and go back for the eveneing
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
It wouldn’t surprise me if they charge for the privilege of fp for Star Wars land. Not long until we find out in June how they handle Disneyland opening but wdw will be far more popular .,
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
It wouldn’t surprise me if they charge for the privilege of fp for Star Wars land. Not long until we find out in June how they handle Disneyland opening but wdw will be far more popular .,
I can't see that happening, IMO it'll be like Avatar and Toy Story Land and potentially even harder to get a FP for those staying offsite.

As for when it'll die down, I doubt it will. It'll be like when Harry Potter opened but on a bigger scale, then they'll start to introduce even more things.

Some think it'll be quieter in the other parks but I don't see that either. It'll either be people not interested in SW will hit the other parks or be more people in general going to WDW and have high crowds everywhere, with HS being particularly busy.

Hopefully they'll open early like they did for TS Land (7am starts) and people can get as much in as they can early doors before the masses arrive.

I'm looking forward to visiting when it opens (prep looked great when we were there recently and the area near the Alien Spin ride), but won't be busting a gut to get there just yet (no Disney for us this trip).
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I think they should have opened an entirely new park for Star Wars. For me, Star Wars should have been kept separated (just my opinion).
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post

I am going with 17 years, 4 months and 23 days, it'll be fine then
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
I am going with 17 years, 4 months and 23 days, it'll be fine then
I thought this was another Brexit post.

Old 11 Jan 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I can't see that happening, IMO it'll be like Avatar and Toy Story Land and potentially even harder to get a FP for those staying offsite.

As for when it'll die down, I doubt it will. It'll be like when Harry Potter opened but on a bigger scale, then they'll start to introduce even more things.

Some think it'll be quieter in the other parks but I don't see that either. It'll either be people not interested in SW will hit the other parks or be more people in general going to WDW and have high crowds everywhere, with HS being particularly busy.

Hopefully they'll open early like they did for TS Land (7am starts) and people can get as much in as they can early doors before the masses arrive.

I'm looking forward to visiting when it opens (prep looked great when we were there recently and the area near the Alien Spin ride), but won't be busting a gut to get there just yet (no Disney for us this trip).
The will have adds on left right and centre , just like the old Star Wars weekends which were mad. The hotel will have some priority to justify its prices and they have to manage crowd levels somehow. E tickets keep getting mentioned by Bob iger In interviews so perhaps a different ticket to access Star Wars on top of park admission meaning those who don’t want to do Star Wars don’t have to but can still enjoy hs like they used to have . I wouldn’t put anything past Disney ! Who would ever believe they would charge guests to park at the hotel but they have done.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List