Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 13 Mar 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by shughamster View Post
Is this based on anything concrete? I remember every year there seemed to be a fear that the free DDP would be going away but it hasn't yet, plus it was offered for US guests in the past few months.
It's more that with Galaxy's Edge opening, they won't really need to offer the free dining as an incentive to stay on-site as the rooms could fill themselves. At least that's what a Virgin TA rep told me in store when I enquired if they had any inkling of it was happening or not. I imagine anyone selling WDW holidays will all find out the same day on what deal they may do. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for free dining!
Old 13 Mar 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Every year before free dining comes out for at least 10 years, there's been tons of speculations and TA's claiming to be "in the know" saying there won't be free dining. Every year, Disney have released free dining.

Maybe one year the speculation will be true.

The UK market is very different to the US market for Disney, though.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
shughamster
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by Shani View Post
Every year before free dining comes out for at least 10 years, there's been tons of speculations and TA's claiming to be "in the know" saying there won't be free dining. Every year, Disney have released free dining.

This is how I see it - numbers of visitors from the UK staying onsite would plummet without the DDP and families almost convince themselves that "we're saving money so can spend a bit more in the shops".
shughamster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes it is. Its a lot lot smaller. We stay longer and spend less per day in WDW than the US guests do...

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stormflm595 View Post
Our current plan if free dining is offered is to book moderate and upgrade from QSDP to DDP.

If not offered then we are going to stay in the cheapest value and buy ddp.
I think this is pretty much our plan.

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1

You’re right. And every other year I’ve been one of the ones saying just what you’ve said but this year Galaxy’s Edge opens and that changes everything. Like everyone else I hope it stays but I’m the least confident this year of any year.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by shughamster View Post
This is how I see it - numbers of visitors from the UK staying onsite would plummet without the DDP and families almost convince themselves that "we're saving money so can spend a bit more in the shops".
Yes and we stay so long and spend so much more than typical US guests, plus it'd be terrible PR for them! My guess is a gradual reduction of the available dates (e.g. fewer in school holidays, fewer resorts available etc) rather than completely scrapping it.
Old 13 Mar 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
You’re right. And every other year I’ve been one of the ones saying just what you’ve said but this year Galaxy’s Edge opens and that changes everything. Like everyone else I hope it stays but I’m the least confident this year of any year.
I agree with you. I'm not as confident it will stay. I am leaning towards there being some kind of dining offer, but with much less availability for it.

We're in for a few years of changes I think, with the anniversary soon too. Disney will push as much as they can to charge the highest price point they can achieve.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Leicesterlass
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

We're not planning on going back until 2021 so watching with interest what happens this year. If it's not offered were currently thinking about not staying onsite but the changes to fastpasses will also have an impact. The 3 fastpasses at 60 days out are a huge bonus so if we dont get these it will have an impact.

We don't fancy a villa as we don't drive so currently weighing up Idrive hotel, Universal hotel, onsite paying OOP or onsite paying for DDP. Onsite will probably go from a moderate to a basic.

For us it will go on price with a preference to onsite if it only a little bit more expensive.
Leicesterlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by piglet100 View Post
Yes and we stay so long and spend so much more than typical US guests, plus it'd be terrible PR for them! My guess is a gradual reduction of the available dates (e.g. fewer in school holidays, fewer resorts available etc) rather than completely scrapping it.
We spend more because we stay longer, but Americans spend more per day.
They can't cope with all the guests now.
So do you offer free dining to people who spend less per day, or no free dining and pack it out with higher spending visitors?
I think it may still be offered, as it's advertising, but it's price and availability that counts, and both may be disappointing I'd guess.