Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Oct 18, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
bLaZeR666_uk
Master Dibber

bLaZeR666_uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 22
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by OttoPlugnut View Post
Oh dear - we will all have to be careful on what we buy (or simply don’t declare it) lest we are judged to be “pretentious” by some...
Some interesting takes on this subject , which clearly speak volumes about the posters themselves . Very interesting!

At the end of the day it’s down to resources and personal choice. That’s why we all live our lives differently. What appears pretentious to one individual is normal to another.
If someone wants a large quantity of shoes/bags/clothes etc - good luck to them!
Their business at the end of the day. To label them pretentious, to me, suggests many things ...
Although I agree that people can buy what they like, but it is the reason why they buy "things" or more to the point are driven to do so.

Some people have sentimental reasons, which is fine. Some others however like to boastfully display one's abilities, something that was promoted in the 80's and 90's(Thatcher Years) - Which can be divisive and negative emotion designed to produce jealously and envy in some, but from the holders perspective it produces possibly a form of smugness and the ability to manifest their feeling of one one-upmanship on the world, again a mostly negative emotion of the 80's/90's

Harry Enfield encapsulated this entirely with his "loadsa money" character, a vulgar and generally negative character. Or in the real world think Donald Trump!

Edited at 06:47 AM.
bLaZeR666_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Well it only cost me 1000

The wife wastes more than that on wine each year which is a waste of money!

It’s all about what you want to spend your money on that you have earned

I love my plate and it makes my car really look great and I have always liked it

I even pay 25 quid for a t shirt that says timberland on it ! In fact I only buy timberland clothing apart from a few t shirts from Tamiya

Some would say that is stupid but it makes look good too!

So if you see a car with kev on the plate and the driver has only timberland clothing on you know it’s me!

Each to their own
It’s your money and your life

Do what pleases you

Edited at 06:53 AM.
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh well my husband is pretentious and a pillock then ….. he has had the same personalised plate for 20 years now. Its all a bit of fun and the name it spells out has sentimental meaning for us .

I see nothing wrong with them. Ours was not expensive but even if it was, up to people what they spend their money on.

No different to spending hundreds on designer label clothes/accessories etc. If it makes us feel good or happy to buy something, then it's all good as far as I am concerned. What other people think when they see such purchases …. well that is their problem
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I had a play around on the DVLA website this morning. They still have some brilliant number/letter combinations for a reasonable price.
However some I liked are over £1500.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I had a play around on the DVLA website this morning. They still have some brilliant number/letter combinations for a reasonable price.
However some I liked are over £1500.
Get a few more mate!

I might get one for the garage wall!
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
Get a few more mate!

I might get one for the garage wall!
Ha ha.

When I was a youngster a neighbour of ours had a Gilbern car and a brilliant combination of letters and one number.

I checked yesterday and it's now on a Dacia. I wonder what happened to the Gilbern?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Wow I can’t believe some of the comments over a number plate! Calling someone prententious who you don’t know is pretty insulting tbh . People buy them for many reasons , same as paying £10k on a holiday every year, your money your choice.
I’m buying one for my sons 18th and frankly don’t give a toss what others think .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

I suppose the OP did ask for people to be honest. To me life is too short to worry about what other people think or choose to spend their money on.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
johnny1352
Imagineer

johnny1352's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Wow I can’t believe some of the comments over a number plate! Calling someone prententious who you don’t know is pretty insulting tbh . People buy them for many reasons , same as paying £10k on a holiday every year, your money your choice.
I’m buying one for my sons 18th and frankly don’t give a toss what others think .
I totally agree. I have one and wife bought it for my 40th. We bought both kids theirs for their 18 th.

Are we pretentious. No. So we work hard and like nice things. Yes.

Been called pretentious on a holiday planning site where a family holiday costing thousands of pounds is quite a bold statement.
Old 14 Oct 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Was it a 1972 Green Austin, probably an 850 mini?
Was last taxed in 1989

You can find all details on the GOV website
It certainly was, although it was badged as British Leyland rather than Austin I think. I also prefer to think of the colour as the rather more pretentious aqua
My then boyfriend owned it after me and he pranged it. No idea what happened to it after that.