Notices

Old 13 Jan 19, 02:14 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you know your husband best. I also think you have realised that he found Disney too full on last time, so you are planning a different trip this time. Plus your DH is happy for you to go without him so you would lose very little if he really doesn’t want to go. Hopefully he will realise that you have booked this because you want to spend the time with him and will be pleased with the surprise. I wonder if it’s the long haul flights he doesn’t enjoy? I know my DH isn’t keen on this, and DD and I went alone last October with his blessing as he did not want to fly long haul or visit a theme park for the third year in a row. If this is the case with your DH, maybe he will want a year off long flights sometimes. My DH is flying long haul with us this year but not to the US, as we are trying something completely new and flying to Vietnam to visit our son who works there
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 04:46 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

He actually enjoyed the long haul flying far more than he expected to We had really good flights with Norweigan.
We spent an absolute fortune last time mainly because we were paying for his daughter and her kids for everything as well as my son so I do want him to see Florida can be a reasonable holiday too.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I think you know your husband best. I also think you have realised that he found Disney too full on last time, so you are planning a different trip this time. Plus your DH is happy for you to go without him so you would lose very little if he really doesn’t want to go. Hopefully he will
I hope he does too, we don't "do" co-dependence, we just enjoy each other's company.
The last trip really was too full on , September was just too hot and crowded as we had three generations together at the parks. Whilst I loved the grandkids reactions (the four year old meeting the princesses was the cutest thing ever ) it was too much trying to please everyone . AK and TL apart he really wasn't that impressed with Disney although he loved the BWI (as did I , the location of the Y&B but a better service level IMO) but overall we prefer a villa with our own pool.

The budget is more or less complete now I'll post it below.

Thanks for "getting" the true dynamic of this trip
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

The revised budget

Flights LGW MCO £276 x2
Enclave suites 5nights £350
Car Hire Intermediate 12 days £250
(Will Lyft from the airport to I Drive as won't want the car the first couple of days)
La Quinta by Busch Gardens 2 nights £140
Passes for Busch, Seaworld and Aquatica £114 x 2

Total £1520 or £760 pp

Could be less if I dropped BG or used their free bus but it's a nicer drive from Tampa over to Vero so why not.
Everything bar the flights is cancellable so there may still be some tweaking !

Edited at 11:43 AM.
Old 13 Jan 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
The revised budget

Flights LGW MCO £276 x2
Enclave suites 5nights £350
Car Hire Intermediate 12 days £250
(Will Lyft from the airport to I Drive as won't want the car the first couple of days)
La Quinta by Busch Gardens 2 nights £140
Passes for Busch, Seaworld and Aquatica £114 x 2

Total £1520 or £760 pp

Could be less if I dropped BG or used their free bus but it's a nicer drive from Tampa over to Vero so why not.
Everything bar the flights is cancellable so there may still be some tweaking !
Looks good, and the price of the SW, BG and AQ tickets looks so reasonable too when you compare them to Disney and Universal tickets.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Looks good, and the price of the SW, BG and AQ tickets looks so reasonable too when you compare them to Disney and Universal tickets.
Yes it certainly does.
I was only looking at Busch Gardens but I'd like to try Aquatica and it was only a little more and includes parking. I've not done Seaworld since the late 80s , he's not keen so we shall see. It's essentially a free add on so win win. We can either forget it or he can relax by the pool whilst I go.

Just added Gatwick Travelodge on for £29 as we fly on a bank holiday so it'll simplify things.

Edited at 02:37 PM.
Old 13 Jan 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Duchy you know your husband better than people on this forum, plus, as you say it’s £276 that you’ll be losing if he decides not to go. I’m sure you’ll have a ball either way!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

I think it's fantastic. As you say the flights are such a good price you will not loose that much if he doesn't go. My dad always says he doesn't want to go places but my mum just books for him and he has a great time. Infact he is like that with everything even the supermarket shop. As others have said you know your husband and your relationship better than anyone else. I actually think it shows how much you like his company.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I'm sure the naysayers will be disappointed but I've told him (I'm rubbish at secrets) and he is THRILLED.

ADDED travelodge at Gatwick for £28 and airport valet parking for just over two weeks for £80.

He suggested we add a night in Miami onto the end so looking at that currently.
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I'm sure the naysayers will be disappointed but I've told him (I'm rubbish at secrets) and he is THRILLED.

ADDED travelodge at Gatwick for £28 and airport valet parking for just over two weeks for £80.

He suggested we add a night in Miami onto the end so looking at that currently.
So pleased he’s happy with his surprise, although you did fail massively at keeping it a surprise 😀 . I am exactly the same, I cannot keep anything a surprise, I always blurt it out

Hope you both have a lovely time
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List