Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 25 Jun 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes. It was shut and other construction projects were delayed / stopped. As Andre said, this seems right now to be much worse than 9/11 aftermath so I said a few weeks ago I thought they’d mothball a number of resorts
Old 25 Jun 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Yes. It was shut and other construction projects were delayed / stopped. As Andre said, this seems right now to be much worse than 9/11 aftermath so I said a few weeks ago I thought they’d mothball a number of resorts
Can’t believe I stayed at one half of the resort and didn’t know the other half was shut, although I think they were separate resorts then.
I can remember the parks being empty then as it was the first time we’d been and we couldn’t believe how long it took to walk round the barriers for the empty queues and commented on how long you must have to wait with people there. This was only about 2-3 weeks after 9/11 though. If I can’t go this year I’m put off rescheduling for next year as I think it will be mobbed with all the people who cancelled this year plus the 50th celebration.
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
Can’t believe I stayed at one half of the resort and didn’t know the other half was shut, although I think they were separate resorts then.
Not completely relevant to the current situation, but as we're discussing it, here's a bit of history of the two resorts from my website about the merger and what happened after 9/11:

On 1st April 2001, Port Orleans and Dixie Landings officially merged to form one large resort. In fact, the two sections had always shared the same management team but this process completely removed all vestiges of the old Dixie Landings terminology, even down to changing some of the road names. The reason for the merger has never been made completely clear, but many think it was largely due to the inferred racial and slavery undertones of the Dixie Landings cotton plantation backstory.

The combined resort was now to be called Disney’s Port Orleans Resort, with the area formerly known just as Port Orleans changing its name to Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter and the area formerly known as Dixie Landings changing its name to Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside. The combined resort now spanned some 325 acres and featured a total of 3,056 guest rooms, making it the largest in Walt Disney World.

After the terrible events in New York in September 2001, the subsequent drop in tourist demand meant that Disney needed to urgently reduce some of its resort capacity. From late November 2001, French Quarter was completely closed and Riverside’s capacity was severely curtailed to around 350 rooms. Guests who had bookings were contacted and offered alternative resort choices. The Sassagoula River Cruise was also taken out of service for several months. As demand picked up again, French Quarter was reopened for new bookings starting from 31 May 2002. Disney apparently used the six month downtime to undertake renovation work on the food court.

A year later, with demand presumably still lower than normal, French Quarter was once again closed for more extensive update and renovation work to all guest rooms from 4 May 2003 until 21 March 2004.
With the current mob-mentality madness going on, I rather suspect that if Riverside was still called Dixie Landings today, it would have been ransacked and hurled into the Sassagoula River by now though...

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 -•- Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 -•- Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13, Aug 14, Aug 15, Jul/Aug 16, Aug 17, Aug 18, Aug 19... and coming next, Jul/Aug 20
Disneyland Paris: Many times since 1992, lost count! -•- Disneyland California: Aug 2011 (for D23 Expo event), Aug 2014

Edited at 10:07 AM.
Andre is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Not completely relevant to the current situation, but as we're discussing it, here's a bit of history of the two resorts from my website and what happened after 9/11:

With the current mob-mentality madness going on, I rather suspect that if Riverside was still called Dixie Landings today, it would have been ransacked and hurled into the Sassagoula River by now though...

Andre
Thank you that explains why I didn’t know it was shut, because it wasn’t when I was there as it was immediately afterwards.
What website do you have?
Old 26 Jun 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

What website do you have?
I guess I must have made the link in my signature a bit too subtle - or probably you've got sigs turned off for mobile viewing. It's portorleans.org anyway, originally conceived right here on the DIBB just over 13 years ago in fact, where has that time gone?! https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...30#post1337430

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 -•- Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 -•- Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13, Aug 14, Aug 15, Jul/Aug 16, Aug 17, Aug 18, Aug 19... and coming next, Jul/Aug 20
Disneyland Paris: Many times since 1992, lost count! -•- Disneyland California: Aug 2011 (for D23 Expo event), Aug 2014

Edited at 10:18 AM.
Andre is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

I guess I must have made the link in my signature a bit too subtle - or probably you've got sigs turned off for mobile viewing. It's portorleans.org anyway, originally conceived right here on the DIBB just over 13 years ago in fact, where has that time gone?! https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...30#post1337430

Andre
Yes I’ve seen that before and it’s a great site. I looked at it for this year as we were going to do port Orleans and it actually helped me decide not to as there are 5 of us and it would have been my eldest who got the 5th bed and as a 15year old boy it would have been too small.
I do love the resort though and was gutted it didn’t have a full day bed. We’ve been just to use the good court before.
Old 26 Jun 20, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Andre
No way is that yours? It's an amazing resource.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Andre
That site is amazing! What a good job you have done.
Old 26 Jun 20, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I can remember the parks being empty then as it was the first time we’d been and we couldn’t believe how long it took to walk round the barriers for the empty queues and commented on how long you must have to wait with people there. This was only about 2-3 weeks after 9/11 though. If I can’t go this year I’m put off rescheduling for next year as I think it will be mobbed with all the people who cancelled this year plus the 50th celebration.
Same here, I remember the parks were deserted and all the CMs thanked us for visiting from the U.K. as many Americans just wouldn’t travel. There were loads of (understandable) cost cutting measures I do remember, park hours, reduced transport and so on.
Old 26 Jun 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

Yes I’ve seen that before and it’s a great site.
Originally Posted by toots82 View Post
No way is that yours? It's an amazing resource.
Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
That site is amazing! What a good job you have done.
Thank you everyone, glad you find the site useful. Well, when the resort is actually open anyway - there's not a lot I can do just at the moment.

Andre