Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Oct 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Apprentice Imagineer

Why is it so hard to get someone to fit a bathroom suite!

We have been on about doing our bathrooms (main & Ensuite) for AGES but always end up spending our money on holidays instead however due to no holidays this year we decided to look in to getting our bathrooms done as our ensuite shower is nackered & both kids are getting older now they both want showers instead of baths and there is now shower in the main bathroom!

Now my dad has offered to do the tilling as he is really good at it and always tilled his houses when needed over the years, DH's dad can also help as he is also a dab hand at it. We know someone who manages a bathroom trade type place, so we have the tiles for the main bathroom in our dining room (25sqm £250) and she has quoted for the full she-bang in our bathroom for us (which is L-shaped bath and screen / waste / taps, Combination sink / toilet combination which comes with the sink / taps, toilet bowl / hidden cistern etc and it's a good size with a double cupboard underneath & a shower to be plumbed in over the bath including shower head / holder) all for just over £1k - so far so good. DH's dad is an electrician so is going to do the extractor fan, new spots and any razor ports etc for us

I can not for love nor money get anyone out to quote for the fitting of the full suite & Radiator and putting in a shower above the bath! Everyone who I have contacted (via recommendations from a local residents site) have said they will only quote for full bathroom renovations from start to finish! I have asked a few of them if they can recommend anyone who can do the work and they all said they don't know anyone who will do part jobs as they will only do a full renovation.

Is this the case now - that unless they so the full shebang they won't do the work for you? I didn't think it would be so difficult to get a plumber to fit a bloody bathroom suite for me

I have asked one of the guys if we provide the tiles & the gear will he quote for fitting it all including doing the tilling so just waiting for him to come back to me but I think the tiling will push the price up massively! I didn't really want to go down the route of picking a random on check-a-trade or whatever but all the recommendations I had have come to a dead end.

My dad would honestly be able to fit the full suite and did offer BUT he's not a pro, doesn't have anyone working with him and doesn't know the "quickest" way to do things due to it not being his trade so it would take him forever and he's getting on a bit now so I didn't want to put that on him really!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
How spooky it's the other way around where I am.
I had a Plumber Mate out last week and we spoke about my bathroom renovation for next year.

He will strip the suite out and come back 3 days later when the tiling etc is done to fit the new suite.

That's actually the easy bit.

Hope you find a Plumber soon as they are out there.

Why not pop to a local Plumbers Merchant and speak to the Guys on the counter. They will tell you who is good and who will do what you need.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

It took me two years to get a builder to even come to our house but he didn’t bother giving us a quote. It was another 6 months before we got one. Work has been in progress since August and all is going well so there is hope. In initially I thought it was better to get one person for everything but after having no luck there I got an electrician to do a rewire and a plumber for boiler radiators etc. Then we found a builder separately but he said ideally he would have preferred to coordinate the whole job. I think there is an element of luck involved.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
Imagineer

My son does bathrooms but I a pretty sure he likes to do the job from start to finish... he once fitted a fancy shower for someone and it turned out to be a much bigger job than he expected... they had bought the shower from ebay and bits were missing, and of course they only wanted to pay the original quote so he finished up working for next to nothing... hence his reluctance to do anything similar since...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have every Trade covered from me as a Carpenter and my Mates who range from Electricians to Plumbers, Bricklayers, Plasterers etc etc

None of us will fit kit bought by somebody else. The only exception would be a kitchen but it's made clear in the quote that any issues that involve extra labour are chargeable.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
How spooky it's the other way around where I am.
I had a Plumber Mate out last week and we spoke about my bathroom renovation for next year.

He will strip the suite out and come back 3 days later when the tiling etc is done to fit the new suite.

That's actually the easy bit.

Hope you find a Plumber soon as they are out there.

Why not pop to a local Plumbers Merchant and speak to the Guys on the counter. They will tell you who is good and who will do what you need.
Wow really - looks like I live in the wrong area

I will have to keep looking / contacting more people, good idea about the plumbing merchants though, I will give that a go if I have not had any luck by the end of the week!

Originally Posted by Vinniecat View Post
It took me two years to get a builder to even come to our house but he didn’t bother giving us a quote. It was another 6 months before we got one. Work has been in progress since August and all is going well so there is hope. In initially I thought it was better to get one person for everything but after having no luck there I got an electrician to do a rewire and a plumber for boiler radiators etc. Then we found a builder separately but he said ideally he would have preferred to coordinate the whole job. I think there is an element of luck involved.
2 years! WOW that's crazy! At least you are on with it now. Definitely seems to be an element of luck involved in getting the right person at the right time at the right price.

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
My son does bathrooms but I a pretty sure he likes to do the job from start to finish... he once fitted a fancy shower for someone and it turned out to be a much bigger job than he expected... they had bought the shower from ebay and bits were missing, and of course they only wanted to pay the original quote so he finished up working for next to nothing... hence his reluctance to do anything similar since...
Yeah I mean I get that aspect of things, I can see both sides of the coin to be honest - I would have honestly expected though in a case like my requirements that the quote was provided with a caveat that anything extra needed will be advised and added to the cost etc to ensure that they are not out of pocket for any missed bits etc
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
FizzyWhip
Imagineer

Mobile

This is my worry .
Our new house has a bath in the en-suite (weird right ?) so we will need someone to come and take the bath out and fit a shower but the rest of the en-suite doesn’t need doing as it’s only a couple of years old and still looks like new .
We have used a few tradesmen from check a trade and they’ve all been decent so hopefully we won’t struggle .
FizzyWhip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We are having quite a few jobs done on our house, they are desperate now, we dithered with moving so put em off but now we are staying put and having everything done, we have just had the flat roof redone on kitchen extension, done a brilliant job of that, next month we have a full bathroom refit, then new door in middle room which is actually our front room door, both our doors on side of house, new window at side of it, new boiler and kitchen, they company we are using are in so much demand it's all staggered over next few months into next year, actually suits us that way though. Must admit can't wait for bathroom to be done, more excited about that than kitchen
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I have every Trade covered from me as a Carpenter and my Mates who range from Electricians to Plumbers, Bricklayers, Plasterers etc etc

None of us will fit kit bought by somebody else. The only exception would be a kitchen but it's made clear in the quote that any issues that involve extra labour are chargeable.
How funny how areas must be different. I asked this question to One of the guys I contacted "So if we provided all the gear (we already have the tiles you see) but get the tiles done by the same person fitting the suite... is that something you / others will do?" and he replied and said "yeah thats right its pretty standard for customer to provide the ‘bits you see’"

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
This is my worry .
Our new house has a bath in the en-suite (weird right ?) so we will need someone to come and take the bath out and fit a shower but the rest of the en-suite doesn’t need doing as it’s only a couple of years old and still looks like new .
We have used a few tradesmen from check a trade and they’ve all been decent so hopefully we won’t struggle .
good to know the check a trade place is decent - found a few more local ones on there that boast "no job to small or big" so will see what they say haha

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
We are having quite a few jobs done on our house, they are desperate now, we dithered with moving so put em off but now we are staying put and having everything done, we have just had the flat roof redone on kitchen extension, done a brilliant job of that, next month we have a full bathroom refit, then new door in middle room which is actually our front room door, both our doors on side of house, new window at side of it, new boiler and kitchen, they company we are using are in so much demand it's all staggered over next few months into next year, actually suits us that way though. Must admit can't wait for bathroom to be done, more excited about that than kitchen
Apparently locally it's hard to get anything done. FIL is wanting to knock the wall down between his kitchen and dining room, have a kitchen fitted and take out a chimney breast, nearly every single person they have had round has said they are currently up to March/April next year with booking them in for the work! Even the plumbers I contacted had said December time for the work!

I'm excited about new bathrooms as well haha
Old 19 Oct 20, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

In many areas it difficult to get trades and I believe a lot of this is down to the education system now which means many teenagers are pushed academically. Long gone are the days of woodwork and metalwork at school which suited many kids and gave them an insight into working with their hands.
There is good money to be made for anyone prepared to get into this type of work. Painter , spark ,plumber etc
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List