Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jun 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile What paint to use?

Just off to buy the paint needed for ds’ bedroom but gonna paint the boring pine wardrobes to match his room.

What paint would I need to do that?
His wardrobe is solid pine
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I painted all the pine furniture for the conservatory. I used a hand sander to get rid of the polished surfaces. Used knotting, primer, undercoat, and top coat. I tried using chalk paint on a small table but didn't like it. It chipped off very easily so went with the old fashioned way my dad taught me.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

That sounds like a lot of effort 😂😂😂

What is the top coat? Just regular paint?
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by *jovi_girl* View Post
That sounds like a lot of effort 😂😂😂

What is the top coat? Just regular paint?
Yes. Choose either gloss paint or satinwood. Like you would for doors or skirtings. Personally prefer satinwood.

You need a base layer/undercoat to make it stick.

Rush it and it'll spoil it and you'll end up sanding and redoing.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Would a coat of liquid sander do, instead of the palaver of sanding it down with sandpaper ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

They upcycled furniture on This Morning last week, the lady used a sugar scrub solution rather than sanding then used Anne Sloan chalk paint and finally finished with a clear wax, she made it look really easy! Thought I might have a go myself.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I bought b&q furniture paint that you don't need a top coat for. I painted living room furniture and mantelpiece it was great.
Old 2 Jun 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
They upcycled furniture on This Morning last week, the lady used a sugar scrub solution rather than sanding then used Anne Sloan chalk paint and finally finished with a clear wax, she made it look really easy! Thought I might have a go myself.
I've used Annie Sloan chalk paint on my pine bedroom furniture and it worked a dream. I didn't sand any of it down just cleaned it all then applied the paint and finished with the clear wax. I thought it was fairly easy to do.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I'm currently painting all my bedroom furniture! Just the bed frame left to do not looking forward to that it's a superking..

I have used Rust oleum furniture paint. The satin one not chalk as I didn't want a shabby chic type finish.

I'm thrilled with it! Will upload my pics in a minute! I lightly sanded the surface first and it took three coats to get a nice even covet. I tried rolling at first but I couldn't stop it getting tiny bubbles so resorted to a good brush. X

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

We just did a light sand then an undercoat. Then we put our chosen colour on top of that. Looks great 👍🏻
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List