Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Jul 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Think this through...if the name doesn't matter, apply for an ESTA with Mickey Mouse as your name, and try to use it to fly to the States...Assuming Mickey is not on the no Fly list , by that reckoning you'll be fine.
Nobody said the name doesn't matter just the middle name,I have a middle name but its not on my passport so go figure! If i added it it wouldnt match my passport!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Just found this its all so confusing

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Really? If a visitor turned up at CBP with a passport that said "john doe" and the esta said Mickey Mouse they would reject it (assuming that they would have been able to board in the first place).

However if the passport said "mickey goofy mouse" and the esta said "mickey mouse" (ignoring the fact that "mickey" isn't not a typical valid first name" I would imagine that would be allowed assuming the esta had been authorised.

Until someone can provide me with evidence that a previously valid ESTA had been revoked retrospectively due to missing middle name I won't be re-applying for mine until it expires (or until the CBP decide it is no longer valid/

HOWEVER

I've just logged on to check my ESTA (which is still valid despite missing a middle name) and the banner has re-appeared which indicate changes *may* be afoot.

I suspect it may be to do with the problems they are having with historical records.

My advice. Take a screenshot of your ESTA history and your I94 history. And check it's right. Then check again once the update is done.

I wish I had 🙁
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

In terms of ESTA. My aim is for my passport API and ESTA to match.

If my middle name is Clarabelle and my whole family calls me that but it's not on my passport it doesn't go on. The computer will match to your govt issues doc. Why wouldn't you wish to give it every opportunity to do so. Esp with the problems they are having ATM and have had in the past IT wise.
Old 31 Jul 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post

What we define as middle names and what the US defines as middle names are different.

UK passports put first and middle names in chevrons in bottom. Us passports put first (even multiple first if that applies) names in the chevrons and not necessarily middle names. Depending on taxonomy, for example Spanish patriarchal and matriarchal names will go in, but not the rest. The ESTA site tries to be one size fits all for all nationalities.

They want whichever of your name's is in the chevrons.

They have asked four or five different times and ways to try and make this clear. Including pictures.

The bit in the chevrons. Simples.

Edited at 10:32 AM.
Old 31 Jul 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

The "names as on passport" bit probably meant to mean that you have you names spelt correctly and that if you are known by a middle name that you pit down your first name as in the passport. Its exactly the same as when you buy a ticket you should use your name as written on your passport, not what you are known by. You can still fly if you miss out your middle name on a flight ticket.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Really? If a visitor turned up at CBP with a passport that said "john doe" and the esta said Mickey Mouse they would reject it (assuming that they would have been able to board in the first place).
Yes, that was the point Thorpy was making.

Originally Posted by Quensabob View Post
Nobody said the name doesn't matter
You said:

"when I check in online all the system looks for is that I have an authorised esta? not wether my name on it is correct. so all I need to get me on the plane is an authorised esta!"

Thorpy was pointing out that they do check that your name is correct. If you put an incorrect name into the system (eg. Mickey Mouse) then you won't be let onto the flight.

You are correct that at the moment they don't check whether you've included your middle name or not. They do check whether your name is correct though.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Just found this its all so confusing

The above is not from the official ESTA website. It is out of date.

The official ESTA website used to say that your middle name was not required. It changed sometime last year. It now says that your middle name is required if it is included in the First (Given) Name part in the machine-readable section of your passport.

It says this on the official ESTA website:

And when you click in the area to the right, it shows the following (highlighting is mine):

Basically enter whatever is in your "Given Names" part on your passport. It's fairly clear.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 03:53 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
,I have a middle name but its not on my passport so go figure! If i added it it wouldnt match my passport!
Just to add, if your middle name is not on your passport then don't add it. Only add you middle name if it's in the passport.

As you say, the ESTA and the passport should match. That's the guidance being given by the ESTA website and here on the DIBB.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 31 Jul 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Normally I recommend the dibb as a source of useful information for those who are new to planning a trip to WDW but in this case it's just causing confusion because None of us including me can speak from a position of authority.

So I am going to take my trip to MCO with a previously approved ESTA which does not have my middle name on AND a printed copy of it which is also recommended by CPB

I will report back ad to whether I have been declined travel at the point of boarding.