Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 May 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ShamuLvr
Very Serious Dibber

I was told by the guys I used to work with at LGW that the Police wouldn't shoot the drone in case a bullet went astray.

If this protest does happen, it won't be good news for airlines who are struggling in the current climate.
ShamuLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
Indeed between 900-1300 it was warmer than it is now hence the Europes population doubled as grain etc was easier to grow

the centuries following 1300-1900 were colder , ... now its getting warmer again..

make of that what you will
Each to their own. I'll go with the 90% plus of scientists who believe there is a major crisis.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
lindylou46
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
Each to their own. I'll go with the 90% plus of scientists who believe there is a major crisis.
There is a major crisis, it's called overpopulation which no-one, including those protesting are addressing. I would also suggest that those protesting might like to turn their attention's to the Chinese, Indian and US Embassies instead of disrupting hundreds of thousands of people who are just trying to get away whether for pleasure or business.
lindylou46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
andylad
Very Serious Dibber

Hope they like prison food.

andylad
andylad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
In what way is it allowed exactly?
I was just expressing my outrage- apologies for the use of ‘allowed’

I am just furious how anyone would think that repeating the action can somehow be justified by ‘helping the planet’
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I really hope that if there is any form of protest on the roads around Heathrow that those involved are not treated with kid gloves like they were in the centre of London earlier in the year. Sick to death of so called do gooders causing problems for law abiding people.

Hope all those arrested in the centre of London are charged and either imprisoned or heavily fined with those fines going to pay for the huge police numbers involved in 'looking' after them.

Also hope that the parents of those little darlings who strike from lessons to protest are fined as well. Parents need to sort their kids out and not be run by them!

While I fully appreciate there are issues with climate change and maybe, just maybe the experts are correct in their findings, I am not really sure what can be done to halt it. Its a bit like shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted.

Still wont stop me flying on holiday or driving my car though. Airlines are slowing getting on board with the fuel they use and I am sure in time things will get better but it is the China and Indias of the world who will need to get their backsides in gear.

As I said really hope the authorities sort these people out if they try anything stupid!
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Climate change is a major issue and it needs a coordinated approach across the globe to sort it.

This proposed action is utterly stupid, disruptive, penalises citizens not governments and actually runs the risk of doing damage to the legitimate cause of minimising climate change.
Like a previous poster, I wonder how many of the activists are really behind the cause and how many are just in it for the chaos.
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HelenLime View Post
Climate change is a major issue and it needs a coordinated approach across the globe to sort it.

This proposed action is utterly stupid, disruptive, penalises citizens not governments and actually runs the risk of doing damage to the legitimate cause of minimising climate change.
Like a previous poster, I wonder how many of the activists are really behind the cause and how many are just in it for the chaos.
I agree totally and am convinced that climate change is a major threat to humankind in the medium to long term. I genuinely fear for the well being of my grandchildren. Protests that impact on the non-decision makers are immoral in my opinion - like those who are protesting outside the Birmingham primary school, who don’t even live anywhere near the school, nor have children there, who are traumatising children, parents and staff. I defend people’s right to protest but it should be legal and proportionate.
Probably a bit controversial, but I applaud the young people taking time out of lessons to protest - if any group has the right to protest about climate change it is surely young people - not polluting oldies like me! How impressive is Swedish student Greta Thunburg who can articulate her views on climate change in her second language better than I can in my first!

Edited at 09:41 AM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
I really hope that if there is any form of protest on the roads around Heathrow that those involved are not treated with kid gloves like they were in the centre of London earlier in the year. Sick to death of so called do gooders causing problems for law abiding people.

Hope all those arrested in the centre of London are charged and either imprisoned or heavily fined with those fines going to pay for the huge police numbers involved in 'looking' after them.

Also hope that the parents of those little darlings who strike from lessons to protest are fined as well. Parents need to sort their kids out and not be run by them!

While I fully appreciate there are issues with climate change and maybe, just maybe the experts are correct in their findings, I am not really sure what can be done to halt it. Its a bit like shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted.

Still wont stop me flying on holiday or driving my car though. Airlines are slowing getting on board with the fuel they use and I am sure in time things will get better but it is the China and Indias of the world who will need to get their backsides in gear.

As I said really hope the authorities sort these people out if they try anything stupid!
Part of the difficulty is that protest is in the hands of history. The thoughts you currently have about these protesters are the same as others had in the past about the suffragettes. Now history views those who opposed them as being in the wrong.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
Part of the difficulty is that protest is in the hands of history. The thoughts you currently have about these protesters are the same as others had in the past about the suffragettes. Now history views those who opposed them as being in the wrong.
History is written by the victors.
Often rewritten by anybody that suits them.
Suffragettes actually achieved next to nothing that wouldn't have happened anyway.
Emily Wilding Davison could have injured or killed several horses and riders, truly a stupid stunt and not to be celebrated. Neither should setting explosive devices to harm innocent people.
If in a hundred years when ordinary people no longer fly, drive, or eat meat, will Extinction Rebellion have statues where Heathrow used to be an airport ?
A little brass plaque describing how thousands of holdaymakers had their trips to Florida completely ruined by these brave pioneers.

It's complete nonsense. There are many issues ER could sensibly highlight to make a genuine impact on the 'Climate Emergency'.
They are so hopeless at PR they allow celebrity hypocrites to hijack their protests, and disrupt ordinary working families getting to work, and taking their holidays.
The very people they should be appealing to, instead they turn people against them.
People are not talking about climate action, they are angry at the stupidity and selfishness of Extinction Rebellion, nothing gained for the planet by that.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List