Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jun 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Insurance warning

Just a word of warning to all travellers (I’m sure most will know). Please declare all previous doctors/hospital visits as required before travel. My son, age 25, has had repeated sickness bouts over the last year and had tests at the start of the year as a result. Nothing found and given the all clear. Before he flew out last week to Australia for a fortnight I made him ring his insurance company and declare it. Cost an extra £27. 6 days in he was rushed to hospital and within 9 hours transferred 70 miles by ambulance and had his appendix removed. Thank goodness for mums nagging!
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

that must have been frightening for you, hope he's healing well
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
TartanTink
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I hope your son is on the mend , a worrying time but a good point to make .

Tartan Tink
TartanTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Timely advice - never a good idea to withhold information from your insurer. 👍
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

I totally agree - although my experience with an undiagnosed condition was a thank you for telling us, we can’t cover you... So if you are in the middle of any tests, try to hurry them through or consider going privately to speed things up.

My holiday was to China, and having looked at the cost and standard of medical care, I went ahead with my holiday, knowing that in the worst case, I could pay for any treatment ... if I had been going to the US, I would have cancelled.

So, always tell your insurer, and if you have something that needs to be checked, do it well in advance!
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

So glad your son is ok. It must have been a really stressful time for you.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks all. Incredibly stressful but glad I nagged him to make that call! He’s flying home Monday thank goodness
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

Do you not think e would have been covered for appendicitis if he hadnt of declared sickness bouts? Sickness isnt an indication of appendicitis (unless acute and it ruptured of course)

Im not sure such unrelated conditions would prevent cover?
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Surely you cannot possibly add every GP visit.
If you go with say flu type things, general aches etc, would you really need to note it. I’m fortunate never needed a doctor over 10 + and at 73 good going I reckon. I’d never be able to recall the last thing. Doesn’t it usually say the last 5 years or is my mind going
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lemmonie View Post
Do you not think e would have been covered for appendicitis if he hadnt of declared sickness bouts? Sickness isnt an indication of appendicitis (unless acute and it ruptured of course)

Im not sure such unrelated conditions would prevent cover?
He wouldn't have had to pay for emergency treatment in Australia anyway, there is a reciprocal health cover agreement in place.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List