Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 16 Jun 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Hey mickey you're so fine,you're so fine you blow my..money.may’19 day 5:animal k’dom.disney springs

HEY MICKEY YOU'RE SO FINE,YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY..MONEY. MAY 2019 DAY 5: ANIMAL KINGDOM. DISNEY SPRINGS

HEY MICKEY YOU'RE SO FINE,YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY..MONEY. MAY 2019 Index

I was up early yet again. This time was because I was desperate to watch the second to last Game Of Thrones episode that aired last night. I had to make do with watching it on my tablet but I'm not disciplined enough to wait until I got home. I really enjoyed it and didn't get the hate.

The others were awake by 7am and so we started the daily Russian Roulette to see what kind of mood Evie would be in this morning. All good thankfully!

We would be having a fairly late breakfast today so I decided to go the food court to get us some snacks to tide us over while they were getting washed and dressed. We still had a load of snack credits burning a whole in the proverbial wallet.

I just grabbed a selection of pastries for us to fight over.

Cinnamon maple glazed bun

Apple danish and cherry danish

Chocolate croissant

All good but the lady on the bakery in the morning is so grumpy!

4 snack credits used

We also finished of any packing as we would be leaving Disney first thing in the morning. We thought it much better to have all this sorted now rather than rushing to do it this evening. Our time at Port Orleans was going far too quickly.

We were ready by 7.50am which was a little early but I was unsure how busy it would be getting into our destination of Animal Kingdom. I knew they tended to open the gates early to allow the masses to rush to Flights Of Passage.

The drive was really straightforward and we parked up really close to the main entrance using our diasbled parking permit. The park was already open so we headed through to the bag check. I'm like a magnet to wrong line and again I chose poorly. I had the most thorough bag check person of all time. I was half expecting him to take out a rubber glove and ask me to bend over and smile. After what seemed forever I was through to the others who were through ages before.

There were some pretty big lines leading up to the Magic Band readers but I had more luck picking a line and we were through quickly. We headed towards the Tree of Life stopping for some photos. Kelly and Evie were already arguing about photos. Both will not budge an inch.

Most people seemed to be heading to Pandora but our fastpass for Flights Of Passage wasn't until late morning. We were held by a rope just before the bridge into Africa. We had a 20 minute wait before we were able to proceed. This 20 minutes felt like 5 hours. Evie was asking the time every 15 seconds and moaning about waiting. This queue was pretty unorganied as well. They tried to keep a path to the left for people with adrs at Tusker House. This was policed by one lady who did the worlds worst job of spotting queue jumpers. Numerous people used this line and then jumped into the crowd and disappeared into the crowd like Houdini to avoid the queue. It was pretty annoying to be honest and I had to hold my tongue. I marked some of them and made a pointed effort to speed past them when the rope dropped. I then realised that none of the others were doing the same so I had to hold back silently damning the queue jumpers.

We headed straight to Kilimanjaro Safari.

The plan was to ride this first thing without a fastpass. There were quite a few people ahead of us but we were on the ride in minutes. I had David Bailey behind me with his camera lenses the size of the hubble telescope which was a little over the top for this! I do worry about Evie on the safari as how much she can see is debatable. I made sure she got in first and Lily had the other end so she could see as well. Overall it was one of our better safari's. We got really close to the rhinos and some good views of a cheetah and the lions were out as well. Evie said she was fine on it but I'm not really sure.

From there we headed straight into the Gorilla Falls Expedition trail. We had about 20 minutes before we needed to be at Tusker House so we didn't spend too long. The girls for some reason love the naked mole rats. They give me the creeps.

We had some pretty good views of the Gorillas outside. They look so powerful. Again I'm still wary of seeing the gorilla's "taking care of themselves" like Kelly and I witnessed on our honeymoon in 2006. It still haunts me.

So now on to breakfast. We had a fairly late breakfast around 10.15am. We have a tradition at the Animal Kingdom to be there for rope drop and then hit the Safari and Gorilla Trail before breakfast. It works well for us.

We had no wait as our buzzer went off as soon as we checked in which was a result.

We were shown to our table and our server gave us all the magnificent Jungle Juice we all had copious amounts of.

It wasn’t long before Goofy was due to arrive. Wait or go to the buffet? To right, we went to the buffet.

All the usual offerings but a few different African inspired dishes. To be honest we don’t really have those. There is just to much choice. Highlight for me was the carved ham. The girls love the round sausage as well. It was all good.

There were lots of lovely pastries as well.

Soon Mickey, Donald and Daisy appeared. Evie was under strict instructions that she must pose with Lily. I have the same picture from our 3 previous visits that I recreate each time. This 4th one will go alongside the other 3 into a frame to show them growing up.

We each ate way to much, the service was good and the characters good as well.

Tusker House can do no wrong in my eyes.

4 t/s credits used.

So from here we made our way to Pandora. We stopped in a couple of shops en route to stop Kelly and Lily's withdrawl symptoms rearing up. We were all really looking forward to Flights Of Passage. We were lucky enough to be there around its opening last time. It was all agreed it was our favourite ride. The rest of Pandora looks good but its not somewhere we'd spend ages. We didn't even bother with the Navi boat ride this time. It was really hot as we walked in and Evie was looking to get sprayed with water by the tree thing as we went by. This I found baffleing after the fuss she made after getting wet by Splash Mountain. I think today was the start of an incredible heat wave that lasted the rest of the holiday!

The stanby line was showing as 145 minute wait. I was praying we didn't have an issue with the fastpasses! We scanned our bands which all went green. I love the different noise it makes when you scan in!

We walked pretty much into the holding area. We've only done fastpass but I believe some of the detail in the stand by is amazing.

We were soon into the ride to join all the pre ride sequences. The girls don't get this bit. I try to explain that its a way of breaking the queues up. We were soon on, Evie was panacking about the restraints on the Ikran being too tight.(The Ikran to the layman is the Banshee but I like to be technically correct about these things). I told her not to sit so far far forward and she was fine. Again we absolutley loved it. Its by far the best most immersive ride around. For me I like to think that for Evie its so bright and big that she really gets to enjoy it, that's what I hope anyway. We all came off really happy and excited. Its these moments that makes these trips so worthwhile. We laughed about how near the end of the ride about how one of the Navi clearly shouts out "Kelly". Listen out for it near the end!

Kelly and Lily had a look in the shop while me and Evie went and got a DAS so we could ride again later. From there we headed out. Our next fastpass wasn't for a little while so we headed over to see what the queue was like for It's Tough To Be A Bug.

If you read my last report it was hear in the queue that we met a girl from the UK who had a similar condition to Evie and they shared the same doctor. Kelly kept in touch with the family but sadly plans to meet up never came to fruition for one reason or another.

The stand by line was showing 10 minutes and truth be told this was the quickest we've ever got on the attraction. This normally feels to me one of those attractions where your stood outside waiting forever fot the doors to open. Evie wasn't to worried about getting too close to the front but we got fairly close anyway. We all enjoyed this.

From there we headed over to Everest.

This was the girls favourite rollercoaster from last time. I was really excited to be going on it again with them. About a year before going, the internet was awash with rumours that Everest would soon be having a amajor refurb to fix the Yeti and would be closed for ages. Thankfully just a rumour.

Kelly decided not to ride as this one makes her feel ill. The rest of us really enjoyed it although Evie did have a little wobble about going on. The girls sat together infront with me sat behind. Evie sure does love a scream on this one and her ride photo is hilarious!

We met Kelly in the shop. The girls wanted to ride again but the stand by line was too long. We do luck out later on in the holiday with this ride though We had a quick restroom break. I'm guessing Lily went for an "Everest" poo. The ride does things to her tummy.

We were keen to get a snack and a drink so I saw a cart but the kiosk was having technical difficulties so wasn't accepting Magic Bands. This turned out to be a blessing as I rememberd Dino Bites wasn't to far away.

Another go to place for us. Located in Dinoland. It’s a lovely little snack credit location.

Kelly had the hot fudge sundae which she enjoyed.

I went for the ice cream sandwich which epic but I couldn’t finish it.

Evie just had a vanilla ice cream.

Lovely.

3 snack credits used.

Kelly and Lily were keen to have a look in the big shop located in Dino Land so we did. It was so hot outside that even I was ok to go in the shop. When we came out there were some characters like Chip and Dale dancing with some little ones. I think Lily wanted to join in but Evie was making a big deal oif moving on.

We headed back to Flights Of Passage to use the DAS. The pre bit wound the girls up even more this time but it was all worth it for the great ride. We took the other exit out of Pandora going towards Africa as our next fastpass was for Festival Of The Lion King.

This is a great show. I confess to not liking the West End show but this I do. Evie doesn't like it though and didn't want to go on but we did. I asked if she wanted to ask to go near the front but she said no. As soon as we got in she changed her mind so I asked a CM who happily put us near the front. We enjoyed the show as always.

I couldn’t help thinking that its the same people doing the show for years. It must be so hard to do the same show, several times a day every day.

It was incredibly hot at this point but we'd had a good day so we decided to call it a day. We'd be coming back to Animal Kingdom a couple more times in the holiday. A few years ago I wasn't that fussed about it. Now I love it.

We headed back to the car which like an oven inside. We had to let it cool down a bit before we got in by opening it all up. As soon as we got back to French Quarter we dumped our stuff and headed to the pool.

The Love Bugs were everywhere today. I always here people mention them but in all the times we've been I've never seen any. I though they were an urban myth like the Beast Of Bodmin but they were everywhere this trip. They took a liking for our sunbeds!

So after a good swim we headed back to the room to finish packing up before having a rest and washed before heading out to Disney Springs. There was no way I was using Disney transport so again we drove. I chose the Orange Parking lot. This took us out right by Planet Hollywood which was our destination for the evening.

We had a look in the shops as we were early. Evie was again being difficult about being in any photos. I was probably being just as difficult about being in shops as I really didn't want to go in any. I was happy to sit outside and take in the sights.

I did get frustrated when Kelly and Lily having spent time in a shop came out, we walked off and they both walked back into the same shop via a different door. I went back and took another seat outside. I couldn't get over the difference in Disney Springs from when me and Kelly went to Downtown Disney in 2006. Some I like some I think it ridiculosly exclusive shopping.

It was now time for our ADR at Planet Hollywood. I thought we’d give this a go. Not been for years and we like these kind of places.

We walked straight in with no wait. It was incredibly different inside from our last visit. You could tell they spent a fair amount rebranding it.

Standard drinks although Kelly had a beer.

We decided to push the boat out and get the High Roller Sampler for four. It had Chicken Crunch, Texas Tostados, Buffalo Wings, Five Cheese Dip, and Fried Jumbo Shrimp. This was expensive but tasty although Lily didn’t each much.

For mains I went for the ribs. These were fine but nowhere near the quality of The Polite Pig ribs. It was also was served on a novelty bench for some reason. It looked cool but eating was awkward due to how high it was. It came with triple fries( 3 different kinds of fries) These were just ok.

Kelly fancied pasta so had Penne pesto with brocolli and chicken. Well that was the plan

Evie was being really indecisive went for Planet Hollywood’s take on lasagne. I believe the pasta is deep fried. She took one bite and hated it. Too rich for her so Kelly swapped. She didn’t like Kelly’s either

Lily on the kids plan was persuaded to not have Mac and cheese for once. She went for chicken fingers and fries. I don’t know who’s fingers they were based on but it was a massive portion for a kid. She didn’t eat much. She wished she had stuck to the Mac and cheese.

There was a nice atmosphere inside during the meal. One particular server really enjoyed performing and singing along to YMCA when it came on.

For desserts Lily didn’t want anything. Kelly and Evie both went for the sticky toffee pudding which they enjoyed. How they managed to eat it I’ll never know

I asked if I could swap my dessert for a milkshake, not one of the ludicrous ones, but was told no. Not sure why. Same price. I sulked and said I didn’t want anything then.

Overall this was ok. It wasn’t great, it wasn’t bad. We probably shouldn’t have ordered the appetisers and looked into Evie’s dish a bit more but like I said a nice fun atmosphere. Expensive if not on the ddp.

4 t/s credits used.

So once we'd finished we headed back to the shops. Kelly and Lily went into the same shop for the 3rd time. This time they got something though. Lily was constantly moaning about shoes. Kelly knew full well that Lily needed Crocs. Lily wasnt having it. Kelly won the battle of wills and bought her some white ones. Guess what? She didnt wear anything else all holiday. A wise investment.

Lily bought a couple of other bits in the Marvel shop, a Captain America Funko Pop and a Captain America T-Shirt. So after thast we headed back to the resort.

So we were off to Universal for the next stage of our trip in the morning but unfortunately had a lot of credits left over. We are just plain rubbish with snacks. We had 8 q/s meals left over as well. One due to Toy Story Extra Magic and the other I’ve no idea why hadn’t used it. We decided to convert those to snacks. Added with our remaining snack credits it left us with 34

Now as we are morons we didn’t think to swap them out at somewhere at Disney Springs, oh no we did it at our resort shop where the choice was rubbish.

Let’s just say the kids friends will think we bought them some presents back(to be honest they must expect this as we do it everytime)

So 30 snacks used on tat. 4 kept for pastries in the morning before we go to Universal.

We then made sure we were all set, cases done for our early start in the morning. Looking back it was a good day.

Next up, Universal.

Thanks for reading

George.

Edited at 08:08 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Your time onsite at Disney went by so quickly. It's never long enough is it!?
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Your time onsite at Disney went by so quickly. It's never long enough is it!?
6 days was the shortest we’ve ever done. 14 days from now on
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

Fab day... my kids usually have no problem using the snack credits in Starbucks lol
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
katnav
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

What a great stay at FQ, I'll be on the look out for the moody morning pastry lady in August.

Looking forward to the universal instalment.
katnav is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Sounds a great day. X
Old 17 Jun 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by katnav View Post
What a great stay at FQ, I'll be on the look out for the moody morning pastry lady in August.

Looking forward to the universal instalment.
Thank you She was so grumpy! French Quarter is so nice

Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Fab day... my kids usually have no problem using the snack credits in Starbucks lol
Thanks for reading. The queues are always to bad at Starbucks!

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Sounds a great day. X
It was. Thanks for reading
Old 17 Jun 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
ShezMcQ
Excited about Disney

ShezMcQ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 6
A really lovely day at AK and DS. We loved Tusker House as well and my husband still goes on about their carved ham The spicy mustard sauce they had to go with it was so good we asked for the recipe to make at home!

Looking forward to the next instalment
Polynesian Resort/HRH/The Grove - Nov18
RPR/Floridays/Hollywood Beach - Oct19
ShezMcQ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYNIC
Excited about Disney

Great day. Fab you got on FOP twice. Nice snack haul - wonder how we will get on with our credits in October on QSDP. Izzy will probably spend most of them on Starbucks!

Trip Report October/November 2019:-
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1150263
DISNEYNIC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mumofangels
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

Love reading your report your girls sound very similar to mine there 12 & 14 so I can relate to you.where also staying at pofq in September and can’t wait although I’m dreading having to get ready in the same room 😬
Mumofangels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List