Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 May 14, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Disney FastPass+ is it Good or is it Bad news for fans?

inline imageRecently Disney addressed the media at a special media event on the topic of FastPass+ and the MyMagic+ system. Disney indicated that use of FastPass+ was up 40% over the old FastPass system.

Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, mentioned that one month into implementation of FastPass+, Disney is pleased with the results and is planning further enhancements based on visitors' reactions.

FastPass+ allows park visitors to make reservations for rides, shows, parades and character meet-and-greets. Most FastPass+ reservations are made through the My Disney Experience website or app up to 60 days in advance or can be made on the day via in park FastPass+ terminals.

Tom Staggs called the feedback "overwhelmingly positive" with guests telling Disney that they like the flexibility which they say gives them more togetherness with their families. "The old FastPass system required more footwork, it did result in some of our guests zig zagging across the park" to secure passes".

Disney seem to be happy with the new system and if we believe what we are being told about the feedback, so are the guests. However with a 40% increase in use of FastPass how will this affect queues?

At first glance it would seem that a 40% increase in FastPass use is going to increase the queue times for the attractions. Some people have already reported that the FastPass lines seem to be longer than on previous visits.

Now before we all get depressed that the lines are going to be longer, we really need to look at the other stats. Although there is a 40% increase in FastPass use, Disney has actually increased the number of attractions that have fastpass available.

On the old FastPass system a year ago there were only 22 attractions across the 4 Disney parks that had FastPass available. Today the number of FastPass+ attractions is 58 that is a total increase of 163%
  • Animal Kingdom - 60% increase from 5 to 8 FastPass attractions
  • EPCOT - 100% increase from 6 to 12 FastPass attractions
  • Disney Hollywood Studios - 225% increase from 4 to 13 FastPass attractions
  • Magic Kingdom - 257% increase from 7 to 25 FastPass attractions.

Another twist to this is that the number of FastPass+ reservations that a guest could get was actually limited to just 3. Although Disney has now removed that restriction, it would have been in force when the stats showed them the 40% increase. So conceivably that 40% figure could be substantially higher now that guests can get more than 3 FastPass+ reservations each day.

It seems that most people like the flexibility of the new system but putting the flexibility to one side is this new system going to increase or decrease our wait in line?

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 3 May 14, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
junpit
VIP Dibber

Hi

I think its having an increased effect on standby lines as a result too. I have an autistic child and so this does not have that great an effect on us as a result. I suspect that the lines in early August are going to be mega! Disney may need to make some tweaks.

-Darren
Saratoga Springs (2013)Marriott Courtyard - LBV (2011)
Clarion Inn - LBV (2009)Quality Inn Plaza x 4 (2002 - 2007)
Best Western Plaza (2000)
junpit is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 14, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post

I like that they have add the ability to get further Fastpasses once you have used your first three. I wish that they would separate out evening events, though. So, let me book 2 Fastpass things during the day and be able to pick something totally separate for the evening (including allowing a different park) and not restrict the ability to book "on the go" Fastpasses through the day after the first two contingent on using that evening one first.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 14, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinkgirl
Imagineer

Pinkgirl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 34
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Jay66UK View Post
I like that they have add the ability to get further Fastpasses once you have used your first three. I wish that they would separate out evening events, though. So, let me book 2 Fastpass things during the day and be able to pick something totally separate for the evening (including allowing a different park) and not restrict the ability to book "on the go" Fastpasses through the day after the first two contingent on using that evening one first.
I totally agree.

My Princess
2016 - Marriott Courtyard, RPR, Yacht Club; 2014 - Marriott Courtyard, RPR, Yacht Club; 2012 - Rosen Inn, Yacht Club; 2010 - POFQ; 2009 - POR; 2008 - Wyndham, POFQ, Renaissance Seaworld; 2003 - Holiday Inn, I Drive; 2000 - Hojo, I Drive, All Star Movies; 1997 - Best Western, I Drive
Pinkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 14, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
clanmacbeath
Imagineer

clanmacbeath's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

It will be interesting to have some feedback from guests after they have been in august. Im concerned that standby queues will be much longer for the popular rides. Personally I don't understand the need to book rides so far in advance. For people like myself who never know which park they are going to until they get out of bed that day, it's spoiling the spontaneity. I don't like having to take my phone to the parks either. I understand for a lot of people this will add to their experience but for us it's just a hassle. But I'll see how it goes on our next visit.
clanmacbeath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 14, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Went to Epcot today, our first day of Hollybubs. Had picked our FP's the day before with no problems with timings. Managed to move the time of our booking for Soarin whilst at the park today, no problem at all. Added more Fastpasses after using first three and all went well with that too.

All this was with the tickets, not Magicbands, and looking around, most visitors were using cards not bands

So all worked for us very well, and we were fans of the old system. Not concerned anymore...
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 14, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

how easy was it to add more? was access to the kiosks readily available?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 14, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
planning planning planning - what has happened to the 'we'll see what comes up' and 'spontaneity'?
Old 4 May 14, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by zoemoo View Post
planning planning planning - what has happened to the 'we'll see what comes up' and 'spontaneity'?
Couldn't agree more... what next getting a FP to use the toilet?

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 14, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Spontaneity is good but it will be so much easier for rides like TSM and Soaring so I'm looking forward to using it

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List