Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 May 14, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We've done 2 trips since the introduction of FP+ and my biggest issue is the need to plan so much

Really feels like you are attending meetings or something like being at work
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 14, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
KemlynUltra
Helping Minnie

Think FP + will really work for our family. The thought of knowing we can get into Hollywood studios at 5pm after a day at the pool or a waterpark and still get on toy story mania and such like is a massive bonus to the way in which we plan our holiday. Suits us who 'graze WDW' over 2 weeks but understand it doesnt suit everyone.
KemlynUltra is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 14, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
markiemark90
Very Serious Dibber

markiemark90's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
It's like being at work

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
We've done 2 trips since the introduction of FP+ and my biggest issue is the need to plan so much

Really feels like you are attending meetings or something like being at work
Could not agree more. I am surprised you can't sync your fast passes to your outlook account and cross reference them in your calendar.

Even on a normal visit you are planning as you arrive at the gate for shows and parades. So you have booked your meals and your rides in advance. This means a trip to Disney will now be something like

0800 hours breakfast - rendezvous at car at 0815
0845 hours parking
0915 hours walk to fp1 ride
0945 hours fp1 ride
1000 hours photo in front of x
1015 hours walk to fp2
1030 hours approach fp2 attraction forming two battalions of kids in queue formation

Any stragglers will be abandoned. - rations served at 1215 hours do not be late

Transport departs 1747 hours
Etc

Mark
markiemark90 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 14, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
In principle, I like the idea of Fastpass Plus. However, two observations:

You don't need to be making FP+s for rides in the mornings unless you are only doing a half day morning at a park.
Or you can do what we used to do with the old system - get a Fastpass, join the regular line, ride, have another go using Fastpass (as the line will now be longer) (perhaps inserting breakfast I between).

After you have used your intial 3 you have to keep returning to a kiosk if you want more - is this not just reverting to the old system?
Yes but no but... The big difference is you used to have to traipse across the park to the ride to get the Fastpass. Now you go to the nearest kiosk. It would be better if you could use the app...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 14, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by markiemark90 View Post
Could not agree more. I am surprised you can't sync your fast passes to your outlook account and cross reference them in your calendar.

Even on a normal visit you are planning as you arrive at the gate for shows and parades. So you have booked your meals and your rides in advance. This means a trip to Disney will now be something like

0800 hours breakfast - rendezvous at car at 0815
0845 hours parking
0915 hours walk to fp1 ride
0945 hours fp1 ride
1000 hours photo in front of x
1015 hours walk to fp2
1030 hours approach fp2 attraction forming two battalions of kids in queue formation

Any stragglers will be abandoned. - rations served at 1215 hours do not be late

Transport departs 1747 hours
Etc

Mark
Disney has always been a bit like that, and you always had a choice whether to buy in to that approach or to "free wheel". Looking at copies of the Unofficial Guide from 1997 and it said exactly the same - you roam and waste time or follow a touring plan and avoid the worst of the queuing. Crucially, though, you choose.

With the average UK holiday over there being 14 days, and the average American visit being 4, we are fortunate to have loads of slack built in.

You can still ride just about everything in a visit provided you start early each day. Don't want to get up early all the time? Then plan a bit.

Every time we've been we've had a plan for each day, and every trip we've abandoned the plan whenever it suits us. Fastpass+ won't change that.
Old 5 May 14, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by Jay66UK View Post
Disney has always been a bit like that, and you always had a choice whether to buy in to that approach or to "free wheel". Looking at copies of the Unofficial Guide from 1997 and it said exactly the same - you roam and waste time or follow a touring plan and avoid the worst of the queuing. Crucially, though, you choose.

With the average UK holiday over there being 14 days, and the average American visit being 4, we are fortunate to have loads of slack built in.

You can still ride just about everything in a visit provided you start early each day. Don't want to get up early all the time? Then plan a bit.

Every time we've been we've had a plan for each day, and every trip we've abandoned the plan whenever it suits us. Fastpass+ won't change that.
But the planning in the 'old days' was much less regimented. I could plan what general areas and rides I wanted to do. My last 2 trips felt much more structured (in a negative way) and our trip before them we had free dining... !
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 14, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
But the planning in the 'old days' was much less regimented. I could plan what general areas and rides I wanted to do. My last 2 trips felt much more structured (in a negative way) and our trip before them we had free dining... !
Then you've got the balance wrong for you and need to step back from the rigidity a bit. Book fewer ADRs and Fastpass ahead of time, make more decisions on the go, etc. Make it work for you, rather than the other way round

As others have said, you can get walk-ups (I guess the 24 hour cancellation policy is really helping here); you can book Fastpasses via the app or in park at a terminal without marching all over the park first; you can I hold 3 at a time. All massive improvements.

Thinking back to our first free DDP experience, lots of people seemed to be booking multiple ADRs with no penalty, which meant no walk ups almost anywhere. Then the system changed and you could only have one ADR per mealtime, but still there were few walk-ups (except in some of the less well know or popular places)
Old 5 May 14, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
thehails
Dibbing with Tink

I really enjoyed using the old fast pass system & made it work well for our family based on all the hints on here. However I'm really looking forward to using the new system as I feel for us as a family it will result in a more relaxed approach to the parks i.e not having to make the march to TSM first thing in the morning etc to ensure we get a fast pass.

I'm planning to be there at rope drop & ride as much as possible then have fast pass+ booked for our favourite rides again later in the day. I'm also considering booking 1 night on site so that we can get access to fast pass+ at 60 days.

I particularly like the idea of having fast pass+ booked for wishes & fantasmic as I like good seats but really hate the whole being there an hour or more before hand to secure them.

I think the new system appears to make it easier for the majority of families as it enables you to have 1/2 days at the park without the risk of not getting on rides without long queues.

I can't wait to try it & really appreciate reading the feedback good & bad on here.
thehails is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 14, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by Jay66UK View Post
Then you've got the balance wrong for you and need to step back from the rigidity a bit. Book fewer ADRs and Fastpass ahead of time, make more decisions on the go, etc. Make it work for you, rather than the other way round

As others have said, you can get walk-ups (I guess the 24 hour cancellation policy is really helping here); you can book Fastpasses via the app or in park at a terminal without marching all over the park first; you can I hold 3 at a time. All massive improvements.

Thinking back to our first free DDP experience, lots of people seemed to be booking multiple ADRs with no penalty, which meant no walk ups almost anywhere. Then the system changed and you could only have one ADR per mealtime, but still there were few walk-ups (except in some of the less well know or popular places)
Except it's not the ADRs that are the problem...

If you don't book in advance you risk not getting the fast passes. I speak from experience as due to issues with our AP we could not get TSM for our Dec trip (at all!) and we couldn't change our ToT FP in Feb (partly due to the fact that we were a party of 8 that time).

Using the old system I had never had a problem riding everything I wanted with a reasonable wait...
Old 5 May 14, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
We are going again in June for one more try. Most likely we will then use our DVC points at Hilton Head or Vero Beach for a couple of years.