Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 2 Dec 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cuttycrew
Earning More Ears

Upgrade to AP worth it?

Hi, we are going to Disney in May for two weeks and plan to go back to see what its like at Christmas next December just wondering if people think it wise to upgrade to annual pass rather than buying tickets through a package with Virgin
2019 Sapphire Falls
2020 FrenchQuarter/Nov Disney All Star Res
cuttycrew is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyfan14
Getting Excited

if going back its worthwhile potentially but i would look at how long you want to spend there on each trip because the other option of course is just buying the shorter length tickets if doing small trips there
disneyfan14 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

So 2 x 14 day tickets used to be more expensive than the platinum pass but then it went up a lot in this years' increase so it may need more consideration. I have an AP (without waterparks) but wont be renewing as finances mean I wont be in Orlando next year but I would still really need to crunch the numbers to see if it works out now. Some side benefits beyond the cost that have worked out as savings due to the AP are:
1 - 20% of most merchandise and 10% off most table service meals - though as we pretty much never have these, this hasn't made much difference for us
2 - free parking at the parks - Saved over $175 on this alone, of course if you don't drive and stay onsite then again this may not be much value to you as you get free parking at the parks but have to pay to park at your hotel
3 - an additional 10% off room rates due to an offer disney were running - saved about $240

These can all add up but if you are not 100% sure you are going twice then you can buy the 14 day pass and upgrade when you get there. You can go to any guest services or ticket location to ask, they should only charge you the difference between the cost of the ticket and the AP. Do note though that they will backdate the start of your AP to the first day you used the ticket but it may give you more time to decide. Also if you use your ticket to go into a water park then I think you may have to buy the more expensive platinum plus AP. Finally only one person needs an AP to benefit from all the perks so it may be one of you gets an AP and the rest of the group just have their tickets.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Annual Pass is $1119, so £860, which is roughly the cost of two 14 days tickets.

The benefits?

The biggest one is parking. At $25 a day that annual pass on 28 days could save you $700. Staying onsite - not so much of a saving as you get park parking for free and you have to pay for resort parking. I'd be booking offsite.

10% off most restaurants and 10% off most merchandise.

Note - you only need to buy one annual pass to get all the benefit (so may be cheaper to buy one annual pass and 2 14 day tickets)
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
WDW365
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

For reasons above another yes vote. May is nice. November is also amazing for Christmas stuff. With parking and savings on merchandise and food it worked well for us.
WDW365 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
If you have 2 x 3 week trips in one year, then I reckon you'll be quids in.

2 x 14 day trips, yes you'll save a fair bit on parking (if staying offsite), but you'd probably have to spend a fair bit in merch to make it worth it.

I agree with above about only buying one.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cuttycrew
Earning More Ears

Have a fab time
2019 Sapphire Falls
2020 FrenchQuarter/Nov Disney All Star Res
cuttycrew is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

As others said its a bit close to a direct price match now that the AP price went up. I did however renew mine using a 14 night free dining ticket I had to purchase in September as worked out approx the same price as buying another 14 day and as said gives free parking. We do about 10 days every May so parking would be $250 and then any discounts would be on top so I think it was worth it. None of the rest of the family are bothering although they did in 2018 as it saved a lot of money
Old 6 Dec 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
xxdavexx
First POST

advice if you do go for annual tickets do it early in trip so you get benefits like free parking and discounts.
xxdavexx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List