Old 22 Aug 20, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
One mad woman and her dog, NC500 Aug 2020 - day 8 Lochcarron to Pitlochry

I wake up in the pitch black to the unmistakeable sound of retching. Jump up, put the lights on and there are 3 piles to deal with.. thankfully just undigested grass really, and I have my handy wet wipes so we have it cleaned up in no time, and I decide to take him out to see if he needs a wee or anything whilst I’m awake. It’s 5am and we just have a quick walk along the water front, being careful not to get locked out of the hotel, then back in and it’s back to bed for both of us.

Getting up again and the monster seems to be feeling much better. We go next door for breakfast, but I just have a yoghurt and a croissant. It was lovely though. I really enjoyed this hotel, it was friendly, laid back and right on the route.

I pack up the room, and give Max a third of his normal breakfast (which he wolfs down) and we get in the car.

We head just up the road for now to the ruins of Strome castle. I can’t let him off the lead here because there are lots of sheep, but it’s a great little stop for a walk around. It starts to rain but only quite lightly at this stage.

He seems ok so we get on the road towards Inverness and eventually home (tomorrow).
I must admit I had very serious thoughts of trying to just head home, both yesterday and at 5am, but I’m very far from home, nearly a 9 hour drive, and as such I think it would be better to stop regularly to offer him water and fresh air, rather than trying to push through. I have a quick call with DH who reminds me that dogs eat things they shouldn’t all the time and to stop worrying, he’s eating, drinking and toileting normally and so to carry on but just not over feed him and offer him regular breaks.
So our next stop is the Glen Dougherty look out, if you look right at the end of the picture, on a clear day that’s Loch Maree, but it wasn’t a clear day. So just a quick look about and off we go again. Nice for a photo and a leg stretch though.

Last stop for us on the NC500 route is Rogie Falls. This is a great stop and walk down to the waterfalls. Apparently at the right time of year you can see salmon jumping up the falls, but it wasn’t to be today, this stop was incredibly busy, the car park was completely full and I had to wait a while to get parked, but it was a lovely walk and we both really enjoyed it.

Not long after this we reach Inverness and leave the NC500 route, we’re a little early to head to Pitlochry which is our stop for the night, so I do a couple of things, firstly grab a quick drive through McDonald’s for lunch £8.80, then fill up the car at the Tesco petrol station as it’s 114.8p which comes to £19.87.

It’s only 90 mins to Pitlochry from here. And so I think I’ll be a little early really, so I head to Culloden battlefield for a walk around. Well unfortunately the heavens just open, and we are both completely drowned. Rather rudely I felt Max wasn’t over interested in the Jacobites. But we have a very quick walk round, and then a towel off and on the road. I tell him I’ll put Outlander on for him when we get home. 😂. I’m actually very interested in history but I have been to the visitor centre before (and read and the watched the Outlander series 😉 which I’m sure is super accurate ).

We hit Pitlochry just after 4pm, which is ideal really. I can’t get into the hotel car park, but I find street parking and check in nearby.

This place is quite fancy, it’s in the same chain as the lunch I had on the steam train right at the beginning for those who commented. Here it’s sort of a fancy gastro pub with rooms upstairs.
This was the costliest of my accommodation at £99 for the room plus a £10 Max fee, but also the nicest. My heart does sink a bit though when I see where my room is. Sort of up two flights of stairs and round a lot of corridors and through several fire doors. I really hope we don’t need 5am dashes tonight.
It’s nice to have a bit of luxury though too, most of my accommodation has been fairly basic, not even offering toiletries or tea/coffee in all cases. So this room with it’s very fancy toiletries and biscuits is very welcome.

We chill out for a bit, and I even nod off for 15 mins which is incredibly unlike me. Then we have a quick walk through the town, which looks lovely, and then head into our hotel/pub for dinner.
I order the spaghetti carbonara with garlic bread. It’s lovely but very big, and I only manage half, but I did have lunch today.

We go for a last walk through the town, I contemplate an outdoor drink at a different pub, but I can’t find a table, so I have a glass of car wine, call DH, and watch Indian Matchmaking on Netflix.

Miles travelled in a car - 147
Amount spent - £78

Edited at 10:55 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile

I love pitlochry. We have been to the Enchanted Forest twice and it's worth a visit ( after COVID &#128529 if you are in the area in October.
Old 22 Aug 20, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We had fish and chips in McKay's last Sunday, it was sooo good. Pitlochry is lovely.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Oh poor boy and poor you... hate it when dogs (or kids) are ill. Feel so helpless

Glad to hear he is recovering and you managed to carry on. Hope you are home safely, keep checking for the next installment

Thanks again for letting us tag along

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by christybell View Post
Oh poor boy and poor you... hate it when dogs (or kids) are ill. Feel so helpless

Glad to hear he is recovering and you managed to carry on. Hope you are home safely, keep checking for the next installment

Thanks again for letting us tag along
Sorry, there is one more day to post, not a huge amount happened other than driving and we got back to a bit of a scare as my FIL had a heart attack (thankfully now home in one piece)
Will get it up ASAP
Old 11 Oct 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Lovely hotel room! Very nice. And again, nice food! Love that you dined and wined so well on your trip Mitch!

You also have similar TV tastes as me, I loved Indian Matchmaker, was a fab show. Another really good day despite the dodgy start.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List