Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Apr 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr__Incredible
Helping Minnie

South Rim now or Later?

On our last trip we went to Grand Canyon West and I was blown away with how spectacular it was.

Everyone says the South Rim is even better and therefore I am contemplating doing the coach day trip with my DS14 and DS9.

However, I remain to be convinced that this is an effective use of time, what will effectively be 10 hours on a coach for 3 hours at the South Rim.

I suspect that post kids my Wife and I will visit Vegas and could do the trip more leisurely then.

What would you do? Take the trip now with the boys or so the South Rim another time?
Mr__Incredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Personally I wouldn't do a coach trip, I would want at least 1 night there to take it all in. You can't even do one of the bus loops in 3 hours.

South Rim is much bigger than the West Rim which can be done in quite a short time and is much closer to Las Vegas.

Some have done the coach trip and found it enjoyed it, mostly when cramming it in or not being a driver.

Have your DS's done the West Rim as well? And how much of an interest is GC to them?

When would another time be?

Edited at 03:32 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I wouldn’t do a coach trip with or without kids

I would hire a car , then you can stop off at places of interest like the hoover dam , Seligman etc and also see the Canyon properly .

Do the kid want to go ? Mine went to the west rim once and have never shown any interest in seeing it again .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

You usually get a visit to the Hoover Dam & a trip along Route 66 on a South Rim trip.
It was just DH & me and it was a long day but a great experience. Movies on the bus helped pass the time.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Yes done coach trip and loved it .
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

I wouldnt do a coach trip. Is something stopping you from driving? As already stated you would barely see anything, and its so beautiful to rush around. To me such a long coach trip for such a short time there.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaobsessed
Getting Excited

I’ve booked a coach trip... considered all pros and cons of the time etc but this way it’s only one day out of an already hectic schedule.. it’s something we all wanted to do and no one (especially me) fancied the idea of a helicopter ride to it. The one we have booked is with a company called grand adventures, they pick you up from your hotel (if on the strip) at around 6am quick breakfast stop and a pic in front of the Vegas sign before heading off with a stop at hoover dam. Once there you have time to look in the village shop before the walking tour which is about 3 hours (picnic lunch on the rim included) then bus back to the village and coach back. It says you get back about 9pm... long day but as we plan on spending the next day by the pool before a show that night I think it will be fine for us. If you’re not a keen passenger then perhaps not for you, I could’ve driven but decided we didn’t want the hassle either... each to their own... fingers crossed we have made the right decision!
Floridaobsessed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridaobsessed View Post
I’ve booked a coach trip... considered all pros and cons of the time etc but this way it’s only one day out of an already hectic schedule.. it’s something we all wanted to do and no one (especially me) fancied the idea of a helicopter ride to it. The one we have booked is with a company called grand adventures, they pick you up from your hotel (if on the strip) at around 6am quick breakfast stop and a pic in front of the Vegas sign before heading off with a stop at hoover dam. Once there you have time to look in the village shop before the walking tour which is about 3 hours (picnic lunch on the rim included) then bus back to the village and coach back. It says you get back about 9pm... long day but as we plan on spending the next day by the pool before a show that night I think it will be fine for us. If you’re not a keen passenger then perhaps not for you, I could’ve driven but decided we didn’t want the hassle either... each to their own... fingers crossed we have made the right decision!
Hope you dont regret it. Its so beautiful there and you really do need a lot longer to be able to appreciate it. Maybe when the kids dont want to go with you anymore you and your wife can spend the night there. A sight I will never forget is the next morning the moose just trotting past our window, and the deer out back of room as we sat on the patio. Have a great time.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaobsessed
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Hope you dont regret it. Its so beautiful there and you really do need a lot longer to be able to appreciate it. Maybe when the kids dont want to go with you anymore you and your wife can spend the night there. A sight I will never forget is the next morning the moose just trotting past our window, and the deer out back of room as we sat on the patio. Have a great time.
Lol I’m the wife!

I am sure that would be amazing and who knows maybe sometime in the future but you know what they say you don’t miss what you don’t know... although now I do so... 🤷🏼
Floridaobsessed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridaobsessed View Post
Lol I’m the wife!

I am sure that would be amazing and who knows maybe sometime in the future but you know what they say you don’t miss what you don’t know... although now I do so... 🤷🏼
Sorry! Still half asleep as it early for me here! lol First time we went we had a coach trip booked as hubby didnt want to drive. On the advice of people on here we cancelled and managed to get a cancellation at the cheapest hotel in the NP. I remember saying when we got there I am so so glad we took their advice. Its just beautiful.
I am sure you will enjoy it anyway, and may give you a taste to stay longer next time. Have a fantastic time.

Got a pretty hectic schedule from one coast to the other! Have fun.

Edited at 12:54 PM.