Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jul 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Grimdogg
Trying for More Ears

Price Paid? Can I improve upon the total cost of holiday compared to our last visit?

Hi there all

I enjoyed planning our Orlando Holiday for 2018 so much so that we have decided to take the plunge and do it once more.

My question herein lies with the total cost of the trip - accommodation, flights, food and tickets etc.

Last year we paid £3800 for a Flydrive with Virgin Atlantic, £1100 for a share of a 7 bed Villa with wider family, about £3000 on tickets to visit Disney and other theme parks etc. We then had about £1000 for spending money which paid for parking, food, tips and misc etc.

In total I think as a family of 4 we spent about £9000 - was this a good price to pay? We are planning to go again in 2021 - our kids will be 11 & 8. We will likely be travelling with parents and sister in law so will be looking at Villas again. Also we are restricted to fly during school holidays.

I have read the DIBB guide book over and over and trawled through various threads and know there are ways to reduce the total cost of holiday - please if you can offer any first hand experience/advice I would be most grateful!

Thank you

Mark
Old 23 Jul 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Mark. You can always reduce costs, and the feeling of being wiped out at the end of the holiday, by not doing all the parks. Maybe just stick to disney, saves on universal, seawork, Busch garden tickets. Or any combination of parks.

Flying indirect can be a good cost saving, but adds to travel time, and possible stress with little ones.

Unless you have to, book car hire and flights individually, be as flexible as you can on day of flying, it can be cheaper to do Friday to Saturday, so 15 nights, rather than 14, for flights that is, obviously, you need to factor more car hire and villa costs.

Somethings for you to think about.

HTH

Andy
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Mobile

My kids are 8 and 11, for 9 days over Halloween holidays, staying in point hotel and suites,(£700) flying Dublin-newark-orlando,(2000) plus universal (1600)and discovery cove (including SeaWorld and aquatica) (400).
Don't do Disney tho, so that's a huge saving for a start.
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Only 2 large potential savings in there are to either drop some parks, or lok for indirect flights.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

We have been quite a bit and now just do Disney or universal. Don’t do sea world or Busch anyway.
The two things you can do (as said above) is less parks and try and gets your flights as cheap as possible.
I have booked a flydrive for next May school hols as it is actually cheaper than flight only with ba.
So I’ve paid £1592 inc std suv doing 15 nights. Lgw-Mco. So direct can be cheaper. I wouldn’t do a virgin flydrive as the insurance isn’t included but it is with Ba.
Park tickets, you may get a bit of discount but you can’t influence them.
Can eat fairly cheap out
Accommodation, well already sharing a villa.
Our total cost for this year was £3850 2a2c (1 under 3 so only three tickets) split stay of hotels/cabana bay/rpr/apartment at Windsor hills.
Then we spent another £1200 on food etc
I got cash back on rpr, paid with avios on one hotel and used Tesco vouchers on another. All adds into the savings.
We upgraded our passes this year so only one ticket to buy next year
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Grimdogg
Trying for More Ears

So is booking a Fly Drive or package holiday cheaper? I think we will discuss the park options - we have done all before - in laws havn’t - it’ll knock some of the cost off if we skip universal parks... also where can you use tesco vouchers?
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs rcch
Imagineer

We use Tesco club are points for airport parking , we stay the night before, so also use them for the hotel, last but not least, our evening meal.
mrs rcch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sarah82
Very Serious Dibber

I bought our Seaworld tickets in the Black Friday sales so it’s always worth looking out for good deals
I also did car hire via Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire. He reduced my final cost twice before I needed to pay which gave us an extra little bit of spending money !

Edited at 08:54 PM.
sarah82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Grimdogg View Post
... also where can you use tesco vouchers?
You can use them through hotels.com or for airport parking via the Clubcard site.

We have used our vouchers to pay for a hotel at the airport the night before. You can part pay too and only swap up to the value of the hotel before tax (this you have to pay by card).

You can also book Universal and some Disney hotels through them too but limited availability.

Another option if you may be using a taxi in the UKto the airport is uber vouchers (can't use these for bookings in the states). Also, they do rail cards if you plan on travelling by train.

Hope this helps
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
If your V Flydrive price is just for you 4 then there are ways to make a saving straight away, we fly BA thru Gatwick from Glasgow & anything under £500 is a good price, it's no hassle as our cases leave us in Glasgow & we don't see them again until MCO & only land an hour after the Virgin flight. The next biggest expense is passes, Disney, if the increases keep coming then you could easily exceed 2k just for 4 passes to Disney then probably another £1200 -£1500 for Universal. If the £ strengthens then you might see some prices dropping but at the minute even food isn't the bargain it once was.
Villa is probably your cheapest option but you could also consider somewhere like Staybridge suites- Free breakfast & less driving
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List