Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Oct 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
traleegirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I've noticed that quite a lot of peoples homes I go into don't have soap in their tolilets (or bathrooms with toilets). We always have hand soap in dispensers in our toilets, and I find it odd how many people don't have any type of soap (hand or dispenser).

Not the most exciting of threads I agree, but I am genuinely surprised that so many people don't have soap in their toilets.
I have never encountered anyone’s bathroom that doesn’t have soap, and if I did, it would be the first thing I would say on exiting...
How could you sit in someone’s house with unwashed hands?
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

A family member of mine never has soap in their bathroom or toilet. I have to go use washing up liquid from the kitchen. Grim!

Not that I want to use their toilet as it's pretty unclean. Apparantly having 2 boys is an excuse. I refuse to eat or drink there.

I have a choice of a block of soap or liquid soap in my bathroom and I keep some in the kitchen aswell. People who don't wash their hands is my biggest pet peeve!
Old 26 Oct 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Minniebella View Post
I can’t believe how people don’t wash hands either!I told my Nan off once for not using soap in a public toilet and now my dd7 is on “soap watch” in every toilet we use.She will tell me very loudly if somebody hasn’t washed their hands and I reply with “that is disgusting!”very loudly go through the list of places they are leaving their germs behind.
Well she would be shouting at me as I never use the soap in public loos, nor the sinks.
That’s because I use alcohol based hand sanitiser... far more effective.
You actions in the loos, although well intentioned, may encourage negative reactions from some folks. Be careful please.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Never been in anyone's house without soap thank goodness. I am also on toilet watch, for people who don't wash their hands. Even on telly I watch to see if they wash their hands after using the bathroom. I have been known to smell my husbands' hands if he has been too quick in the toilet. I listen for the water running,but sometimes wonder could he just be rinsing his hands under the tap! Totally obsessed about hand washing and a quick wash is no good. Sometimes wash mine at least twice after going to the bathroom We were told to sing Happy Birthday to You song twice, but slowly, and that is about enough time to clean your hands... or about 2 minutes. lol

Edited at 04:55 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Well she would be shouting at me as I never use the soap in public loos, nor the sinks.
You actions in the loos, although well intentioned, may encourage negative reactions from some folks. Be careful please.
Our infection control nurse has stated that there are a lot of organisms which are only removed with soap , water and good handwashing technique, not just a splash of water, hand sanitiser alone doesn't work to get rid of the germs just protects the hands once they have been removed with the soap and water

Edited at 04:40 PM. Reason: addition
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Actually hand sanitiser isn't more effective. There have been quite a few studies done on it.

I remember watching a TV programme a year or two ago and this was tested against soap, and one in particular blacklight test made me feel physically sick. So much so I dumped all of our hand sanitisers and are now back to good old soap and water.
A friend of mine done the same even though her little one was fighting Leukemia at the time. She was sickened by what the programme showed, and asked the consultant about it a few days later at their follow up appointment. She keeps hand sanitiser beside the soap for us to use when visiting, as it's only effective after washing the germs off with soap

Edited at 05:16 PM.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Hand sanitizer kills germs but doesnt remove dirt including fecal matter(tmi I know). Always best to wash hands thoroughly including under the nails and then finish with a little hand sanitizer.

I have a compromised immune system and it winds me up the amount of people that dont wash their hands in my office.
Old 26 Oct 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Carex anti bac in the kitchen, B&BW and Wrights coal tar soap in my Bathroom, Dettol soap and B&BW in the ultilty and Dove soap in DH shower room ( No WC in that one)

I carry a little travel bottle of Dettol hand wash and Anti bac when commuting to work

I used to work in a huge food factory so I am extra cautious.

A friend was telling me he was in a local pub in the toilet cubicle was a man who walked straight out after not washing his hands and then he saw him sorting through all the cutlery holders to get his meal cutlery think of that x100 for all who don't wash their hands.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post
We have liquid soap at all sinks too

I am a community nurse and go into houses every day that don't have soap. We're not allowed to use bar soap, as that harbours germs, but I will happily use shower gel, fairy liquid, or anything else I can 'squirt'! We used to carry our own, but we're not allowed to now due to infection control...
We don't use bars of soap for that reason. We do use reusable containers and fill up with liquid soap.
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Our toilet is separate to the bathroom and we have creaking floorboards. You can tell if someone goes to the bathroom or not. I then have to wash the bannister etc with soapy water.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List