Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Dec 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

London, Stranger Things, Muppets and Magic

Had a few days in London for DH birthday - had a wonderful time!

Stayed at the Great Northern Hotel next to Kings Cross - got our favourite room and I swear this is the quietest hotel ever. In three nights only heard another guest once.

Arrived on the train lunchtime Friday - room was ready and so dropped off bags and headed off to Dishoom at Granary Square for lunch. Had a look round the canopy christmas market and then went back to the hotel to get ready to go to the Secret Cinema and Stranger Things.

Held at a secret location near Canning Town tube it was pretty awesome and as there wasn't a particular thing to watch (though there was a theatrical ending) was much more immersive - exploring the 4th July fair and the Starcourt Mall. Everyone had got into the spirit and was dressed in eighties style and if you interact with the actors you can do some cool things - DH played D&D with the boys - I got free vodka of Murray Bauman.

If you like Stranger Things I can highly recommend it. The tickets aren't cheap but we got in at 6pm and left at 10pm and the party was still going.

Up late the next day and on the way to brunch at Arabica popped into the House of Illustration Christmas Fair. Bought a few things but really enjoy looking around this every year. Also had a look around Coal Drops Yard.

Then into Soho for vinyl shopping on Berwick Street then pizza at Franca Manca. Quick walk to Covent Garden to the Apple Store to buy DH a new watch and then off to the Prince Charles Cinema for Sing-a-long a Muppet Christmas Carol. This was awesome as usual and turned into a Quote-a-long as well as most people knew all the words.

Sunday was a beautiful sunny day so just grabbed a granola pot and headed to the river and got the boat up to Greenwich. Had a look round the market but didn't buy anything, got the boat back and headed for a late lunch at Arabica (had enjoyed the breakfast so much wanted to try the rest of the menu). Back to the hotel for a bit of downtime and to get changed as we were off the the Theatre to see "When Magic Goes Wrong" - the new show from the Mischief Theatre Company - as usual from the goes wrong crew it was very very funny. Get in early as there is a pre-show bit and there is quite a bit of audience interaction if you sit in the stalls. Wandered back through an empty(ish) Covent Garden so could get a good look at all the decorations and the tree.

Monday another late start - checked out and left the bags - up to Dishoom for breakfast and then a wander back through St Pancras to go to Fortnums to pick up some bits for Christmas and then train home.

All in all a really good weekend!
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Wow, sounds like a lovely few days! Love trips to London, we went down in Oct but ours was more theatre based, saw 3 shows in the 4 days we were there!
We got the boat to Greenwich as well, was a nice change.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post

I have had the Stranger Things Secret Cinema thing pop up on my Facebook. I thought about it as we both love the show, but couldn’t work out what it actually is.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Air Hercs
Helping Mickey

Mobile

We love the mischief theatre company too! They have a TV series starting on the 23rd
Air Hercs is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Ds is going to the ST secret cinema in feb with his girlfriend , we were thinking of going but all the good slots were full
Old 18 Dec 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

We managed to get to the filming of 4 of the TV shows as well this summer - they were v funny especially when things went wrong for real.

Look out for 90 Degrees - when we were chatting with the stage manager in between takes, one of the scenes took 13 hours to film as the actors could only stay in position for 30 seconds at a time
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

You did all my favourite things! Dishoom, Berwick Street, shows! We are going to Stranger Things in January and can’t wait!
Old 2 Feb 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Well after this thread, I was tempted into buying Stranger Things tickets for DH for Christmas and we went on Friday. After registering we were given a particular 80s profile that we were supposed to dress up as. DH ended up going Miami Vice style, chinos with v neck t-shirt, medallion and linen jacket with sleeves rolled up. I was a power dresser, shoulder pads, lots of very colourful accessories and we both got great 80s wigs to wear. DH's wig was hilarious.

We were amongst the first twenty or so to get let in as we booked VIP and initially it seemed like it was just us that made the effort, however not so. I would say that about 95% of people made the effort with their 80s outfits. I don't think there was any reason why we had to stick to our given profile, perhaps they want to try to ensure there is a mix of all types and not just Madonna or aerobics Barbie style.

We really enjoyed our night, although we possibly did not throw ourselves into it as much as some would in terms of directly interacting with characters, as that is not our personalities. But we went along with several of the character sections / scenes, thought the science teacher was good, enjoyed the various dancing, general people watching and the ending.
Old 2 Feb 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Well after this thread, I was tempted into buying Stranger Things tickets for DH for Christmas and we went on Friday. After registering we were given a particular 80s profile that we were supposed to dress up as. DH ended up going Miami Vice style, chinos with v neck t-shirt, medallion and linen jacket with sleeves rolled up. I was a power dresser, shoulder pads, lots of very colourful accessories and we both got great 80s wigs to wear. DH's wig was hilarious.

We were amongst the first twenty or so to get let in as we booked VIP and initially it seemed like it was just us that made the effort, however not so. I would say that about 95% of people made the effort with their 80s outfits. I don't think there was any reason why we had to stick to our given profile, perhaps they want to try to ensure there is a mix of all types and not just Madonna or aerobics Barbie style.

We really enjoyed our night, although we possibly did not throw ourselves into it as much as some would in terms of directly interacting with characters, as that is not our personalities. But we went along with several of the character sections / scenes, thought the science teacher was good, enjoyed the various dancing, general people watching and the ending.
Sounds great!
My ds and his girlfriend got New Romantics , his ‘blouse’ is so funny and dd asked if there were pirates in stranger things 😂
Old 3 Feb 20, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
Sounds great!
My ds and his girlfriend got New Romantics , his ‘blouse’ is so funny and dd asked if there were pirates in stranger things 😂

I wanted New Romantics but we got “media hotshots”. I think it is based off age as I answered and re-answered the questions a billion times but was always media hotshot.

There were lots of tracksuits, mullet wigs but my favourite were a couple of guys wandering around in voluminous “blouson” style jackets, very 80s!