Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 30 Jan 20, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Mobile Warning to those staying onsite

If you are paying on arrival, be aware.

I arrived last week and used the online check in (boardwalk) and used my phone all week to get in and out of my room. Never had to go to reception (great development btw).

Anyhoo. The day before I arrived, I saw a charge hit my credit card for the cost of the stay. So I assumed that was the payment.

Then, I got an invoice emailed to me (on check out day) stating it was all settled.

I left the room and went shopping.

Credit card declined. Weird. I had loads available in it. I checked the app and Disney had taken the same amount again.

Raging, I head back from mall at Millenia back to the boardwalk (I had no intention of heading back that way) and speak to reception.

First guy I spoke to was as rude as they came. Spoke to Someone else who spoke to another department and cleared it up.

What they do is pre authorise the card for the amount owed. Then on your departure day, release it. And then take an actual payment for the outstanding amount.

Yes, that’s just wonderful. It essentially means for 3 or 4 working days Disney have kept twice what you owe to them.

Fine if you have loads of cash. Not great if you don’t like using a debit card over there and only use a credit card and they put you over your limit.

Long story I know. But beware. It’s a bloody ridiculous process.
papasmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

I’m really confused. Didn’t you pay for the stay in advance? Or were the charges all the things you charged to your room during the stay?
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrsmickey View Post
I’m really confused. Didn’t you pay for the stay in advance? Or were the charges all the things you charged to your room during the stay?
I was paying on arrival. Gave credit card details to secure the booking. Then they took a payment the day before I arrived. But it turns out only to be a pre authorisation .

I didn’t charge anything to the room

Edited at 10:15 PM.
papasmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Useful info but I would imagine most people have paid in advance so probably don’t need to worry about it.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

This happened to me when staying in a hotel in Edinburgh before. Infuriating! Apparently it's quite normal policy, but I had never been aware of it before. I did ask if there was any way they could state that on the booking information as it did leave us in a sticky spot at the time.

Worth noting though!
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I happened to look at my CC app the day after I'd been to the dentist (in the UK), I do this every few days as a matter of course.

It was for a simple check up but they ask for payment on arrival. I had my check up, went back to reception and made an appointment for 6 months. The same day or day after, they had the same amount as 'pending' and another as a charge.

Not a big issue as it was a fairly small amount and one charge dropped off within a couple of days. However, those funds were not available to me for those few days but next time I'll be paying cash on arrival instead.

Jill
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 03:00 AM  
Link to this Post
welsh wizard
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

So what would happen if say your Disney stay cost £3800 and your card had a limit of £5000?
Old 31 Jan 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
OP Sorry you weren't aware of this but from my experience it is quite common when paying at end of stay. It certainly happened to me earlier this month in New York when travelling on business. On arrival they took a pre-authorization for the full amount plus buffer for any spend in hotel then I paid in full on check out.

It is a bit like the new Disney authorization of charges when you do use your magic band to pay - potentially problematic if you don't have head room on your payment card but if you have a large credit limit you probably wouldn't even notice.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
papasmurf
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by welsh wizard View Post
So what would happen if say your Disney stay cost £3800 and your card had a limit of £5000?
My bank appeared to approve it.

2 x £1500. Put me a couple hundred pounds over.

I presume credit card companies are aware the first will be being returned but take it from your available balance anyway.
Old 2 Feb 20, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
OP Sorry you weren't aware of this but from my experience it is quite common when paying at end of stay. It certainly happened to me earlier this month in New York when travelling on business. On arrival they took a pre-authorization for the full amount plus buffer for any spend in hotel then I paid in full on check out.

It is a bit like the new Disney authorization of charges when you do use your magic band to pay - potentially problematic if you don't have head room on your payment card but if you have a large credit limit you probably wouldn't even notice.

This is true however, the pre authorisation should convert to a Payment unless the figure changes at all rather than re-charge.
We find this all seems to fall apart with foreign cards so I expect that might be the issue here.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List