Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 17 May 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Teesside23
Excited about Disney

Personally, i prefer Universal and Sea World Parks, however, you have to give Disney Credit. They know how to provide the full package. Parks, Resort, Food and everything else you could need. I have not been so impressed with the Universal Resorts, and their attempts at Dinning.

So we end up doing both, however never on the same trip. As it would be too much. In answer the question Yes, Disney is worth the money. However, there are ways of getting disney without breaking the bank. WHich is better than no Disney.

It is all good and we love it.
Teesside23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
What about offsite though?!?
True
Having said that when I costed offsite with food etc I still think it broke even so preferred onsite as I love the Disney bubble
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 18, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
bigplan415
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Mrs dee View Post
True
Having said that when I costed offsite with food etc I still think it broke even so preferred onsite as I love the Disney bubble
Yep, I agree with this, costing our stay with even a cheap hotel and very modest offsite food budget it broke even for me too once I added hire car and parking charges. Before finding the DIBB and finding out about free DDP and indirect flights I never would have discovered this. Our two previous visits had been offsite in cheap I-Drive hotels, not thinking we could afford onsite - but that assumption was all based on comparing package costs with direct flights, it'll always be DIY and indirect for me now, at least while we're tied to school hols.
bigplan415 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 18, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
So that's £4K each? And therefore £12K for 3 people (for example)?
Yup - 4k each...

Edited at 11:48 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bigplan415 View Post
These are our Florida costs for August 2017, 2 adults, 1 teen, 1 child:
American Airlines indirect flights LGW-Miami-MCO £1271 total (a very lucky "glitch" bargain picked up from a DIBB tip)
12 nights Coronado springs resort with tickets and QSDP £2999
Used Magical Express and Disney onsite transport so no transport costs
This is a moderate resort so isn't directly comparable to 4*, and alcohol wasn't included and it was 12 nights instead of 14, BUT we did get 4 pools at the resort, and of course unlimited access to 2 water parks and 4 theme parks that are open long hours and offer numerous rides and shows. Oh, and free memory maker and $200 gift card. So at just over £1k pp I found this compared very favourably to any European 4* all inclusive options I could find for August in terms of both actual cost and Value for money. Of course, the real trick is finding the cheap flights, and Disney prices have certainly risen this year, but this is still an example of how it can be done.
wow not withstanding lucking out on the flights 12 nights for 4 £2999 all in so @£750 each for accommodation, 14 day park tickets & all food / drink (not alcohol) that is fantastic.. tickets alone are about £350 this year ? ...

kudos for finding that
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

True
Admittedly I've never really drilled into this, but I always felt that much much cheaper options were available offsite?!?

Disney accommodation seems rather expensive, but as you say if you can get food included then perhaps that will tip the balance in favour of onsite. Also the issue of transport and possible parking.

I see they are now charging for onsite guests to park their hire cars
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
Admittedly I've never really drilled into this, but I always felt that much much cheaper options were available offsite?!?
I wouldn't say it was "much much" cheaper to stay offsite, but it can be cheaper, yes.

It's difficult to compare though. If you compare staying offsite and eating onsite to staying onsite with free DDP then there may not be much difference in price. If you compare staying and eating offsite at cheap hotels/restaurants with staying onsite at a deluxe resort and eating onsite at TS restaurants then the former will almost always be cheaper. But you're not quite comparing like with like. And then how do you put a price on things like early Fastpass booking, early ADR booking, EMH, transport to hotel/parks, being in the Disney bubble, etc?

We've stayed onsite and offsite and our onsite stay was a good £600+ more expensive than our offsite stay. But I suppose we did get more for that extra money.

The one thing I will say - ignoring everything else, the same quality of room offsite is cheaper than one onsite. Our room at the Doubletree resort was almost identical to our room at CBR but cost us less.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
yorky
Very Serious Dibber

I think the tickets are a crazy price and the just keep going up and up. However the crowds also seem to rise year on year so clearly it’s not putting many off. In fairness if you break it down day by day and use them nough they are good value.
Old 18 May 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I wouldn't say it was "much much" cheaper to stay offsite, but it can be cheaper, yes.

It's difficult to compare though. If you compare staying offsite and eating onsite to staying onsite with free DDP then there may not be much difference in price. If you compare staying and eating offsite at cheap hotels/restaurants with staying onsite at a deluxe resort and eating onsite at TS restaurants then the former will almost always be cheaper. But you're not quite comparing like with like. And then how do you put a price on things like early Fastpass booking, early ADR booking, EMH, transport to hotel/parks, being in the Disney bubble, etc?

We've stayed onsite and offsite and our onsite stay was a good £600+ more expensive than our offsite stay. But I suppose we did get more for that extra money.

The one thing I will say - ignoring everything else, the same quality of room offsite is cheaper than one onsite. Our room at the Doubletree resort was almost identical to our room at CBR but cost us less.
It is as you say very difficult to compare. So many benefits that cannot be quantified, e.g. fp access, Disney bubble... etc.

I have priced up onsite a few times and it doesn't come close, but that's us and we have specific requirements around accommodation that a villa is the best option.

I'm none too impressed with Disney food either, so that doesn't help sell the DDP argument to me.

Perhaps we should start a thread and try to piece together some of the quantifiable elements, e.g. accommodation, parking, transport, food... etc.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BIGDENNIS10UK
Imagineer

I was thinking about this the other day. So for ten nights port Orleans French quarter we paid £3700. That's £370 a day for the four of us including qsdp -so more than enough fiod to satisfy - plus six parks . Per person we are talking £92 a day. For us it's the flights that take the price of a Disney holiday up. Jeez if it was closer I'd be going every year. I genuinely think it's fab value when you think about it. The planning part - this is the bit I love ! We are doing Dubai for ten nights then canaries for a week ai this year - but no ... to my dh dismay I can't stop going on about Disney next year
Not to be nosey, but where are you stay in in Dubai and Dubai much does that cost?

Been thinking about going there ourselves, so trying to gauge how much it might be.
BIGDENNIS10UK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List