Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 24 Nov 21, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Sorcerer Mickey
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Contact Andy via email. The rates that the website spit out are only indicators, more often than not Andy will tweak the rates in your favour.

-Link-

Also for those that didn't know Andy can arrange car hire elsewhere, we were meant to be going to Boston and Andy arranged a good rate for that, albeit we couldn't go as the US didn't open up in time for our booking!
Andy got back to me yesterday evening, but unfortunately can't get close to the Virgin prices at the moment. I may hold off for a while and see if the prices come down any more.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Sorcerer Mickey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sorcerer Mickey View Post
Andy got back to me yesterday evening, but unfortunately can't get close to the Virgin prices at the moment. I may hold off for a while and see if the prices come down any more.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Well that’s really disappointing. I gather hire car market is a mess at the moment and maybe Virgin are hoping the prices will reduce and taking a gamble with cheap package offers, worst case they offset the cost from their own flight margins.

Hang in there, hopefully normal may return soon! Good luck.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 21, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Virgin is free cancellation so it may be worth locking in the price just now and continuing to check.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 21, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sorcerer Mickey View Post
Hi Tom, I was a little concerned about being dwarfed by all the huge SUV's and pickups over there, so I think the SUV does make sense for us, plus the extra outlet spree bag space!

I think you've answered all my questions in two posts there mate, so I think we'll probably end up going with Virgin for the all-in-one peace of mind. Good to know that I don't have to worry about being stung with extras when I get there too!

Thanks again for the help!
The Intermediate/Mid SUVs are not big cars in comparison to some of the large SUVs out there. They tend to be the same size as a Toyota Rav4 or a Nissan Qashqui. ...Ive got a mid suv right now, picked up from Hertz and its a Jeep Compass.

Anaheim 2008

California, Arizona and Nevada road trips 2012,2014, 2019
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Virgin is free cancellation so it may be worth locking in the price just now and continuing to check.
I've just gone through the car booking process on the Virgin website and I can't see anything about free cancellation and they want full payment up front at the time of booking. Am I missing something obvious?

They're around £1,000 cheaper than everywhere else I've looked at for a standard SUV next June, so if i need to confirm to get this price, I will...

ETA: These are the cancellation conditions I can see in the booking terms & conditions link they provide:
6. Travellers may terminate the contract without paying any termination fee and get a full refund of any payments if any of the essential elements of the package, other than the price, are changed significantly. If before the start of the package the trader responsible for the package cancels the package, travellers are entitled to a refund and compensation where appropriate.
7. Travellers may terminate the contract without paying any termination fee before the start of the package in the event of exceptional circumstances, for instance if there are serious security problems at the destination which are likely to affect the package.
8. Additionally, travellers may at any time before the start of the package terminate the contract in return for an appropriate and justifiable termination fee.

Edited at 09:34 PM.
PABBY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by PABBY View Post
I've just gone through the car booking process on the Virgin website and I can't see anything about free cancellation and they want full payment up front at the time of booking. Am I missing something obvious?

They're around £1,000 cheaper than everywhere else I've looked at for a standard SUV next June, so if i need to confirm to get this price, I will...

ETA: These are the cancellation conditions I can see in the booking terms & conditions link they provide:
6. Travellers may terminate the contract without paying any termination fee and get a full refund of any payments if any of the essential elements of the package, other than the price, are changed significantly. If before the start of the package the trader responsible for the package cancels the package, travellers are entitled to a refund and compensation where appropriate.
7. Travellers may terminate the contract without paying any termination fee before the start of the package in the event of exceptional circumstances, for instance if there are serious security problems at the destination which are likely to affect the package.
8. Additionally, travellers may at any time before the start of the package terminate the contract in return for an appropriate and justifiable termination fee.
Virgin car hire is free cancellation. If you scroll down a few posts you will spot the information where I have responded to others who have asked.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Virgin car hire is free cancellation. If you scroll down a few posts you will spot the information where I have responded to others who have asked.
I know that free cancellation has been mentioned on the Virgin website previously, as I have read it with my own eyes. In fact, a link was posted to the exact text only last week on another thread, but the link no longer works and I can't find it referenced anywhere else on their website. Could they have changed their free cancellation policy in recent days? Or am I being overly paranoid (probably)?
PABBY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by PABBY View Post
I know that free cancellation has been mentioned on the Virgin website previously, as I have read it with my own eyes. In fact, a link was posted to the exact text only last week on another thread, but the link no longer works and I can't find it referenced anywhere else on their website. Could they have changed their free cancellation policy in recent days? Or am I being overly paranoid (probably)?
I will post the info you want tomorrow morning when I’m on the PC as I have it bookmarked.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I will post the info you want tomorrow morning when I’m on the PC as I have it bookmarked.
Nice one, Mr T, cheers.

I know you've used Virgin car hire many times and I truly value your wisdom. I've only used them once previously and that was a short-notice booking where I never even considered the need to cancel, but with the volatility of the US car rental market at the moment and the faint hope of a better price appearing in the future, I need to be prepared!
Old 27 Nov 21, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

virginholidays.co.uk/holiday-types/flydrive-holidays/car-hire/usa-and-canada-car-hire

"No cancellation or amendment fees"

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk

Edited at 12:54 AM.
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List