Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jan 22, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
We had a similar issue with a neighbour. We had two Maine Coon kittens from the same litter who got on fine until a neighbour starting feeding one of them. Then when he came home his brother would attack him because he didn't smell right according to our Vet. It got worse and worse until we were sure one of the cats would kill the other. I approached the neighbour and offered to let her officially have the cat but she said she didn't want the responsibility!. I begged her to stop feeding him but it did no good. So we were left having to cover his vet bills, making sure he was in a cattery when we were away etc. but he spent 90% of time at their house. In the end we rehomed him to a work colleague who lived alone and he lived a long and happy life with her and his brother lived a long and happy life with us.
That’s just so selfish of them 😡
This is my worry, that when Teddy finally comes home that our other cat will reject him.
I did go as far as thinking maybe if we ever got him back I’d give him a bath to see if that would help a little and he’d probably need it as I doubt they’re fleaing him!
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

My neighbours did a similar thing with a cat i had years ago, they treated him as their own despite me asking them not to feed or let him in. Then theyd go away on holiday and just leave him! He tried to come in mine to eat but would spend the whole time fighting with the others and hissing and going for the rest of us!
They moved away in the end and took him with them
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
bigbaggy
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
If the cat has been living a semi feral life for 11 years, it isn’t going to change ways now. The most you can do is continue to collect it and offer food, in the hope that it will stay near your home. Also, with feral/semi feral cats you need to harden your heart, use salted water for bathing wounds and set a limit on how much you are willing to pay in vet fees, before euthanasia is an option.
really
bigbaggy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Trickytenrec
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

This is such a tough situation. Firstly I would take the cat back to the vet. It sounds like she needs a good check over! Some cats don’t really like living with other cats, and I think it would be cruel to keep her as an indoor cat if she likes spending most of time outdoors. I think if I was in your situation I would ask a rescue centre to help you re-home her well away from where you live, maybe in as a single cat household, where she can also enjoy the outdoors too.
Trickytenrec is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

I think that's the way I'm heading if I'm honest. We had other cats when she lived here before but I cant just assume that's OK for her now because she lived somewhere else for such a long time and she was alone then aswell.

I just need to know ive tried. She was a kitten from my sisters cat, i was there when she was born and I helped wean her - to lose her all that time ago was hard but to say goodbye again would be heartbreaking, even though it would be for her and make her happy
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List