Car/bike 3 1.01%
Other 14 4.71%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Jul 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Both, holiday and home improvements.

We love the holidays as the memories are important to us and precious. The break is also important. Our home matters too and we try to balance between both.

For the big jobs we sometimes have to choose between the 2. Covid has meant we have had 4 holidays cancelled so far, but it has also meant that the money we would have spent on them is freed up. We have built a gym at the bottom of the garden, all new decking for the top, and my husband is pouring a concrete base as I type this, ready for our swim spa to be ordered. There is no way we would have paid for and done all this without the Covid situation. We would have gone on our big family holiday plus smaller trip instead and ordered a hot tub.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I think it really depends. If something was really needed, ie windows replaced or home looking shabby, then that’s what I would prioritise. But for me I love my holidays.
We have been lucky enough to have gotten the whole flat redecorated during the lockdown, so that’s now done for the next 5 years give or take little jobs needing done.
We have chosen to spend our money on living rather than what we live in. We are just the 2 of us and live in a flat, a very nice flat right enough. That’s the choice we made. We did have a house for a couple of years but I just felt that I was constantly doing the housework.
I do think though that we will try to move to a house in the next 5-10 years so maybe for a few years my priorities might change again.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Always the holiday, life's to short
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Now I’d be more likely to pick a holiday but only because anything that needs doing in the house is purely cosmetic.

For many years we struggled financially and a holiday was three nights in a hotel 50 miles away that we paid with Tesco Clubcard vouchers . Our holidays are amazing and we treasure them.

We love our home dearly, it’s modest but it’s ours and if something needed doing that would take priority.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Holiday for me every time.
The wife is trying to convince me that we need a new kitchen - but we already gave a functional kitchen. If we didn't have one , far enough , but we do.
Spending thousands on replacing something we already have seems a waste. But if we didn't already have a conservatory then would be OK spending £11k on one as you don't need to spend anywhere near that to have a good holiday
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 09:38 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I put home improvements as I've never spent anywhere near £11.000 on one Orlando holiday. For over 3 years we didn'thave any holidays due to illness and in that time changed the car, put in a new kitchen and saved to redo the bathroom. Last year we put off the bathroom and did go to Orlando with our youngest DD but I think our next trip will be me and DH for our 30th Anniversary in 2023 but maybe somewhere different.

I was chatting to the kids (now 13,16 and 25) a few months ago about holiday memories and none of their trips abroad came top of the list. Holidays to a lodge in Aberfoyle with walks, picnics and simple pleasures came top of the list - no tv, no wifi, no mobile reception, no theme parks and very little sunshine in sight. It's not that they don't have great memories of Orlando too but lets just say our next break is back to Aberfoyle
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Holiday but £11 thousand would pay for two three week holidays in Florida for us
Old 24 Jul 20, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry just to clarify some of this was pulled out of thin air. It was the points that hubby was trying to make.
He said I shouldn’t have asked on here anyway as it’s a Florida forum it’s probably bias to holidays 😂

The £11k was just a number he said.
I don’t actually know what the next Disney holiday will cost but last years cost £8.5k so we would have probably budgeted around 10-11.

We are in a new build. Nothing really needs doing. It’s things that hubby would like done. There is no window currently in the en suite. No clue why but there’s not. We have always said we wanted a window but basically when he has said let’s get it done now cos after kids go back to school there will be no time and I have um and ah About it but then I say let’s go away for four days next week to the coast and it’s the same price he can’t understand my logic. We don’t need new cars or anything either. We were doing incrediblely well before all this stupid virus started but hey ho.

We also don’t need a conservatory. That was just an example. We spend more time in the garden so it’s the patio we would redo as the one they built is just a walk way really to get from garage to back door. We were gonna have this done last year some of you might remember but they were cowboy builders.

Anyway I digress.
All I was meaning is I am happy to spend the £8.5k we did last year on a holiday even though I know the same amount could be spent on xyz for the house to make it exactly how we’d want it. Yet I would chose the holiday over the improvements anyday even though they would last longer than the holiday
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Holiday but £11 thousand would pay for two three week holidays in Florida for us
Wow you get good deals then. Our three weeks last year was £8.5
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

My partner and I have an agreement- he saves up for home improvements, I save up for holidays. This year he bought us a new bathroom and I was supposed to be buying us a Florida holiday...it works (Covid notwithstanding) because he resents spending thousands on frivolous stuff and I resent spending thousands on the boring stuff 😅
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List