Notices

View Poll Results: How old is your house?
<10 years old 51 9.53%
11-25 years 106 19.81%
26-100 years 262 48.97%
>100 years old 116 21.68%
Voters: 535. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Oct 20, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

Ours was built in 1829 and still has most of the original features.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

The bungalow we now live in is 34 years old.
Our previous home well over 150 years old and although it had its problems we loved it.
We brought our family up there and have lots of happy memories.
Old 8 Oct 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

We have a 2 bed flat built in the 1970s as MOD housing. Looks awful from the outside but the rooms are so big and lovely, especially compared to newer flats down the road which are 50k more expensive with much smaller rooms. We have a lovely kitchen diner, a beautiful bay window in the living room and both bedrooms are doubles. Loads of built in storage.

I have no idea what we will go for next. A newer house is appealing but I should think budget will dictate when we get to that point.
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Our house was built in 1906, and has been in DH's family since the beginning, (thus it is very haunted, not only by previous family members, but also by the couple of spirits who moved in when I did 18 years ago!). It is a mid-terrace in an urban area on the outskirts of Birmingham. Not the best area to live, but then not the worst, either. I did harbour dreams that DH could be persuaded to move at some point and we would buy a house that was just ours, but over the last few years I have come to realise that he will probably never move from the old family home. The saddest part is that neither of my kids will want to live here once the house passes to them, and DH has no children of his own, (this is a second marriage for both of us), so it will finally pass out of his family name. It is fairly low maintenance luckily, although it does need some TLC as far as inside décor is concerned! Neither of us is good at DIY, and DH struggles to let anyone else help or do the decorating for us, so we still have unpapered walls from when the wiring was redone 10 years ago, polystyrene tiles on some ceilings, and a distinct lack of interior doors, (long story). But it is warm and cosy, with double glazing and central heating, and no mortgage!
Old 8 Oct 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Serious Dibber

Mine is circa 1875, a small farmstead although the land was sold off many years ago
wobblywibbly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Our house was built in 1906, and has been in DH's family since the beginning, (thus it is very haunted, not only by previous family members, but also by the couple of spirits who moved in when I did 18 years ago!). It is a mid-terrace in an urban area on the outskirts of Birmingham. Not the best area to live, but then not the worst, either. I did harbour dreams that DH could be persuaded to move at some point and we would buy a house that was just ours, but over the last few years I have come to realise that he will probably never move from the old family home. The saddest part is that neither of my kids will want to live here once the house passes to them, and DH has no children of his own, (this is a second marriage for both of us), so it will finally pass out of his family name. It is fairly low maintenance luckily, although it does need some TLC as far as inside décor is concerned! Neither of us is good at DIY, and DH struggles to let anyone else help or do the decorating for us, so we still have unpapered walls from when the wiring was redone 10 years ago, polystyrene tiles on some ceilings, and a distinct lack of interior doors, (long story). But it is warm and cosy, with double glazing and central heating, and no mortgage!
Oh I love haunted houses...are they nice ghosts? 😉
Our ghost is an old lady called Dorothy... I'm not barking mad either 😆
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
Oh I love haunted houses...are they nice ghosts? 😉
Our ghost is an old lady called Dorothy... I'm not barking mad either 😆
They are indeed nice ghosts. So far, we've managed to identify 6 resident and another 4 or 5 visiting spirits. Not one of them is nasty or evil. We get occasional noises/smells, and some poltergeist activity, and no, we're not barking mad either!

It's so lovely to talk to someone who doesn't think we are nuts, and has her own lovely old lady visitor!
Old 8 Oct 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Our house is a converted old estate building, we think it was once the coach house, built in the 1880's although there has been buildings of some sort on the property since the 1600s.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
They are indeed nice ghosts. So far, we've managed to identify 6 resident and another 4 or 5 visiting spirits. Not one of them is nasty or evil. We get occasional noises/smells, and some poltergeist activity, and no, we're not barking mad either!

It's so lovely to talk to someone who doesn't think we are nuts, and has her own lovely old lady visitor!
Oh this has made my day! You have so many, I'm jealous 😆
Everyone thinks we're nuts, they're are only jealous because they haven't got a ghost 😉😆
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
Oh this has made my day! You have so many, I'm jealous 😆
Everyone thinks we're nuts, they're are only jealous because they haven't got a ghost 😉😆
We have a ghost in our 4 year old house.

Ours steals one of each sock, raids our fridge to eat all the chocolate when adults are out, leaves lights on and keeps switching the central heating on.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List