Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 27 Dec 21, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
Originally Posted by iLaura View Post
The reason she isn’t included is because it’s a reunion/anniversary for the films, not the books. They are therefore including actors, directors etc rather than the author of the books. Irrespective of what she said and peoples views on it she wouldn’t have attended I don’t think. 🤷
Really ?

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 21, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The reason she isn’t included is because it’s a reunion/anniversary for the films, not the books. They are therefore including actors, directors etc rather than the author of the books. Irrespective of what she said and peoples views on it she wouldn’t have attended I don’t think. 🤷
Yes.. of course that’s the reason! Nothing to do with the fact that she dared express an honestly held opinion contrary to that of the Woke Narcissists that she plucked from obscurity almost at birth? That being a viewpoint that is shared by many, many other people who are now wary of expressing it for fear of ‘consequences’.

I reckon the organisers choice was Ms Rowling or ‘Harry’, ‘ ‘Hermione’ and ‘Ron’, one or other but not both. A reunion would have been pretty pointless without the 3 main characters.. note that I said characters (not actors) as none of the 3 has achieved a great deal, given the high profile that the trilogy gave them as it concluded.. or hardly anything. They are typecast and seemingly pretty moderate in talent.

Only in your dreams is Ms Rowling ‘irrelevant’. That is akin to the blind loyalty of some to VA and WDW, regardless of any action that they may take.

Ms Rowling has effectively been ostracised from all activity relating to the film trilogy, marketing etc etc. at the end of the day, she only created the storyline, the characters, was involved throughout the filming and also the theming in the Universal parks. Yeah, irrelevant.

What next, W Disney being expunged from all attachment to the Disney empire as he hasn’t been involved for a while?
Shakespeare removed from the credits for Macbeth?
Berry Gordy no longer associated with Tamla Motown ?

Nobody, but nobody could reasonably argue that the creator is in some way insignificant to any Potter celebration. She IS Harry Potter Hermione Grainger, Snape, Voldermort and not the actors or directors. The characters and storyline that she created IS what the film trilogy slavishly followed throughout.

You sound like Vanilla Ice claiming that ‘Ice ice baby’ has nothing to do with Queen or ‘under pressure’.

Edited at 03:13 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

But she was involved in the films, she speaks about it in the film you’re shown at the studio tour. She had some control over who was cast in the main roles and final say on the script.
She was always at the premieres too I think.
ScoopsAhoy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
From what I can gather that’s not what she said, she actually just retweeted something from an article about “people who menstruate,” apparently taking issue with the fact that the story did not use the word women. “‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?”
I definitely stand with her on that.
That was how it started.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Yes.. of course that’s the reason! Nothing to do with the fact that she dared express an honestly held opinion contrary to that of the Woke Narcissists that she plucked from obscurity almost almost at birth? That being a viewpoint that is shared by many, many other people who are now wary of expressing it for fear of ‘consequences’.

I reckon the organisers choice was Ms Rowling or ‘Harry’, ‘ ‘Hermione’ and ‘Ron’, one or other but not both. A reunion would have been pretty pointless without the 3 main characters.. note that I said characters (not actors) as none of the 3 has achieved a great deal, given the high profile that the trilogy gave them as it concluded.. or hardly anything. They are typecast and seemingly pretty moderate in talent.

Only in your dreams is Ms Rowling ‘irrelevant’. That is akin to the blind loyalty of some to VA and WDW, regardless of any action that they may take.

Ms Rowling has effectively been ostracised from all activity relating to the film trilogy, marketing etc etc. at the end of the day, she only created the storyline, the characters, was involved throughout the filming and also the theming in the Universal parks. Yeah, irrelevant.

What next, W Disney being expunged from all attachment to the Disney empire as he hasn’t been involved for a while?
Shakespeare removed from the credits for Macbeth?
Berry Gordy no longer associated with Tamla Motown ?

Nobody, but nobody could reasonably argue that the creator is in some way insignificant to any Potter celebration. She IS Harry Potter Hermione Grainger, Snape, Voldermort and not the actors or directors. The characters and storyline that she created IS what the film trilogy slavishly followed throughout.

You sound like Vanilla Ice claiming that ‘Ice ice baby’ has nothing to do with Queen or ‘under pressure’.
CFB, apologies I haven’t read this whole thread, but as writer would JK Rowling have the intellectual property rites to the books, characters etc and would this enable her to prevent this reunion if she so wished?
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 21, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
From what I can gather that’s not what she said, she actually just retweeted something from an article about “people who menstruate,” apparently taking issue with the fact that the story did not use the word women. “‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?”
I definitely stand with her on that.
I think this might have been the start. She has gone on to say more.
I can see both sides here tbh! My teenage kids, especially dd who has many friends who are trans or sympathetic, finds this whole thing very difficult. She absolutely loves the world, the books, films, the whole thing and it’s been a big part of her life. But she despises JKRowling for what she has said and how it has made her friends feel - who also love the franchise. Harry Potter is supposed to be a comforting safe place that they grew up with and now they feel a little betrayed. DD may just watch this reunion knowing JK Rowling isn’t in it. She may also go to the new film knowing she is being distanced from that. We’ll see.
Warner Bros are clearly keen to distance themselves from it so they can keep making money from the younger generations - it makes good business sense to them.
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
CFB, apologies I haven’t read this whole thread, but as writer would JK Rowling have the intellectual property rites to the books, characters etc and would this enable her to prevent this reunion if she so wished?
I guess that this would very much depend on the contracts that she has signed with the various parties.

I guess that you can buy anything, we’re you to offer enough money.

I know very little about intellectual property rights and markedly less about what contracts Ms Rowling has signed.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 21, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Buffyp
VIP Dibber

JK was heavily involved in the films though. She was a executive producer or something like that and had veto over the casting. Personally for me no JK no Harry Potter so unfortunately I will also be giving it a miss.
Buffyp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Buffyp
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
I think this might have been the start. She has gone on to say more.
I can see both sides here tbh! My teenage kids, especially dd who has many friends who are trans or sympathetic, finds this whole thing very difficult. She absolutely loves the world, the books, films, the whole thing and it’s been a big part of her life. But she despises JKRowling for what she has said and how it has made her friends feel - who also love the franchise. Harry Potter is supposed to be a comforting safe place that they grew up with and now they feel a little betrayed. DD may just watch this reunion knowing JK Rowling isn’t in it. She may also go to the new film knowing she is being distanced from that. We’ll see.
Warner Bros are clearly keen to distance themselves from it so they can keep making money from the younger generations - it makes good business sense to them.
Sorry but nothing JK has said is anti trans, absolutely nothing. Stating biological fact is not transphobia no matter how some people would like to dress it up. I have read her exact words on the subject as have many others and there is nothing inaccurate about what she has actually said. With all due respect if your daughter feels like that about her then she should at least follow through with that and disassociate from Harry Potter otherwise she and others are hypocrites. JK was heavily involved in the films and created the world, it’s no use pretending otherwise. Also while some people may watch because she’s not involved, many more , like me , won’t because she isn’t so actually it’s nothing like good business sense.
Buffyp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Buffyp View Post
Sorry but nothing JK has said is anti trans, absolutely nothing. Stating biological fact is not transphobia no matter how some people would like to dress it up. I have read her exact words on the subject as have many others and there is nothing inaccurate about what she has actually said. With all due respect if your daughter feels like that about her then she should at least follow through with that and disassociate from Harry Potter otherwise she and others are hypocrites. JK was heavily involved in the films and created the world, it’s no use pretending otherwise. Also while some people may watch because she’s not involved, many more , like me , won’t because she isn’t so actually it’s nothing like good business sense.
I agree. The silent majority seem to be once again overridden by the strident wailing of the vociferous, opinionated, controversial minority that want to change all viewpoints to their ‘unorthodox’ way of thinking.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196