Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Jun 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

New job at McDonald’s

My daughter’s first day at McDonald’s is next Sunday. She got the job a couple of weeks ago but was not allowed to start until she had officially left school (even though her final day was a few weeks ago? )
She is very nervous, very, very nervous lol
She has not started anything new since her first day of high school and even that was with her friends.
This is her first job and she doesn’t know anyone plus she is extremely shy!
She is hoping to work hours around her dance and then in September around college & dance so hopefully they are flexible with the shifts.
4 hours next Sunday 5-9pm
Any words of wisdom?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Don't be frightened to ask questions.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

She will be fine, they are mostly youngsters who work there and they have all been newbies. My daughter soon settled in at McDonald's
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Well done to your daughter, she must have been confident in the interview, so that's a great start. The staff will be expecting new starters to be nervous - remind your daughter that adults are nervous too when they start a new job!

I agree with the PP, and also to speak up if she isn't sure about anything.

Bet you're all excited!
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I could have written exactly this! My daughter starts her lifeguard training tomorrow for a full week then pending passing the exam on Saturday she’ll start the following week. She is unbelievably nervous like your DD. I feel like she’s had a lot of things out of her comfort zone recently - her college induction and prom last week now the training but I’ve tried to remind her that jumping in at the deep end (literally!) will be the best thing for her and that after a couple of days she’ll forget she was ever nervous.
Out of interest, the leisure centre have offered her 16 hours work a week, is this a normal amount for a 16 year old?
Good luck to your daughter for her first day!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I could have written exactly this! My daughter starts her lifeguard training tomorrow for a full week then pending passing the exam on Saturday she’ll start the following week. She is unbelievably nervous like your DD. I feel like she’s had a lot of things out of her comfort zone recently - her college induction and prom last week now the training but I’ve tried to remind her that jumping in at the deep end (literally!) will be the best thing for her and that after a couple of days she’ll forget she was ever nervous.
Out of interest, the leisure centre have offered her 16 hours work a week, is this a normal amount for a 16 year old?
My daughter is hoping for 16 hours. They have told her it’s a minimum of 8 hours - 40 per week lol
Can I ask how your daughter got the lifeguard job?
Do you need a certain swimming certificate etc?
My daughter would love that as a job lol
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

16 year olds must not work more than 8 hours a day and must have 12 hours off after a shift. The McDonald's where my daughter worked was very strict with this but a McDonald's where her friend worked would often try to get her to stay on at the end of an 8 hr shift if they where short and busy.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Wishing your dd lots of luck. I met dh in Mcds over 20 years ago when we both had a job there.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
16 hours a week with F/T college can be tricky. That’d probably be 2 long shifts at the weekend i.e. 9-6 which wouldn’t leave much time for college work.

I used to work 12 hours and then ask for overtime when it suited. I worked in a shopping centre that opened till 9pm so I’d generally do 3 x 4 hour shifts (one evening, Saturday and Sunday). I got time for a social life and hobbies, as well as college work.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by taylaboo View Post
Don't be frightened to ask questions.
"Would you like fries with that?"

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List