Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jul 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Vasovagal Syncope in Florida

I was recently diagnosed with this:

"Fainting associated with an external trigger

Fainting can occur when an external trigger, such as a stressful situation, causes a temporary malfunction in your autonomic nervous system. This is called vasovagal syncope.

In most cases of vasovagal syncope, further treatment isn't required. However, you may find it useful to avoid potential triggers, such as stress or excitement, hot and stuffy environments, and long periods spent standing."

Taken from the NHS website.

Since starting my weight loss journey 2 years ago I've fainted a few times, before this I'd never fainted in my life. Family and friends obviously jumped to conclusions and assumed I was fainting because I wasn't eating enough

The first time was on the plane to Mexico. And I know it's from standing up for too long (I was queuing for the loo at the back of the plane) I start with a dizzy feeling, slight headache, sick feeling, vision blurred and then hit the deck.

The doctors have been really thorough and I've had loads of ECG's done 24 hr and 48 hr where I've ran with my monitor on etc (as I fainted after running once)

So now I'm a little curious about florida, it says avoid hot and stuffy environments and obviously standing too long (it's funny I can run for 5 hours but can't stand still for 10 minutes)

Anyone else have this? or know anyone with it and done the disney experience?
Old 15 Jul 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
I was recently diagnosed with this:

"Fainting associated with an external trigger

Fainting can occur when an external trigger, such as a stressful situation, causes a temporary malfunction in your autonomic nervous system. This is called vasovagal syncope.

In most cases of vasovagal syncope, further treatment isn't required. However, you may find it useful to avoid potential triggers, such as stress or excitement, hot and stuffy environments, and long periods spent standing."

Taken from the NHS website.

Since starting my weight loss journey 2 years ago I've fainted a few times, before this I'd never fainted in my life. Family and friends obviously jumped to conclusions and assumed I was fainting because I wasn't eating enough

The first time was on the plane to Mexico. And I know it's from standing up for too long (I was queuing for the loo at the back of the plane) I start with a dizzy feeling, slight headache, sick feeling, vision blurred and then hit the deck.

The doctors have been really thorough and I've had loads of ECG's done 24 hr and 48 hr where I've ran with my monitor on etc (as I fainted after running once)

So now I'm a little curious about florida, it says avoid hot and stuffy environments and obviously standing too long (it's funny I can run for 5 hours but can't stand still for 10 minutes)

Anyone else have this? or know anyone with it and done the disney experience?
I also get this. I’ve NEVER had an issue in Florida

I did in DLP, they put it down to my body relaxing due to subconsciously stressing and then once we arrived my body relaxed and that was it. I also had a fit that time.

Since then it’s happened twice, once in an Italian restaurant and once in work.

If you’re worried about the standing, speak to guest assurance and they can look into a DAS for you. I’ve never had an issue in Florida - I have a DAS anyway so I don’t know if I was to stand constantly if I would have a problem, I can’t stand for long periods regardless of the vasovagal.

Mine starts as a very different type of dizzy to normal dizziness. It’s so much stronger and I know can tell when it’s going to happen so I sit or lie on the floor immediately and then try and rest for the rest of the day.
I am completely wiped out if it happens.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

My DS suffers with this. However, his trigger is pretty specific, he passes out during sex education lessons at school I took him for hypnotherapy but he hasn’t had any such lessons since so he doesn’t know that (not if) it has worked yet
JoJo88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
My DS suffers with this. However, his trigger is pretty specific, he passes out during sex education lessons at school I took him for hypnotherapy but he hasn’t had any such lessons since so he doesn’t know that (not if) it has worked yet
That is VERY specific bless him! Hopefully it’s worked!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
That is VERY specific bless him! Hopefully it’s worked!
I know right! I know it’s worked in as much as on the day he thought they were having a sex ed lesson, he didn’t even mention it in the morning before school, whereas beforehand he’d have been panicking. They didn’t actually have the lesson, and haven’t since but I have every faith. (I’m a hypnotherapist myself so I know how effective it is )
JoJo88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I also have this but for me its hormonal, I had a hysterectomy young and went on HRT immediately. Each time I have come off it (I've tried 3 times over the years) I have had the fainting as above. My body when not on it does not give me hot flushes etc., which are due to gradual hormonal drops, but I have dramatic hormonal drops which results in me getting a feeling of 'flight or fight' and it just fall to the floor, its happend a couple of times at home and once in Italy and its really frightening so I will just stay on HRT rather than risk dropping to the ground when on my own at a bus stop or something.
Old 15 Jul 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
amandathepanda
Imagineer

DH and DD both have this condition and have never had a faint over the numerous times we’ve been to Florida.
The doctor advised if they start to feel faint to sip ice cold salty water.
Old 15 Jul 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Apricota
slightly serious Dibber

I have this and am fine in Florida. As fine as anywhere.
Apricota is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Ds age 15 has this,never had any problems in Florida as long as he drinks plenty and make sure he increases his salt intake as advised by consultant.hope you are fine too
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Oh thanks everyone! It did make me laugh reading the triggers
Hot
Stuffy
Stress
Excitement

I’m organising my mums 50th birthday trip for 10 people including 3 kids. All of the above will happen 🙈❤️