Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 16 Jul 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Backpack or crossover bag?

My past two trips I've brought a bag with a long strap to carry on my shoulder/across me, but I've been tempted by getting a back pack as I figured it would spread the weight a bit better, and give me a bit more room. The bag I took last year was a bit smaller than a laptop screen and I was just about able to fit everything in it. The thing that puts me off backpacks is I wonder if they make your back really warm, and rub your shoulders depending on what you're wearing...

Any suggestions or thoughts!?
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
arabella
Serious Dibber

first visit had a cross over from kath kidson, pulled on my neck and was very uncomfortable, bought a back pack but was sweaty and there is a temptation to put loads of stuff in so it was heavy
2nd visit started with a back pack, then went into a bum bag however it was big enough for the essentials and the camera went round my neck. very freeing did not feel weighed down with stuff
3rd time - either a small back pack or a biggish bum bag have not decided
the trick is not to carry to much and as the lockers both at disney and universal are smaller not taking to much might be the way to go

2020, couldn't go to go Endless Summer, Universal

Edited at 10:22 AM.
arabella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by arabella View Post
first visit had a cross over from kath kidson, pulled on my neck and was very uncomfortable, bought a back pack but was sweaty and there is a temptation to put loads of stuff in so it was heavy
2nd visit started with a back pack, then went into a bum bag however it was big enough for the essentials and the camera went round my neck. very freeing did not feel weighed down with stuff
3rd time - either a small back pack or a biggish bum bag have not decided
the trick is not to carry to much and as the lockers both at disney and universal are smaller not taking to much might be the way to go
I've brought the same bag the past two trips and it actually worked out really well, but it was just the tiniest bit too small and I had to shuffle everything about every time I wanted to get into it, and there was only room for my day time essentials, rather than adding anything into it.

That's what I was thinking! I was thinking if I do get a back pack it'll be one of the smaller ones from Primark, rather than a school bag size one, as I know myself I'd definitely fill it

The thing that puts me off a bum bag is wondering whether it will pull my shorts/skirt down
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Apart from all the obvious problems with a backpack I always worry about stuff being pinched from it. The number of times I’ve seen people wandering around with them not quite done up and so easy to access, especially when you’re in a crowd. I’d definitely vote for a cross body bag (but not so big it weighs you down).
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

Lost count of the number of times i've been bashed by a backpack lol, people seem to forget its there when they turn around. I use a cross body bag but barely anything in it - as long as I have my magic band dont really need much more.
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

I used a cross body for about 2 days on my last trip, never again, even a small bag caused a lot of back and neck pain.
We used a small deuter speedlite 16 backpack for water bottles, suncream, ponchos and a bumbag for phone/money/keys as didn't want to risk people getting into the backpack when in busy queues.
We also took a larger backpack on days where were were taking food etc into the park or needed a change of clothes for water rides etc.
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
arabella
Serious Dibber

the bum bag didn't ride up as I had it loose not tight, bought in in walmart. It held the money, tickets, wipes, phone, tissues and was not heavy, i am a bit on the big size and this one fitted well. my sister got one as well and in her evil way laughing said once you go bum bag you dont go back she is evil though
asked for cups of water from the service counters so didnt carry a bottle of water around
the back pack I had was a large size from accessorize and it was too big
and i have the lets put loads in just in case it was hard work carrying it around to be honest
the smaller back back like the lounge fly size (not the price though) with only 2 zip pockets as like Twiggy1953 always worried about sticky fingers getting into the pack as you cant see it on your back
again as the lockers have got smaller in the parks and the original back pack would not go into the free ones now

2020, couldn't go to go Endless Summer, Universal
arabella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I've used a backpack in the past but, as others have said, it ends up with everything in it and very heavy. I've got a little belt bag now for when I go to conventions that fits quite a lot that I'll be using. The bag is on the top right of this picture:

I also have a water bottle belt clip which is great for a 500ml bottle (on the top left of the picture above).

Edited at 11:49 AM.
dpmcalister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I included a link with the post above but it's gone now and the post has obviously been edited (albeit not by me). Sorry, I didn't realise the link would have broken any rules (I've seen other people link to external websites). Can anyone shed any light on what I did wrong please?
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dpmcalister View Post
I included a link with the post above but it's gone now and the post has obviously been edited (albeit not by me). Sorry, I didn't realise the link would have broken any rules (I've seen other people link to external websites). Can anyone shed any light on what I did wrong please?
Possibly 'cause your not a DIBB Passholder