Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Nov 20, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I check every bill and every receipt.

Plus I check my Online Banking and Credit Card Accounts every morning to ensure I haven't been robbed.

I keep Excel lists of expenditure. Thats how I know how much I spent and on what.
Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
This is me as well. Spreadsheets for everything.
We've had a programme called Microsoft Money since 2000. On a DVD that's sadly not done now although you can get similar web based apps. We have all our accounts on there and Joan brings it up to date every couple of days then reconciles statements with Money monthly.

Our desktop crashed recently and we ended up buying a new one (not from the High Street) and the guy was able to recover Money for us. It was "empty" but as I back up to a hard drive every month I was able to recover all but a few transactions in minutes.

Joan can tell me how much we paid for the garage freezer in 2008 but the scariest thing of all is how much we've spent on holidays since 2000.

We also both check our banking apps at least twice a day.

Mick
Old 30 Nov 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Me too, my kids think I’m crazy that I still get a receipt for things if I pay contactless, but I come straight home & write in my Account Book, what if there’s a discrepancy, at least I have the proof
Not crazy at all. I record every penny and have done for years. And I check every bill. I get receipts for any contactless payments.
And I do a tax return every year - I have had many thousands paid back over the years so well worth doing.
This is nothing more than basic financial management.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
We've had a programme called Microsoft Money since 2000. On a DVD that's sadly not done now although you can get similar web based apps. We have all our accounts on there and Joan brings it up to date every couple of days then reconciles statements with Money monthly.

Our desktop crashed recently and we ended up buying a new one (not from the High Street) and the guy was able to recover Money for us. It was "empty" but as I back up to a hard drive every month I was able to recover all but a few transactions in minutes.

Joan can tell me how much we paid for the garage freezer in 2008 but the scariest thing of all is how much we've spent on holidays since 2000.

We also both check our banking apps at least twice a day.

Mick
MS Money is about the best finance application you can get. Even now, none comes close.
You can still download the final "sunset" version.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yes always and till stubs all kept check online accounts every day
DH had a fit the other day when he checked I’d written a good old fashioned check for something and hadn’t told him or filled in the stub just managed to stop him phoning the bank
It fair put him out for hours he’d been looking forward to having words
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I check every bill and every receipt.

Plus I check my Online Banking and Credit Card Accounts every morning to ensure I haven't been robbed.

I keep Excel lists of expenditure. Thats how I know how much I spent and on what.
I always check my online accounts and credit cards every day , it’s become a very easy habit !
I don’t have spread sheets, I like to put pen to paper and do monthly costs in a notebook.
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
MS Money is about the best finance application you can get. Even now, none comes close.
You can still download the final "sunset" version.
Microsoft money here too. Love the graphs, salary in and dive into expenditure
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

I check every bill, my 14yr old jokes about it. I read through my receipts before I leave the store too.
When I used to shop in asda quite a few years ago now they were the worst, the amount of times I'd stop off at guest services for a refund on the way out was silly. Sure it was never much but when you think of the footfall in a superstore like that, 60p instead of the 30p offer price for a baguette being sold right by the entrance soon adds up.

I check my bank most days and know how much all my direct debits should be.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

For those still using Microsoft Money, you can come out of the 90's now and use open banking and portals like Money Dashboard.

Another one for checking bank accounts daily as the dashboard makes it so easy to match actual against predicted or just using the banks app.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 20, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

oh my, i roughly know what i have spent but not down to the penny. though i dont think i really want to know
Old 1 Dec 20, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

I know to the penny , check each evening .
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List