Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Sep 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
We had an inset with Jim Roberson, life style/discipline coach. He had some great ideas. Think he has a book.

Hope her next placement is a success, her new mentor is
supportive. She should be meeting weekly. She needs to keep her tutor informed. She needs to find out about the class, any issues, SEN, emotional needs etc she needs to know about. Read the behaviour policy and make sure she’s being consistent.

I’m afraid I teach the little ones so I don’t have any actual advice.

Become a member of a union. Sounds like she was bullied out of the last place.
Best of luck to her
Thank you for all your suggestions, she has joined a union and unfortunately you are spot on with the bullying. It’s happened and it’s really knocked her confidence but with all these great ideas and tips (and hopefully a better school) I’m sure she’ll get there, thanks again xx

Thanks Deeley, we’re going to look up these YouTube videos today, thanks for the info! xx

Edited at 03:35 PM.
nonnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Wee_Red, lots of great suggestions, thank you so much. All of these replies have been invaluable to dd and she is so grateful to each and every one of you for taking the time to reply to her.

Your ideas did indeed make a lot of sense and are definitely ones that will be used, funnily enough she tends to gravitate towards kids that need extra help, whether it’s because they are struggling within the classroom or with something perhaps at home. In her third year placement a boy really kicked off in class, swearing, kicking chairs etc, dd spoke to him calmly and he replied by calling her “a cabbage“ of all things, followed by “a toilet”, absolutely no idea where these came from lol but it was almost as though he didn’t want to swear at her. The dep head told him to leave which he did but the following day he came straight to find her and apologised. Dd said that he was really shocked when she told him that she accepted his apology, almost as though he wasn’t used to being treated well. This whole class was troublesome but she loved them and by the end of her eight weeks they told the class teacher they didn’t want him back and would prefer her! I think the difference with this last school is that she had no backing from staff, and was constantly criticised but not constructively if that makes sense?

I was also shocked by the table incident but not having any experience inside schools I really didn’t know what to do about it, tbh she really tried her best to just keep her head down and get through it, unfortunately it nearly broke her but as long as we can help her get through the next one that’s all that matters now xx
nonnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Thanks Duchy and janeg88, I’ve read all these posts to dd and they have helped her so much.

I will update this post when she is closer to her placement and let you all know how she gets on, I honestly can’t thank everyone of you enough for your kind responses, they have really helped her put back into perspective that it’s the minority of staff that treat students/other staff badly.

She’ll now be busy watching YouTube, Twitter and reading her book that’s literally just arrived! Thanks dibbers
Old 1 Sep 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I really admire your daughter for going back and doing it again, it just proves she will make a great teacher and I so glad that she's not going to let a bad school break her. Hopefully her next school is what it should be and really supportive and she can see that it is not her, it was the lack of support and poor management.
Unfortunately I have seen toxic situations in schools break even the most experienced teachers (including me) and it takes a lot to get out of the situation and get your confidence back. Hopefully your daughter will be able to recognise when going for jobs what a good supportive school looks like and flourish. In the right school it is the best job in the world. In the wrong school it can destroy you.

It's 25 years since I started teaching (oh my, I can't believe it) and I've been in both supportive and toxic schools. At one point I thought I would never set foot in a classroom again and that I was a complete failure (this was after many successful years teaching) because of poor management and workplace bullying. Thankfully I'm now teaching in a really supportive school and I have academic and pastoral responsibility. It can happen to us all and it's really brave of her to give it another go. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would be happy to offer support and an ear if she needs it.
Old 1 Sep 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

That’s incredibly kind words and much appreciated, I feel that once she knows what school she is going to then that will help settle her, I’m sure that (well more hoping really) that it can’t possibly be as bad as the last one.

I may well call on your expertise so thank you for the offer! xx

Edited at 08:18 PM.
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Just a wee update regarding dd’s placement. She is now on week 7 out of 9 in a fantastic department in a school only 20 mins from home. The staff have been absolutely amazing with her and her confidence has grown massively. The head of department spoke with dd’s Uni the first week she was there, we assume she was filled in on what happened at the last placement although nothing has actually been said to dd.

She has her observed lesson on 11th December and finishes the following Friday, she then goes onto the supply list at the start of January... I can’t believe she will actually be a teacher!

I can’t thank each and every one of you enough for all the help and supportive messages you posted for dd and she also says a huge “Thank you”.

I wish you all a lovely Christmas, you are all obviously fantastic teachers and your pupils and student teachers are lucky to have you all xx
Old 1 Dec 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by nonnie View Post
Just a wee update regarding dd’s placement. She is now on week 7 out of 9 in a fantastic department in a school only 20 mins from home. The staff have been absolutely amazing with her and her confidence has grown massively. The head of department spoke with dd’s Uni the first week she was there, we assume she was filled in on what happened at the last placement although nothing has actually been said to dd.

She has her observed lesson on 11th December and finishes the following Friday, she then goes onto the supply list at the start of January... I can’t believe she will actually be a teacher!

I can’t thank each and every one of you enough for all the help and supportive messages you posted for dd and she also says a huge “Thank you”.

I wish you all a lovely Christmas, you are all obviously fantastic teachers and your pupils and student teachers are lucky to have you all xx
Wow, she’s managed that this term which has been the most bonkers I have ever experienced, she’ll have a permanent job before she knows it. Lovely to hear some good news.
Old 1 Dec 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
nonnie
Excited about Disney

Thanks twin mummy, she is the kind of girl that just goes with the flow so she’s been fine with it all. The staff have complimented her on her style of teaching saying that she is really quirky and noticing how good a rapport she has with the kids. I’m so proud of her for going back and achieving her dream and your so right that it’s great to have good news, thank you
Old 2 Dec 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Really pleased everything is going so well for her, chuffed for her.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 20, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
That's brilliant news! I'm so pleased for her!
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List