Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 14 Apr 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyfan87
slightly serious Dibber

4 go to DLP - Feb 2020 - Day Five

Thursday 6th February
I was awake first today. We were out of milk (UHT milk which I had bought from the shop in the train station on our first evening and kept in the fridge in the room) so I headed down to the coffee machine on the first floor. This was something I’d read about on here before going, and I’m glad I had as it wasn’t explained to us at check-in. There’s a coffee machine on some floors on the hotel and your room key has 4 credits per day each to use. There was green tea, various types of coffee and hot chocolates. It dispenses into small plastic cups but we’d taken our own bamboo reusable cups with us and 2 credits filled one of these nicely. We didn’t use all our credits every day, mainly because being golden forest we had the Nespresso machine in our room and access to the lounge in the evenings but it was great to have. I got back to the room at 7.20 with a latte for Matt and creamy hot chocolate for me and everyone was awake now. More dry cheerios again for the kids while we had showers and finished off the packing and we left the room at about 8.30.
Pluto was this morning character and only had a small queue so we joined it before breakfast.

William was a little unsure again but he was all smiles as long as he wasn’t too close!

Another plentiful breakfast before loading up the car (grateful for the VIP parking spot making this nice and easy!) and walking through the village to the park.
The sun was shining today and the kids were in matching jumpers (cute!) so I was hoping for some lovely Main St pics on our way in. As it was already 9.45 and we had missed the chance of the empty-ish Main St shots I thought I may as well chance my luck with Lineberty again to try for an Olaf meet. It was our lucky day and we were given spot 5, yay! So a quick change of plan and we went into the Studios. We met Olaf just after 10 and he was great, Alice loved giving him warm hugs and William enjoyed being waved at!

Back to the original plan and we enjoyed walking up Main St to the castle, soaking it all in and taking some pictures.

William and Alice were bot enjoying running round exploring a bit this morning so we had a wander round the hub, through Adventureland and into Fantasyland. We saw Jafar and Alice enjoyed the Aladdin walk through. Fantasyland seemed to be coming alive when we were walking through and we were seeing characters heading to their meet and greets all over the place.

As we went towards a kiosk to get a coffee the Queen of Hearts and Tweedle Dum & Tweedle Dee appeared and there was only 2 families waiting at their spot so Alice and I hopped in behind them. This was a fun interaction, the Queen of Hearts was trying to chop off Alice’s head and Tweedle Dum & Dee tried to save her.

Although he doesn’t like rollercoasters, Matt loves a teacup ride so he took Alice on that while William and I watched and shared a bag of mini cheddars.

It’s a Small World is a firm favourite by now so we went there next, William was only a tiny bit fidgety this time!

With not long left we asked Alice what she wanted to do and she wanted to see the Frozen parade again which was due to start soon so we went to Central Hub to grab a bench for a good view. William fell asleep while we were waiting.

We all enjoyed the parade (well, except William who didn’t wake even though it was super loud!) and saw lots of Kristoff who was dancing on the platform near us.

We had time for one more ride and we were going to use our hotel fastpass for Matt and I to take it in turns to go on Star Tours but then Alice remembered that we hadn’t been on Snow White yet. Ah well, there’s always next time! It seems crazy but we didn’t even set foot in Discoveryland for the whole trip – Buzz Lightyear was shut for refurb, as was Autopia and Space Mountain was frequently down so we just never made it across there.
I love the atmosphere of Fantasyland so I sit by the carousel with William while Matt takes Alice on Snow White. He wakes up just as the others come back. Alice had enjoyed most of it, though not a fan of the scarier bits with the Queen. William is still a bit groggy and happy to stay laying down in the pushchair so I take Alice upstairs in Sleeping Beauty’s castle. She loves the film and really enjoyed seeing the story told through the beautiful windows and tapestries.

And now it’s time to leave the park for the last time, sob.
Walking through the village we pick up a few bits of shopping that we’ve had our eyes on this week, a jumper for me and a Frozen lego set for Alice, and we go to Earl of Sandwich for lunch.
2 sandwich meal deals and 2 kids meals was 39euros. Apparently today William doesn’t like cheesy pasta…so he didn’t eat all that much, oh well!
We walk back to the hotel and load the pushchair etc into the car, in doing so I somehow managed to let go of the balloon and, despite the weight it had on it, it floated away and got stuck in a tree! I was devastated and wanted to go into the hotel to see if they had another I could buy but we really didn’t have time (and I don’t think they sell them there anyway). Alice was upset but was really good about it, I promised her I’d get her a new balloon when we were at home. I was nearly crying about it so it definitely would’ve set me off if she’d been really sad!

Very smooth drive to Eurotunnel, about 3 hours. Somehow neither of the kids went to sleep but they were in good spirits the whole time which was good! We were booked on the 18:20 but we were put on one 30 mins earlier and drove pretty much straight on when we arrived.
We were staying at the same Holiday Inn in Ashford to break up the journey home and had added on the meal package so went straight to the restaurant when we got there. I had a lovely salmon, new potatoes and veg dinner which made a nice change from the huge quantity of Italian we’d eaten whilst away! Both kids were super tired so went to bed quickly and Matt and I weren’t far behind after watching a bit of TV.

Friday 7th February
The kids were up earlier than we would’ve liked but wasn’t too horrific. Breakfast at the hotel was nice, buffet of hot food plus fruit, pastries, cereal etc.
Our ferry in Southampton wasn’t until 4.30 so we arranged with my sister in Gosport that we would call in to see her for lunch and a catch up for a few hours which was really nice.
All was straightforward with the travelling back and we were home at about 6pm.

Final thoughts:
It was a very different trip from ones we’ve been on before but we were prepared for this. I’m glad we booked for 4 nights as I felt it gave us permission to take more breaks and take it a bit easier without getting stressed about fitting everything in.
It was fantastic seeing the park through both of their eyes. Yes, William was hard work and full on at times but there were moments where he was having the time of his life.
Alice loved every minute and she was a real pleasure to be with. Despite saying that she knew the characters were people dressed up as soon as she saw them she was on board and fully in the magic. She found it quite tiring but coped well with this, as long as we took the breaks she needed.
Naturally on the drive back home I was already pricing up another trip for next year, thinking that perhaps Alice and I could have a girls trip at the start of next years Easter holidays as the price looked pretty reasonable due to not being French holidays then. However, thoughts of that have been put on hold for now, mainly due to Covid-19 leaving everything up in the air, both with our own finances and just about travel in general. Plus after looking more recently those dates aren’t as good a price any more so I think they twigged it was the UK holidays and changed the price bracket.
I would still love to go in 2021 or early 2022 while it’s still so magical for the kids. After having our own incredible trip to Florida in 2013 we had always thought we would go again, maybe when kids where between 6-10ish but I had a quick look at approximate prices recently for this and was shocked how much it’s all gone up since we went so that one is on the back burner for now. Will maybe start looking for some bargains nearer the time and keep our fingers crossed for a lottery win in the meantime!
disneyfan87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List