Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 28 Nov 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Understand your thoughts but there is a huge environmental cost in this. We do send cards but less as time goes by
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

I only do proper Christmas cards. I refuse to even look at emailed cards, I find it lazy, no matter what the excuse is be it "charity", pretty or anything else.
And I refuse to accept the excuse of no cards this year I'm donating to charity instead. Again, to me that's just lazy, and how do I really know a charity donation has been made?

I used to donate to charity every month, until I realised most of the money goes to people's wages instead of the actual cause, so now we donate actual items to our local homeless shelter and food banks instead. The school I work in is twinned with a school in Africa also, so I send money to them for seeds, school items etc.

This year more than ever we are sending cards, we haven't seen our family and friends in 9 months now, and they are definitely worth far more than the price of a postage stamp and card.
They will be recycled yes, but honestly I'm more for looking after my family and their mental health etc at the moment so that's more important to me.
A lot of my family have been shielding, and not been out at all, and my older family members dont use technology so a card is far more appreciated and personal than nothing at all.

I wont be licking the envelopes though, just folding them inside the envelope and the stamps I ordered are already sticky.
I'm definitely sticking to the traditional way of life... too much of our traditions are being done away with, and I'm sick of it now. Thankfully during this pandemic more people are going back old school and traditional ways of life... especially here where I live.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
I only do proper Christmas cards. I refuse to even look at emailed cards, I find it lazy, no matter what the excuse is be it "charity", pretty or anything else.
And I refuse to accept the excuse of no cards this year I'm donating to charity instead. Again, to me that's just lazy, and how do I really know a charity donation has been made?

I used to donate to charity every month, until I realised most of the money goes to people's wages instead of the actual cause, so now we donate actual items to our local homeless shelter and food banks instead. The school I work in is twinned with a school in Africa also, so I send money to them for seeds, school items etc.

This year more than ever we are sending cards, we haven't seen our family and friends in 9 months now, and they are definitely worth far more than the price of a postage stamp and card.
They will be recycled yes, but honestly I'm more for looking after my family and their mental health etc at the moment so that's more important to me.
A lot of my family have been shielding, and not been out at all, and my older family members dont use technology so a card is far more appreciated and personal than nothing at all.

I wont be licking the envelopes though, just folding them inside the envelope and the stamps I ordered are already sticky.
I'm definitely sticking to the traditional way of life... too much of our traditions are being done away with, and I'm sick of it now. Thankfully during this pandemic more people are going back old school and traditional ways of life... especially here where I live.
My nieces and nephews ALL send online greetings , often with a nice newsy message and pics of them, their families and their pets, sometimes video snippets of things they have done.

Soo much nicer and more involving than a card, costing money to send (so I might not even make the cut) that gets pegged to a string for a week or 2, then thrown in the recycling (if it has no glitter or plastic).
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I still send cards and I’m always a bit miffed when I get a message saying that the person isn’t sending cards but will donate to charity instead. I don’t think that writing cards is a waste of time, time spent letting someone know you are-thinking of them, is time well spent to me. My eldest ds who lives at the other end of the country, doesn’t send anyone a card on their birthday or at Christmas/mother’s and Father’s Day and frankly, it hurts. I may be old school, but to some people, a card means a lot.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My cousin said last year she’s not doing cards after I already sent one. I’m waiting this year if you don’t send me one I’m not sending you.
Old 29 Nov 20, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

We stopped sending physical cards years ago, we also will not use wrapping paper as most is not recyclable.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
We stopped sending physical cards years ago, we also will not use wrapping paper as most is not recyclable.
Tesco are doing recyclable cards and wrapping paper this year!
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
My cousin said last year she’s not doing cards after I already sent one. I’m waiting this year if you don’t send me one I’m not sending you.
That's what I do.
A few years ago a family member had the cheek to "pull" me about not sending her cards anymore. She done it in front of other family members at a gathering, my response was, well you didnt send me, so why should I keep sending to you. She tried the I donate to charity excuse and a few others at the table claimed to do the same... my reply was charity begins at home, and that includes lifting someone's spirits and bringing a smile to their face with the cost of a postage stamp. I dont nrec a certain time of the year to donate to charity, and charity doesn't always mean money. Letting someone you know that you took a few minutes out of your day to think of them, write a card to them and pay for a stamp is more charity to someone.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I was lucky enough to receive a hand-drawn card from MH last Christmas. He drew a snowman in a blizzard. Genius.

ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

The joy I've got opening real Christmas cards is to difficult to express in words.

It's not too late to send real cards guys so please don't let me down.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List