Old 14 May 17, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Washington DC May 2017 - Travel Day part 1

Hi,

Well I typed all this once and it disappeared whilst I was transferring photos from DH's iPad to mine so I will try again this morning.

As always on a travel day we were both awake before the alarm went off, set for 5am. I headed straight for the bathroom and when I got downstairs DH had a cup of tea waiting for me

We put the final bits in the case (my make up, his razor etc.) and I checked the flights were still on time and there were no known problems on the M25! DD1 got up to say goodbye and wish us a happy holiday - I'm sure she went back to bed as soon as we were out the door the taxi came a few minutes early and we were off.

En route I had to phone DTCI as there had been a switch of taxis and I needed to give them the new registration number, the first two calls she couldn't hear me although I could hear her, the third time I made DH call and it was fine . By this time we were only ten minutes out - please note that. On arrival at the airport the taxi driver didn't know where to go so I had to explain about the turning and I spotted it to tell him where to turn, the first barrier was up but as we went past it we heard a voice shouting at us. The driver stopped and reversed slightly and DH spoke to the machine which told us DTCI was closed due to a technical problem (which they couldn't have told us ten minutes before when we phoned ). This resulted in the poor taxi driver having to try and reverse back in to the traffic so he could take us to the main drop off.

At the main check in we just had to wait for one of the desks to be free and then we were quickly checked in and off to the clubhouse. First stop was the dining area and a glass of fizz, here is DH

Two full English breakfasts later we moved to the main area for tea (me) and orange juice (DH). We went on the internet, read the papers, chatted, people watched and I may or may not have indulged in a cheeky glass of Malbec

Now I know a lot of people say the LHR clubhouse is way better than LGW but I disagree. The old LGW clubhouse (before they changed terminals as I haven't been since) although smaller seemed more comfortable with much friendlier staff.

Soon they announced our gate and we went and met the special assistance guy who took us to the gate by electric vehicle. No sooner did we get there than they called priority boarding so we were up again. We were sitting near the door so we were actually the first ones on the planes, a sharp left turn and we found our seats 4a and 5a. We had just sorted ourselves out when we were offered a glass of champagne.

Take off was ten minutes late but we did make up the time and land early. The crew were excellent throughout. We had drinks and crisps, then DH had a starter (I didn't fancy any of them)

Chicken kebabs. Then my main was salmon which was absolutely fantastic, one of the best aeroplane meals I have had and DH had the chicken (again)

For dessert We both had the salted caramel chocolate pudding with cream.

This was of course followed by cheese and port.

I was part way through watching Collateral Beauty - good film- so I finished that and then decided to have my bed made up for a snooze.

Part 2 to follow...
Old 15 May 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds great apart from the check in bit! Is that the Upper Class Wing check in Sue? We're supposed to be doing that next week! Food looks lovely!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 17, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
Sounds great apart from the check in bit! Is that the Upper Class Wing check in Sue? We're supposed to be doing that next week! Food looks lovely!
Yes that was the Upper Class Wing which was closed.
Old 21 May 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Id love to fly upper class. The food looks so good
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_bell
Imagineer

miss_bell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Wow the food looks great
1990 Motel 1991 I Drive 1995 & 1998 Villa 2003 Lindfields 2005 & 2007 SL 2005 Bahama Bay 2006 NBH 2008 Liki tiki Resort 2009 & 2018 POFQ 2011 & 2016 Cheyenne 2012 OKW 2013 Coral Cay 2015 SSL 2015 SSR&BCR 2019 WL 2016 & 2022 CSR 2014 & 2023 CBR 2024 ASMU

miss_bell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Usually (although you can get a bad flight), it is a great improvement on normal i.e. Economy food.