Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 20 Sep 15, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Howdy Texas! Day 11 Horses and Hay Rides

We were up bright and early for breakfast, which was pancakes and sausage, with some veggie sausages especially for Hannah which she was pleased with. While we were all eating breakfast, the owner of the Ranch, Clay, came round the tables and sorted out ride times for everyone. We were riding at 10.10, so after breakfast, we had time to explore a little bit.

Paul and I were watching the pigs when they suddenly went crazy at the sound of a truck backing up to their enclosure. We soon realised why when the two guys got out of the truck and poured a bucket of leftovers into their feeding trough. The pigs were going mad for it - grunting and climbing over each other to get to the food. Nice to see nothing goes to waste!

We enjoyed our second ride and relaxed afterwards on the porch, reading in the shade. After such a big breakfast, we weren't all that hungry for lunch, but went anyway. And we also had the embarrassing Mum incident which seems to happen every time we go away! The cabin door was one that you lock from the inside by turning the latch. I went to get the key and locked the door behind me - then looked down and realised that I'd picked up a hair clip instead of the key and locked us all out.

The staff were very nice and gave me a spare key but there was a certain amount of mockery from the rest of the family. Sheesh - it's not like I put a heater on or anything . . .

Lunch was chicken pasta, with a veggie version for Hannah, and we really enjoyed the meal and chatting with the lovely couple from San Antonio we had met the night before. Again Clay came around the tables, giving us all ride times for later on.

The afternoon ride was very hot but we enjoyed it. I got Popeye, who wanted to eat everything in sight, while Paul had Jet who needed a good whack with the quirt now and again to get him going. Hannah had Custer, who I'd ridden earlier, and Evan got Bob who was very laid back. We were starting to feel more confident and getting to know the horses a little better.

After the ride, Paul and I went for a walk on one of the trails around the ranch. We ended up getting a bit lost and then bumped into another group having a ride. Wrangler Chris asked if we were looking for a Starbucks - we told him "No, Burger King!". He then told us that he preferred Whataburger and that once we'd eaten a few of those, we'd be real Texans - drilling for oil and buying a gun!

We cooled off with another swim, and later on there was a barbecue for dinner. We could smell the meat smoking all day so were really looking forward to it. Fortunately the beans were veggie! Everyone ate at tables outside and a couple of guys came along to play guitar and sing which was lovely. We had a great chat about Texas Country with our new friends from San Antonio and they gave us some artists to look out for.

The after dinner entertainment was a hay ride around the Ranch which was fun - if a little prickly! We drove around and saw all the horses grazing which was lovely.

After the ride, there was marshmallow toasting again and we sat around the fire pit, talking to other families which was a really nice way to finish the day.

As we walked back to the cabin, we spotted this horse who had come to visit. He stood there for ages, possibly napping, and we really enjoyed seeing him.

Then it was bed time. We had been told that other guests had seen a scorpion in their cabin(!), so were careful not to walk around barefoot in the dark. However, we weren't visited by stinging creatures - which we didn't mind at all!

Edited at 01:39 PM.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 15, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The horse rides sound great fun and all the food sounds brilliant. Glad you didn't get a visit from a scorpion though - did you wear shoes inside? Think I would have kept my boots on!
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 15, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Busy day with all that riding! Though it sounds a chilled out time too!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 15, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiebaz View Post
The horse rides sound great fun and all the food sounds brilliant. Glad you didn't get a visit from a scorpion though - did you wear shoes inside? Think I would have kept my boots on!
Wore flip flops inside and made sure to shake boots out!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 15, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Busy day with all that riding! Though it sounds a chilled out time too!

It was lovely - glad that the saddles were super comfy though!
Old 1 Oct 15, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds like a really fun day

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 15, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
Sounds like a really fun day
It really was !
Old 3 May 17, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

What a brilliant day, and Hannah got fed, hurrah. Those pigs sound like my two dogs at dinner time. Did make me laugh.
The people on the ranch sound so nice and it all seems very well set up. Brill couple of days.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 17, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
What a brilliant day, and Hannah got fed, hurrah. Those pigs sound like my two dogs at dinner time. Did make me laugh.
The people on the ranch sound so nice and it all seems very well set up. Brill couple of days.
It was a really lovely couple of days and completely different from anything we'd done before.
Old 26 Aug 23, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds like a great day 👍🏻