Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Mar 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
purikura
Trying for More Ears

Question Travel anxiety

Hello all

We are going to WDW for the first time in October this year! It'll be both mine and DH's first time in the States and I've got so much anxiety
DH is a Canadian citizen living in the UK on a visa. I've contacted US border control about whether he needs an ESTA and they have told me that he doesn't, but it felt like an automated response. I'm just concerned that because he is flying from the UK that he might need a visa or something? He will be travelling on his Canadian passport of course.. just don't want to turn up and be turned away
On top of that I suffer from major travel anxiety. Specifically, I'm extremely anxious about getting on/off flights. It's something to do with the crowds and the rush. I'm getting so worked up about getting off at MCO and rushing to immigration and the potential of having to wait hours.. combined with the fear that we will wait hours just to be turned away! We're flying with Virgin, premium economy in the bubble.
Just wondered if anyone can set my fears at ease
purikura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

I think the lines at MCO are divided US and non US. There is no designation I can remember for Canadian. He should just do whatever the rest of Canada does, which will probably be get in the non US line.

There is a lot of talk about the rushing to get off a flight. The reality is that everyone just takes their turn but most of them are in an agitated state. The queue is what it is, you can't change it, or beat it. People file off the aircraft in reasonably civil order, and then all walk fast through the corridors to the immigration hall.

The officers are not looking to catch quota's they are looking to confirm you are a genuine traveller, and they are trained and good at it. what might seem like personal questions are just him/her trying to confirm you've got good reason to go home after your holiday and not go hiding out in the US.
Old 25 Mar 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Look at it this way. Anxiety is a MH issue you cant control it just manage it.
Get a sunflower lanyard.
It ll show there is a hidden disability.
Email virgin mco and ur departing airport.
They will explain what if any assistance they can provide.
Hth
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Go to your GP and ask about medication to help with your anxiety - it works wonders
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

If you are in the bubble you will be first off after UC so the wait at immigration shouldn't be too long. It took us about 10 mins last year
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
First timer loz
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Me and my partner and 2 children are going in October, all of our first times and I too and am a nervous traveller especially flying, but I’ve figured I’m not going to let it hold me back from taking my 2 children, that’s what I keep telling myself anyway in the hope of by October Im abit more relaxed ! 😁
First timer loz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by purikura View Post
Hello all

We are going to WDW for the first time in October this year! It'll be both mine and DH's first time in the States and I've got so much anxiety
DH is a Canadian citizen living in the UK on a visa. I've contacted US border control about whether he needs an ESTA and they have told me that he doesn't, but it felt like an automated response. I'm just concerned that because he is flying from the UK that he might need a visa or something? He will be travelling on his Canadian passport of course.. just don't want to turn up and be turned away
On top of that I suffer from major travel anxiety. Specifically, I'm extremely anxious about getting on/off flights. It's something to do with the crowds and the rush. I'm getting so worked up about getting off at MCO and rushing to immigration and the potential of having to wait hours.. combined with the fear that we will wait hours just to be turned away! We're flying with Virgin, premium economy in the bubble.
Just wondered if anyone can set my fears at ease
I think Canadians can travel to US very easily, tell him to look it up though.

I get a lot of anxiety at airports, both departing and arriving, it is one reason we always stay in an airport hotel the night before even though we are not much over an hour away from both Gatwick and Heathrow.

Immigration queue is especially stressful for me, I haven’t faced big queues in recent years, but just in case I take something with me to do in the queue, like a book or better still a puzzle book. Then DH just herds me along and I zone out.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm never completely relaxed until we are in the villa with a supermarket shop and liquor store shop done. Then its unpacking, a dip in the pool, and drinks on the deck. Heaven!
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
purikura
Trying for More Ears

Thank you all for the replies
I think the idea about having something to do in the queue is super helpful, and honestly hadn't thought of that. I am also thinking about getting something prescribed for my anxiety .. it's super annoying because I'm not at all afraid of flying, it's purely the rush + crush of people to get on/off and through immigration. I genuinely think that my anxiety has been made so much worse after getting the Eurostar to DLP the last couple of years, since it's been so stressful and awful every time
I have checked again at US CBP website and it says just passport is fine. So I need to take a chill pill and accept that it's fine.
purikura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
2019DisneyEvans
Excited about Disney

With regards to the plane we usually wait until everyone else is well on their way before we get off. I hate the crush of people and the kids usually like to chat to the pilot anyway. Anxiety can be awful but as long as you have some tools to manage the symptoms you should be ok. I always try and keep the goal in sight (Disney in this case) Sometimes breaking tasks into small chunks can help as well.
2019DisneyEvans is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List