Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Aug 21, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Virgin EDI-MCO schedule - starts 29/3/22

Virgin have released some details of their new EDI-MCO service due to start on 29th March 2022.

EDI-MCO

VS225 (Wednesday & Saturday)
Departs Edinburgh at 11:20
Arrives Orlando International at 16:15

MCO-EDI

VS226 (Tuesday & Friday)
Departs Orlando International at 18:15
Arrives Edinburgh 07:25 +1

Flights scheduled to go on sale 18th August
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Good post. Not for me here in the South but do we know why they have swapped from Glasgow to Edinburgh?

Is it landing fees?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That’s good for folk who already have flights booked - no need for accommodation changes. But, for me, was hoping they would be back to including a 14 day option.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

I see it's still that odd schedule where you can't do 7/14/21 nights but maybe they are doing it in response to customer feedback I suppose.

I would consider using it as EDI isn't too far for us (Carlisle) but historically VS's GLA offer has not been financially attractive for us and living as we do in the grim North we don't have too much of a problem travelling to airports that are further away, especially when it can often mean a saving of over £1000 for us, so even if you factor in airport hotel etc there's much more spending money!
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Good post. Not for me here in the South but do we know why they have swapped from Glasgow to Edinburgh?

Is it landing fees?
I haven't looked into the background for the change - sure it will come out in the press eventually.

The change when the flights were in Glasgow to the odd timings of the days of travel has been adopted for the new Edinburgh flights.

Edited at 09:46 AM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
col1968
Apprentice Imagineer

so virgin not adding edinburgh, they repalacing this with glasgow so no more VA flights from GLA ? Is that right?
col1968 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by col1968 View Post
so virgin not adding edinburgh, they repalacing this with glasgow so no more VA flights from GLA ? Is that right?
Virgin are starting EDI-MCO next March and they have adopted a similar schedule to the one that had been in place from Glasgow before they announced Glasgow would no longer be operational.
Old 14 Aug 21, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

Is it landing fees?
I would imagine that landing fees & passenger fees certainly played a part in the decision.

Also, EDI is well accessed via the East Coast mainline, making rail travel to the airport a possibility & opening up the East Coast as a potential new market.

Manchester airport is readily accessible from the Glasgow area via the West Coast mainline. This along with the pricing of thee ex-GLA flights (often high) allow Virgin to tap into more of the Scottish & northern markets, be it via EDI or MAN. Potentially a win-win situation.

It will be interesting to see the price-point Virgin sell the EDI flights for though. It would be crazy if it was cheaper to go indirect EDI-LHR-MCO than direct EDI-MCO. Stranger things have happened though.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I would imagine that landing fees & passenger fees certainly played a part in the decision.

Also, EDI is well accessed via the East Coast mainline, making rail travel to the airport a possibility & opening up the East Coast as a potential new market.

Manchester airport is readily accessible from the Glasgow area via the West Coast mainline. This along with the pricing of thee ex-GLA flights (often high) allow Virgin to tap into more of the Scottish & northern markets, be it via EDI or MAN. Potentially a win-win situation.

It will be interesting to see the price-point Virgin sell the EDI flights for though. It would be crazy if it was cheaper to go indirect EDI-LHR-MCO than direct EDI-MCO. Stranger things have happened though.
We live in the NE and virgin flying from Edinburgh certainly opens up an extra option for us. It’s probably easier for us to get to Edinburgh than to Manchester by train as there are more direct ones.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 21, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
That’s really helpful thanks. We’ve been able to switch our cancelled Manchester flights back to Glasgow next year and at least we know now that the flight times/days are the same and we can get accommodation sorted.

It suits us this time because it’s a special trip and I’ve already had those extra days sorted but it would be nice if it went back to a more standard route. Hopefully when things get back to normal we could have Friday, Saturday & Sunday!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List