Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 10 May 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gr8WideSomewher
Excited about Disney

When you gachapon a star: Tokyo Disney and Japan 2019 - Day 16

Hey guys, I’m back and we’re nearly at the end! I felt the pressure to get this day up today because Bex spent the bank holiday reading the trip report up to Day 15 and she wants to know how it ends ha ha. This is quite a long one, so make yourselves a cuppa (or a g&t if you’re me ) and settle in!

Day 16 - Last day in DisneySea, featuring pirates and getting soaked

Naturally, it was an early start for our last day in Disney. We got up at 6.30; though I was raring to go after an early night, Bex found it quite difficult to wake up. She’s quite a heavy sleeper. Regular readers may remember that on our last trip to Walt Disney World, Jeannie and I had to sing Disney hits to wake her up in the morning.

We took some pictures of the bay from our hotel window. The weather didn’t look promising but we had our fingers crossed.

We had long ago decided that DisneySea would be our last park. Of course, we’d heard how wonderful it was, but if we still had any lingering doubts about our decision, those had been scotched within minutes of seeing the place. I really cannot stress enough how perfect a Disney park DisneySea is!

The weather was fairly promising for our last day. The air was a bit cooler and, though the forecast said there would be a bit of rain later in the day, it didn’t look too bad.

We walked to the monorail (as you may remember, the buses didn’t operate so early in the morning) and caught the train to DisneySea. We had bought our tickets the previous day.

When we arrived at the park we were immediately struck by how busy it was.

We waited in the queue with everyone else and, when we were all let it in at 8:00, we realised that there was a special event on. Becky had actually mentioned several months before that we would sadly be missing the start of the Disney Pirates Summer at DisneySea by a day and what a shame that was. It appeared, however, that this was some sort of preview day for the event because all of the shows and parades were on, it was extremely busy, and we also spotted some press interviewing people and taking pictures too.

Although the Pirates Summer event meant that the park was the busiest we’d seen it, we were still extremely happy to get the chance to experience it. As you’ll see, the event was heaps of fun and made this day extra special for us.

There was no time to think about pirates at that moment, however, as rope drop meant getting fastpasses as quickly as possible! There was the usual stampede for Toy Story Mania fastpasses; in fact, everyone in the park seemed to be doing the same thing as us.

The queue for fastpasses was already down the street in the American Waterfront area by the time we joined it. It moved fairly quickly, however, and we picked up our fastpasses 10 minutes later. They were for 12:10 to 13:10 - obviously later in the day than we’d hoped, but we were lucky to get any at all! When we emerged from the Toyville Trolley Park the queue was much worse! Some of the people may have just joined the queue not knowing what it was for (it was so far away from Toyville that you wouldn’t have been able to tell) and certainly wouldn’t get fastpasses before they all ran out.

Next, of course, we had to ride Journey to the Centre of the Earth so we run-walked round to the Mysterious Island.

The posted wait time was only 10 minutes so we joined the queue. In fact, we waited about 15 minutes but it was totally worth it.

I even managed to get some pictures of the bit of the queue area after you go down in the lift by being a bit stealthy. The CMs are hawk-eyed and will spot any camera or phone! Unfortunately, the pictures are terrible, and I still didn’t manage to get a good picture of the ride vehicles (which are basically works of art!), which is what I was after, but I guess they’re better than nothing.

The ride itself was, of course, amazing. It’s definitely better to sit on the right of the vehicle as you’re much closer to the animatronic set pieces, including the lava monster.

We wanted to ride again straight away, but the queue was already up to 50 minutes. We wanted to try and get as many rides in as possible in the early hours, so we headed instead to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which was a walk-on.

This ride hadn’t been open on our previous trip at the beginning of the holiday (it was being renovated) and, in fact, wanting to experience it had been part of our reasoning for coming back when we did. It did not disappoint! It’s very much a companion piece to Journey and shares the fabulous steampunk aesthetic and gorgeous ride vehicles. It’s also just a really great old-school dark ride, with practical water effects and a great story. We absolutely loved it - it probably moved into second place for both of us in terms of favourite rides at DisneySea.

We were put into a ride vehicle all to ourselves so I did try to get some pictures of the brilliant underwater creepiness of it all, but none of them came out because my camera is rubbish.

The basic story seemed to be that you go 20,000 leagues down in a submarine operated by Captain Nemo (they use bubbles in the window to make it seem like you are going down underwater), you see some cool underwater stuff like sea life and a sunken ship full of relics, get attacked by a kraken (natch ) and then end up in Atlantis where some alien-looking merpeople send you back up to the surface. It’s all absolutely beautiful and cool as heck. And it never had a queue! Every time we went on it that day it was a walk-on! All in all, it’s possibly only second to Pirates for greatest dark ride of all time. Or Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey obviously, if you count that as a dark ride.

Needless to say, we immediately went round and rode again.

After that we were still in the mood for some watery fun, so we headed down the steps to Aquatopia. We’d been looking forward to repeating the experience we’d had on Aquatopia before, as it’s a delightful little ride, but there was actually an added bonus this time: we were told that this time we’d get wet! Bex and I adore water rides so we were all for this. It must have just started up for the summer.

We put on our anoraks, as we didn’t want to be wearing completely wet clothes for the rest of the day (Ha! the irony) and joined the queue for the ride, which was about 10 minutes long. Wearing the anoraks was a good call as we got absolutely soaked! When we’d ridden before, every time the water looked like it was going to get you, the vehicle would twist away or something so it didn’t - this time, obviously, it did the opposite. We loved it though and immediately went round to ride again. Unfortunately, it wasn’t until after we’d gotten off the ride that I noticed all the water had dripped from my anorak onto my crotch. It looked like I’d wet myself for hours afterwards!

We walked up the steps again to get the railway to the New York area then we walked through that area to the Mediterranean harbour to find the Big Band Beat Biglietteria.

We popped in our tickets with baited breath and...we won again!

We were going to see Big Band Beat again that afternoon! We got tickets for 13:50, reasoning that we could pop back to the hotel for a bit afterwards if we felt tired and needed a break.

We then crossed the bridge and went to ride the gondolas again. It turned out to be quite a long wait (about 30 minutes) but, as you may recall, the gondolas has a seated queue for part of the line so this didn't matter so much.

The attraction is totally worth it anyway, especially when the sun was out and everything was looking so beautiful! It also maybe has the best CMs in the park, and that’s really saying something at DisneySea. Some of them are pretty easy on the eye too...

Gr8WideSomewher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

My favourite Disney park 🥳👍🇯🇵
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Gr8WideSomewher
Excited about Disney

Part 2

Afterwards, we wandered round and took a few quick pictures of the glorious little details in the Mediterranean Harbour, before heading to Mama Biscotti’s for some breakfast.

I’d been looking forward to an iced coffee and one of the pastries we’d had there on our previous visit, but this was not to be. In fact, Mama Biscotti’s turned out to be a bit of a disaster. DisneySea had brought out speciality Pirate snacks in celebration of the Pirate Summer event and it seemed that every Tom, Dick, Duffy and Skippylou had to try them!

We ended up queueing for 30 minutes just to get some snacks that we didn’t really want in the first place! Unfortunately, they weren’t selling food other than the Pirate snacks and there was nowhere else that did breakfast food. Most places were only selling cake, which we didn’t want for breakfast. Bex was all for just skipping breakfast as she thought queueing was a waste of precious time, but I was flagging and really needed some food.

It was 11:30 by the time we got our food and it was much needed. We got a Pirate breakfast focaccia and a brownie as there wasn't much else, plus two iced coffees.

The focaccia was pretty good; it had bacon, egg and cheese on it. The brownie was really nice, if not what I'd usually choose for breakfast. It was dense and chocolatey and the swirls on the top of it looked like waves on the sea.

As usual, our priority was rides so we hadn’t been planning to take in much of the special pirate stuff that was going on in the park. As we were finishing our breakfast, however, the Pirates Summer show was starting out on the lake, so we decided to join the back of the crowd and see what it was all about.

We chose a spot behind the reserved seating area. The leaflets we’d been given about the event told us that this was very much in the splash zone, but, as I say, we love a bit of water, so we stuck around.

The show was super fun! I’m so glad we saw it as it ended up being one of the highlights of the day. My pictures aren’t too good as we were very far back, but hopefully, you’ll get a sense of the brilliant mayhem.

Several pirate ships on the lake did a sort of mock battle, with lots of dancing and waving swords around, of course with the brilliant Pirates of the Caribbean music in the background. The boats also shot water out of cannons at each other and Captain Jack swung from one to the other.

This was accompanied by CMs dressed as pirates on dry land clapping and getting the crowd to join in with their dance routine. Then about halfway through the pirates started chucking water into the crowds using tankards, buckets, hoses and whatever else they could find.

These were true pirates in that they were absolutely merciless! Everybody (from babies in prams to grannies) got soaked! Even in the areas that were supposed to be safer people were screaming and running away as they were doused in water. Nobody was in the least bit annoyed at getting wet, people were either doubled over laughing or running back for more! It was epic!

I ended up looking like this and squelching my way round the park for several hours, but hey, nobody was going to notice my wet shorts now!

The show finished around 12:15 and by that time our fastpasses for Toy Story had opened so we headed on over to Toyville.

Toy Story was great of course and not only did I win, but I was also best in vehicle. I think I’ve won nearly every time I’ve been on Toy Story Mania, but I have no idea why because I have never won on Buzz.

My feet were dying by this point so I took a short break on a bench opposite Tower of Terror while Bex went to see if there were any more Journey to the Centre of the Earth fastpasses that we might be able to get for that evening. It was about 12:50 at that point and our Tower of Terror fastpasses (which we’d picked up earlier) opened at 13:05, so it was a good opportunity for a sit-down.

While I was waiting, I was approached by an Indonesian couple and we got talking about our holidays. Their English wasn't strong, but we managed to have a nice chat. Afterwards, they asked if we could take a picture together - they were really sweet! The weird thing about that is that the exact same thing happened to Bex with another couple while she was on her way back from Journey to the Centre of the Earth! Not sure why you’d want a picture with a damp British woman as a souvenir of your holiday to Japan but to each his own!

Bex came back with a Journey fastpass for 20:20 that evening. The queues for Journey were round about the 90-minute mark all day, so we were super excited to be getting to ride it one more time!

We just had enough time to fit in our Tower of Terror fastpasses now before Big Band Beat if we joined the fastpass queue right at the beginning of our slot. It was now 13:05 and, as you might remember from Day 3, the pre-show for Tower of Terror in DisneySea is quite long, and there’s still quite a bit of queuing to be done after it which you don’t skip with a fastpass. Big Band Beat started at 13:50 and we certainly didn’t want to be late!

Tower of Terror was of course amazing! The theming might be best of any Tower of Terror that I’ve been on though the drops aren't quite big enough for my taste. I’m not an adrenalin junkie or anything, I just really like that weightless feeling you get on a really big drop!

In the gift shop after the ride, we played this very ornate-looking gachapon machine. I can’t remember how much it cost, but I think it might have been 300 yen (£2.22).

I’m not sure what goodies we would have won on another day, but with the Pirate Summer event going on the prizes were little big five head baubles wearing pirate bandanas and eye patches which you could fill with water and squirt at people. They were cute!. Bex got Minnie and I, to my chagrin, got Donald. If you’ve read my animated movie marathon thread you will recall how much I hate Donald Duck! However, feeding my gachapon habit had become a problem by this point, so I wouldn’t have cared if I hadn’t won anything - I was in it for the thrill.

Bex also bought a pin - the first in her small but expanding collection. Her theme is classic Disney characters riding the rides, so she started with Donald, Mickey and Goofy on Tower of Terror. Very cute! It cost 1300 yen (£9.64). When you flick the little lever down, Mickey and co fall like the lifts and their faces change so they look scared.

After this, we went straight to the Broadway Music Theatre in the American Waterfront for Big Band Beat!

We arrived at about 13:30 and found seats quite far back in the auditorium but bang in the middle. The auditorium was already pretty full because, as you may remember, the Japanese are very good at queueing and are willing to wait for hours for a good spot at the shows and parades.

The show was excellent of course. I won’t bore you with another long review of it, but one song was different from the other time that we’d seen it, so it seems to change slightly from show to show. Some of the principal performers were different too, which gave a different flavour to some of the numbers. Again, it would have been incredible to be able to take pictures (there’s some moments in that show that y’all just need to see ) but it wasn’t possible.

After the show we decided to try our third shaved ice of the trip. This one was sort of peach flavour and, though of course it was lovely, was the least nice of the three we tried.

It cost 400 yen (£3.00). We found a spot by the lake where the second pirate show of the day was taking place. This time our proximity to the dancing pirates meant we got even more wet! It was fantastic.

Gr8WideSomewher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Gr8WideSomewher
Excited about Disney

Part 3

When the show ended we squelched over to the steamer boat, which takes people to the opposite side of the park by water. The queue ended up being quite long because they were moving the show paraphernalia from the lake - we should have just walked. Still, at least the half hour wait meant that we were a bit drier when we finally got onto the boat and the boat ride itself was really nice.

We fetched up in the Lost River Delta and walked across the bridge to the Arabian Coast. We wanted to try the Magic Lamp Theatre show which was one of the attractions we hadn’t tried yet. We also thought it might not be as busy as some of the other attractions (it was such a busy day) and it’s not a big-ticket attraction. The queues still looked pretty long though, so we decided to get a fastpass and then go and get some lunch and come back before the next show.

We had been keen to try the Chandu tail, which we’d heard was one of the must-eat snacks in Tokyo Disney, like the green alien mochi and the popcorn, both of which we had tried. The Chandu tail was supposed to be a curry bun which was really delicious and would have definitely hit the spot for both of us. We couldn’t find the thing for sale anywhere though, and when we asked a CM about it they didn't seem to have any idea what we were talking about! Maybe they have discontinued it now.

In the end we decided to go back to Casbah food court, the place we had gone to on the first day. We were both hot and fed up at this point and I was really hungry. I knew Bex wanted to skip lunch as it was so late in the day and she had a bad stomach, but I was far too hungry and tired for that. We’d left it too late to go back to the hotel at this point and we were beginning to feel worn out by the day, the heat, and the holiday in general.

Bex insisted we shared a curry (1610 yen-£1211) which I ate most of (somewhat moodily ), and we tried to relax a bit in the shade.

It didn’t really work, and anyway, we only had a short time before the next showing at the Magic Lamp Theatre. We joined the fastpass queue, but this didn’t really save us any time. Something must have gone tech with the fastpass system, as the fastpass queue was the same length as the normal queue and they were giving out fastpasses for 20 minutes later.

It was about a 10-minute wait outside and then another 10 minutes inside, where we watched the pre-show. This featured a talking animatronic snake (cool effect, nothing to do with Aladdin ) and some very ropey animation. It was all in Japanese so I’m afraid it wasn't very interesting to us.

We then moved into an auditorium for the rest of the show. We hadn’t really known what to expect and I must say we weren’t that impressed. I think we thought it was going to be something similar to Mickey’s Philharmagic as we were all given 3D glasses, but it was mostly just a lame magic show, with a foolish magician and his sidekick failing to do tricks. At some point, the sidekick got ahold of the magic lamp and then the genie appeared. This was the 3D bit. The genie himself was of course pretty cool, but the rest of it just wasn’t very good.

We then walked across the bridge to Atlantica and headed back down under the sea for yet another show.

The Mermaid Theatre was the one bit of the Mermaid Lagoon that we hadn’t seen yet and we queued up with everyone else for King Triton’s Concert.

The show was about to start so we didn’t have long to wait before we moved into the auditorium. It was theatre in the round, so you would have a decent view from wherever you ended up sitting, however, it looked like the people sitting right in the centre got the best view of everything.

As usual, no pictures were allowed, which is a shame because this show was really good. Not Big Band Beat good, but still super-fun. It is a concert with various musical numbers and mixing live-action, puppet and animatronic performers. The big Triton animatronic was very impressive! It’s not actually a big cast, but gives the impression of being one.

They sang Mysterious Fathoms Below. This was followed by Ariel (who was a real person) coming down on a wire and singing Part of Your World while swimming back and forth over the audience’s heads. They then sang another song which we recognised but couldn’t quite place, and finally, of course, Under The Sea. We loved it!

After the show we decided to do a bit of shopping. You may remember from earlier in the trippie that Bex had fallen in love with a cushion featuring rides from Tokyo Disneyland on one side and DisneySea on the other. We had seen it in the shop in the Mermaid Lagoon on our previous visit, but when we went back this time we couldn't find it! Disaster! Bex was very dejected, as she rarely finds things she likes so much, so I encouraged her to ask a CM about it. Success! The CM told us which shop to find it in, which was one in the Mediterranean Harbour, so we would pick that up later.

We also checked out the gachupon machines, but you could only win the same figures as in the other one we’d tried, and I wasn’t so keen to ditch Donald that I was willing to spend another 300 yen! In fact, there was nothing I really wanted to buy. Bex bought a jumping jellyfish (one of the rides) pin to continue her collection for 900 yen.

We then reasoned that we should really experience the ride if Bex was going to own a pin based on it, so we joined the 10-minute queue for it. It’s a basic up-and-down ride. Very much for children, but quite pretty, as everything is down in the Mermaid Lagoon. It certainly wasn't worth a 10-minute wait but we loved it anyway because we love everything to do with Ariel!

Finally, we reluctantly left my favourite area for the last time.

The Indiana Jones Ride was just a short walk away so we decided to have a last ride on that before heading back towards the front of the park.

We joined the single-rider queue and waited about 15 minutes. The single-rider queue for Indy is very underused and Bex and I ended up in the same car again. The only reason we queued for such a long time was that a large part of the queue is the same for single-riders as for the regular fastpass queue - it’s not a good system.

Anyway, the ride was fantastic fun and we said goodbye to it with much reluctance. We then began the (quite long) walk round to the American Waterfront. This involved passing Port Discovery and the Cape Cod area (where there was a massive queue to meet Duffy and co) before finally arriving at our destination: the SS Columbia.

Old 10 May 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Gr8WideSomewher
Excited about Disney

Part 4

The SS Columbia is the massive life-sized cruise ship that sits by the dock on the American Waterfront. It was getting dark as we went aboard and climbed the stairs to the Roosevelt Lounge. We felt a long rest was in order and where better to do it than in a swanky cruise ship cocktail lounge?

There was no wait to get in, but we did feel slightly under-dressed once we got inside and were shown to a table by a CM. We ordered a gin fizz for me and a pina colada for Bex and then sat back and relaxed in the atmosphere.

The cocktails were about 1000 yen each (£7.52), so really not bad. It was lovely and cool in the lounge and it was themed really nicely. There were lots of cool props and pictures to look at as we luxuriated.

We must have been in the lounge for a good hour all-told, including popping out onto the deck of the ship to take pictures of DisneySea at night.

When we were finished, we both felt a bit more human and ready to face the last bit of the evening.

We started in the Tower of Terror shop. I had seen a drinking bottle with pictures of the famous Tokyo Disney foods on it in there earlier that I had thought was cute and, having found nothing else I particularly wanted, I now went back to buy it.

It also has a little Mickey ears screw-top lid, but I think I may have left it at work, and who knows when I’ll get back there!

It cost 1800 yen (£13.54). Definitely Disney prices, but I have gotten a lot of use out of it. My one reservation with it is that for some reason the inside of it often smells a bit, even right after it’s been washed. I have no idea why.

Next it was time to get tea. We decided to just go with what was quickest as we were very much on our last legs (feet, in my case! ) and we definitely wanted to take a last look at the Mysterious Island before leaving. We therefore went into Dockside Diner, which I’m afraid I never got a picture of. It essentially looks like a big warehouse by the docks and I’m sure at any other time of day would have been teaming with people. However it was probably about 20:00 at this point and most normal people had eaten already, so it was practically empty.

Neither of us cared what we ate at that point - we just needed fuel - so Bex ordered the beef sandwich with fries and I ordered the fried chicken with waffle.

The portions were not very big and the food itself was only OK, but we didn’t really mind. Bex as usual wasn't very hungry, so ate her fries but not much of the sandwich. I ate my chicken (fried chicken in Japan can never go that wrong) but left most of the waffle, which was barely warm and a bit bland. I didn’t write down what it cost, I’m afraid.

Re-fueled and ready for the final push, we walked to the Mediterranean Harbour to find the shop where Bex could buy her cushion, which was called Donaldo.

We found the cushion without much difficulty and browsed for other things to buy, but didn’t find anything. Donaldo had mostly homeware, all of it nice, just not must-have nice. We still had about 2500 yen and wanted to spend it!

It was about 21:00 by this time and our fastpass for Journey to the Centre of the Earth had opened up, so we walked back to the Mysterious Island to use it. The regular queue for the ride was still really long - 50 minutes! We were on in about 10 minutes, however, and rode at the front of our vehicle. It was sooooooooo good and we waved goodbye to the lava monster as we passed.

Of course, it would have been rude not to follow our Journey to the Centre of the Earth with one 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, so we walked down the walkway to the ride, which as usual had no wait.

This was our last ride of the trip and I’m so glad! I absolutely LOVE this ride and it was such a great way to end our day in DisneySea.

After that it was time to head back towards the entrance. Even if the park hadn’t been closing shortly, I was completely done. I was limping really badly at this point (people were starting to stare because I was walking so slowly) but I was able to make it to Mediterranean Harbour where I found a place to sit while Bex went off and did some last-minute shopping.

She decided to go and pick up a water flask like mine from the Tower of Terror gift shop. She also picked up a fun Minnie hand rice scoop from Donaldo for 900 yen (£6.77).

Then it was finally time to leave the park. Bex was jazzed as anything and really sad to be leaving; I was just in pain. It didn’t take long to get the monorail however, and we were back in our hotel by 22:30.

I lay recovering for a short while before dragging myself up to finish my packing and take a shower. Bex set an alarm for 6:00 the next day and we were asleep by about midnight.

Even though I was so wiped out by the end of it, I couldn’t have imagined a better last day for the trip. So many amazing memories created in one day? What could be better than that?

This was the last full day of our trip so I am very close to the end of the trippie. I will post a final day (though it’s not going to have many photos) about our flights home very soon!

Lots of love,
Rosie
Old 11 May 20, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Loved this!
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 20, 03:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Epic day (it doesn’t look like a Disney park). I liked the Mediterranean area, the ship looks amazing. My nephew is going to Japan to teach for a year, no idea where. We may get to go here. Great trippie, I will miss it.
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List