Notices

Old 19 May 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Well as it turns out the cancellation post wasn't depressing at all I'm glad it was relatively easy to sort out and that you've had all your money back. I did chuckle that BA discovered they sent the original email notifying you of the cancelled flight in error. How awful that would have been if it had been a short lockdown, but as you say it's not important now.

I really do hope you get to go on your trip. As I was reading your plans it really made me think I'd love to try driving out in the states as the road trips that you Amanda and Alicia have taken do sound amazing to me. I'll just have to grow a pair and get over the idea of driving.

Tesco wasn't so bad in the end yesterday and I spent a good hour in the back garden with both mum and dad when I delivered their shopping, don't tell anyone so it wasn't all bad.
Haha, no as cancellation experiences go ours has been really positive. And we are determined to stay positive that we can start to re-book soon.

I think you would find that driving in the States isn't as difficult as you might think because the roads are wide and straight mainly. I'm very lucky that Neil LOVES driving out there, so I can pick and choose when I want to, rather than having to do it. I'm not sure that our particular road trip would be great with kids as there will be a lot of car time, but something where you can stay a few days in each place with lots to do could work really well for you as it does for Alicia.

I'm glad Tesco wasn't too bad an ordeal, and your secret's safe with me re mum and dad

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by keith1973 View Post
Wow what a trip that’s going to be although a lot of driving it’s my dream to do the same in a few years
It will be amazing, I'm sure! Yes, a lot of driving - we're packing a lot into each day. If you get to plan a similar trip, definitely think about taking a longer time as there is so much to see. I hope you get to fulfil your dream. Thank you for reading

Originally Posted by HeresYourEars View Post
What a fantastic post. I know your trip will become a reality one day. ❤️
Thank you so much. We are sure that it will become a reality - I didn't put all that effort into planning for it to go to waste!

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Wow that sounds to be such a fabulous trip! So sad you couldn't go.
You WILL get to go on it one day, hopefully sooner rather than later. I love a good road trip and can't wait to read all about it!

Still have our fingers crossed for our trip...
Don't be sad for us, we absolutely will be booking everything up again as soon as we can. I love reading road trip reports as well - there are so many places I want to visit and I think a road trip is a fantastic way to see a lot of places in one holiday.

I have my fingers crossed for your trip as well - Vancouver and Pacific Northwest sounds amazing. I really hope we have some normality by then and you get to go. Thank you for reading

Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Lynda, I am so so sorry I have only just seen this pre trip report! You must think I'm terrible as I was hounding you to write one, then I don't even read it straight away

Wow, what an amazing holiday you had planned. You just know I'll be pinching all your ideas when we do this trip one day
All the stops along the route are just so quirky, I love it! Also a great way to see so many different States in one holiday.

We can't wait to visit Monument Valley, doesn't it look amazing? We had planned to add it into a trip taking in the Mighty 5 National Parks in Utah but it's good to know it's easily incorporated into a Route 66 holiday too should we do that one first.

We really want to revisit the Grand Canyon after our last visit was hampered by the Snow Storm. I've just checked out Williams, it looks a great place to stay!

An amazing bargain for the Palazzo at the Venetian. If you book that same hotel next time you must eat at the Grand Lux Cafe in the hotel, it's so good! The same chain as The Cheesecake Factory so the portions are huge!

The WigWam hotel looks so much fun, I have to stay there one day!

I remember your worries over what to do whilst in LA. I definitely think staying in Burbank will be your best bet. I will always recommend the Warner Bros tour which is right there too.
If you do manage to add on an extra night to the next holiday, it may be worth thinking of putting it on to the end of the holiday so you have a bit more time there and have a bit more of a chilled last few nights?

I'm gutted for you that this holiday was cancelled but pleased it seemed relatively easy to get all of your money back. That's one stress you don't need on top of not getting to go away!

I can't wait to see this report updated with a new date that you have booked it for

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Well as it turns out the cancellation post wasn't depressing at all I'm glad it was relatively easy to sort out and that you've had all your money back. I did chuckle that BA discovered they sent the original email notifying you of the cancelled flight in error. How awful that would have been if it had been a short lockdown, but as you say it's not important now.

I really do hope you get to go on your trip. As I was reading your plans it really made me think I'd love to try driving out in the states as the road trips that you Amanda and Alicia have taken do sound amazing to me. I'll just have to grow a pair and get over the idea of driving.

Tesco wasn't so bad in the end yesterday and I spent a good hour in the back garden with both mum and dad when I delivered their shopping, don't tell anyone so it wasn't all bad.
Abby yes you simply must do a road trip one day, they're so much fun! Just get yourself the biggest SUV you can (like my fave Suburban) and you'll feel as safe as anything driving around. There's so much more to see and do when you have a set of wheels, although one downside is less chance of having a cocktail if you're designated driver for the evening

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Lynda, I am so so sorry I have only just seen this pre trip report! You must think I'm terrible as I was hounding you to write one, then I don't even read it straight away

Wow, what an amazing holiday you had planned. You just know I'll be pinching all your ideas when we do this trip one day
All the stops along the route are just so quirky, I love it! Also a great way to see so many different States in one holiday.

We can't wait to visit Monument Valley, doesn't it look amazing? We had planned to add it into a trip taking in the Mighty 5 National Parks in Utah but it's good to know it's easily incorporated into a Route 66 holiday too should we do that one first.

We really want to revisit the Grand Canyon after our last visit was hampered by the Snow Storm. I've just checked out Williams, it looks a great place to stay!

An amazing bargain for the Palazzo at the Venetian. If you book that same hotel next time you must eat at the Grand Lux Cafe in the hotel, it's so good! The same chain as The Cheesecake Factory so the portions are huge!

The WigWam hotel looks so much fun, I have to stay there one day!

I remember your worries over what to do whilst in LA. I definitely think staying in Burbank will be your best bet. I will always recommend the Warner Bros tour which is right there too.
If you do manage to add on an extra night to the next holiday, it may be worth thinking of putting it on to the end of the holiday so you have a bit more time there and have a bit more of a chilled last few nights?

I'm gutted for you that this holiday was cancelled but pleased it seemed relatively easy to get all of your money back. That's one stress you don't need on top of not getting to go away!

I can't wait to see this report updated with a new date that you have booked it for
Aw, it's no problem Alicia... you've been busy planning your Texas roadtrip! I had a read of the thread and you've had some great advice on there - another very exciting holiday to plan.

I love that the whole trip is a bit quirky, I think it will be like going back in time on some of the stops at old motels and shops.

Ah yes, Monument Valley looks totally amazing. It has my heart already, even though we haven't visited yet. It's the part we're both most excited for. A Mighty 5 trip sounds incredible as well... I feel like all I'll do over the next few years is steal your holiday itineraries I really think that after this trip takes place, we'll want to see more and more of America and road trips are such a fab way to do that.

Thanks for the tip re the Grand Luxe Cafe... I definitely hope we can book up the Venetian again, I'm determined to stay there! We just got a new batch of Clubcard points in so we'll probably book even more hotels using them through hotels.com. Such a great way to get a luxury stay for much cheapness .

The WigWam motel will have to be done I think - who would pass up the chance to sleep in a WiigWam?

I think you're right that Burbank would be a good place for us to stay - I'm pretty well set on that now. Having an extra day or two would be great.. I definitely need one more day to split up Day 7, but an other one at the end would be great and mean that we wouldn't have to rush into LA because we could have the whole of the next day there. Before we book again, we need to speak to our boss to see if we can take extended leave which would be fab and make such a difference to this trip.

Thank you so much for reading and commenting Alicia - hopefully I'll be back soon with an update. Also still hoping that your Southern States trip goes ahead because I can't wait to read about it

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Abby yes you simply must do a road trip one day, they're so much fun! Just get yourself the biggest SUV you can (like my fave Suburban) and you'll feel as safe as anything driving around. There's so much more to see and do when you have a set of wheels, although one downside is less chance of having a cocktail if you're designated driver for the evening
I totally agree (even though I haven't done a road trip yet ). Such a great way to see loads of places.

Old 13 Jul 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Fantastic 'trip' report. Given us loads of ideas.

Hope you get the chance to do it for real.

Really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Fantastic 'trip' report. Given us loads of ideas.

Hope you get the chance to do it for real.

Really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this.
Thank you, I’m sure we will do the trip for real. At least the plan is done now, so we’re ready!

Old 30 Jul 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Mobile

Finally got around to reading this and making lots of notes from it! What an amazing trip you had planned, I hope you are able to rebook soon. I cannot wait to read the full trip report when you do go.

My planning is in full swing, even though I have no idea when we can go and these even arrived yesterday:

The main book is a lot more confusing to read than I expected but I cannot wait to get stuck in!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Finally got around to reading this and making lots of notes from it! What an amazing trip you had planned, I hope you are able to rebook soon. I cannot wait to read the full trip report when you do go.

My planning is in full swing, even though I have no idea when we can go and these even arrived yesterday:

The main book is a lot more confusing to read than I expected but I cannot wait to get stuck in!
I am so excited that someone else on here is planning a similar trip. I would love to hear all about your plans and maybe pick up some more ideas.

Unfortunately, as far as re-booking is concerned, we're just not feeling confident enough to do that at the moment. America is such a mess just now that we can't imagine that we would feel good about travelling around there by April/May next year. I'm holding out hope for later next year though, and this is a trip that will definitely get done... we still talk about it all the time.

The EZ66 is fab once you get to grips with it. I'm excited that you got the individual maps too - we decided not to invest in those but maybe we should have. I've heard so many good things about them.

I don't now how far along you are with your planning, but when using the EZ66, I worked out how many "road" days we would have (I completely discounted side trips), then divided the total miles on the route by the amount of days to see roughly how many miles we could do each day. I then went to the map pages with the mileage bars along the bottom (or top sometimes) of the page and added miles until I got to approximately my daily limit. I would adjust this according to how many stops we planned throughout the day, and if they were long or short stops. This involves quite a lot of juggling of the plan to get it all to fit in. You'll find that some days you can travel further because there's less to see. Read the banner at the top of each page for the actual driving instructions - the main part of the page helps to work out places you may want to visit on the route.

I hope this helps - or you might have a better method of planning which I'd be really interested to hear about. Our plan is still fluid as we'd like to add a couple more days when we re-book so all tips are very welcome. It took me a while to work out how to use the book in the best way that worked for me - I'm sure you'll love it once you figure it all out.

Happy planning!

Old 31 Jul 20, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
I am so excited that someone else on here is planning a similar trip. I would love to hear all about your plans and maybe pick up some more ideas.

Unfortunately, as far as re-booking is concerned, we're just not feeling confident enough to do that at the moment. America is such a mess just now that we can't imagine that we would feel good about travelling around there by April/May next year. I'm holding out hope for later next year though, and this is a trip that will definitely get done... we still talk about it all the time.

The EZ66 is fab once you get to grips with it. I'm excited that you got the individual maps too - we decided not to invest in those but maybe we should have. I've heard so many good things about them.

I don't now how far along you are with your planning, but when using the EZ66, I worked out how many "road" days we would have (I completely discounted side trips), then divided the total miles on the route by the amount of days to see roughly how many miles we could do each day. I then went to the map pages with the mileage bars along the bottom (or top sometimes) of the page and added miles until I got to approximately my daily limit. I would adjust this according to how many stops we planned throughout the day, and if they were long or short stops. This involves quite a lot of juggling of the plan to get it all to fit in. You'll find that some days you can travel further because there's less to see. Read the banner at the top of each page for the actual driving instructions - the main part of the page helps to work out places you may want to visit on the route.

I hope this helps - or you might have a better method of planning which I'd be really interested to hear about. Our plan is still fluid as we'd like to add a couple more days when we re-book so all tips are very welcome. It took me a while to work out how to use the book in the best way that worked for me - I'm sure you'll love it once you figure it all out.

Happy planning!
Thanks for this - great tips! Before even getting my guide I had made myself a spreadsheet with how I could divide up the route and key things I wanted to see (and it is colour coded lol). I did this trying to keep under 200 miles a night where possible, but longer when there was less to see. This may now all change now that I have the guide and maps for advise too! I will share my first draft below for you though (sorry if this is hijacking your thread!). This is assuming we fly to Chicago on a Sat and leave LA 3 weeks later on the sat as well (now hoping this may be Sept 2021, as like you I am not optimistic of going on April/ May).

Sat: Fly into Chicago, spend afternoon with friends we have North of Chicago
Sun: Day with friends, night in Chicago
Mon: Pick up car in the morning, overnight in Springfield IL
Tue: Sidetrip to Marceline, MO (about 2.5/3hrs each way) to see where Walt Disney lived as a child and visit the museum (I have always wanted to go here and it may be my only chance!). Second night in Springfield, IL
Wed: Overnight in Cuba, MO
Thurs: Overnight in Joplin
Fri: Overnight in Tulsa
Sat(wk2): Overnight in El Reno (or maybe further down the route to Clinton)
Sun: Overnight in Amarillo
Mon:Overnight in Santa Rosa
Tues: Small side trips to Pecos national historical park and Bandeller National monument and then to Santa Fe
Weds: Small side trip to Tent Rocks national monument and Petroglyph national monument before heading back to Route 66 through Albuquerque and onto Gallup for the night (to stay in El Rancho!)
Thurs: Overnight in Flagstaff
Fri: Side trip to do some hikes in the red rocks of Sedona and then onto Williams
Sat(wk3): Grand canyon for most the day and then back to the route to overnight in Seligman (although may change this to another night in Williams... not quite sure!)
Sun: Overnight in Needles
Mon: Overnight in the wigwam motel in San Bernadino
Tues: Finish the route and then drive to Anaheim
Weds: Disneyland!
Thurs: Disneyland!
Fri: Maybe a trip to San Diego
Sat: Finish up in San Diego (maybe the outlets near the Mexican boarder for a Disney outlet...) and fly home from LAX that evening

It is probably too much to fit into 3 weeks, but we have done road trips before and are used to early starts to get lots done! We also really like scenery and some hiking which explains our choice of side trips. I really want to do Monument Valley but I think I want to do another 3 weeks in future doing the national parks in Utah etc. so it fits better in that trip.
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List