Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 21 Jul 17, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Wow, it's Friday! This week has been a week and a half, not least because I've barely slept beyond 4am. Today has been the longest day of all, but here is collybird and here I am with a manhattan cocktail to hand.

Your have arrived in DC, with the help of Denzel! Now I have to add DC to my list of must go places. I'm loving the April Maths, anywhere that is more expensive than London is blinking pricey. As far as free museums go I could argue both ways. I don't like the idea that they are saved for those that can afford them, but I do agree that you appreciate more what you have paid good money to see!

Thanks for another fab instalment
Happy Friday Abby! I actually hate Fridays () as my working week starts on a Saturday, so although it's one of my days off I spend the day with an impending sense of doom Having my April and Poot fix to look forward to brightens my day, which is why a cruise report must be forthcoming, it has become a public service.

I really like the policy some museums have where there is only a 'suggested' admission price, so you can pay a penny or anything up to whatever they have set.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 17, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I like that early morning flights seem so sensible at the time of booking 'it's half the price'/'we'll get the whole day there when we arrive', but then it's time to get up...

Your room being ready prior to check in is the best feeling! Another downfall of the early flight trap, napping whilst you're supposed to be enjoying the benefit of having 'THE WHOLE DAY'.

I would have been SO disappointed at the sight of the McDonalds! We love the food court at the Natural History Museum in NYC, not for it's quality, but because it reminds me of a U.S. high school cafeteria. If you're planning a trip (to the museum, not the food court, although they have dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets!) when you are in NYC budget an entire day, not kidding! Such a shame you don't have a few more days there.
Yeah...R.C. was pretty clear about his feelings re: the 5:30 AM flight...("NEVER AGAIN, APRIL"). Not my best decision ever.

I probably should have found a twenty dollar bill for Magical Nick - but I was such a zombie that day I didn't even think about it. Only a few times in my life have I been happier to see my bed.

And YES. Having a McDonald's at the Smithsonian is like a CARICATURE of America. It felt a little bit like the adverts when McDonald's is sponsoring the Olympics - and you see all the athletes and think - "INCONGRUOUS".

Thanks for your advice about the Natural History Museum. R.C. and I went to a jazz concert there back in 2002 - and we had a little wander around afterwards. I suppose Poot and I should watch the Ben Stiller movie and he can decide if he wants to go. Right now he wants to climb the Statue of Liberty, go to bookstores, visit the Mother Seton house and...

...have you read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler ? It won the Newbery yonks ago - and it's about two kids who run away from home and live at the Metropolitan Museum. Poot wants to visit there and see all the things the kids in the book saw. I think that will be fun - even though it will near kill me to pay $25 for my ticket. I know you understand.

Wow, it's Friday! This week has been a week and a half, not least because I've barely slept beyond 4am. Today has been the longest day of all, but here is collybird and here I am with a manhattan cocktail to hand.

Your have arrived in DC, with the help of Denzel! Now I have to add DC to my list of must go places. I'm loving the April Maths, anywhere that is more expensive than London is blinking pricey. As far as free museums go I could argue both ways. I don't like the idea that they are saved for those that can afford them, but I do agree that you appreciate more what you have paid good money to see!

Thanks for another fab instalment
Mmm...Denzel...

Sorry, Abby - what were you saying?

I do think there needs to be a happy medium with museum fees. If you go to the Science Museum, the RAF museum - all the kids' stuff is broken - because there's no money to fix it. I propose free for kids and a flat £1 charge for adults. Just SOMETHING. £1 per person at the British Museum (as an example) would go a LONG WAY!

And I was properly horrified at the cost of train tickets in DC. Kids over FIVE pay FULL FARE?! So the museums are free - but you can't afford to GET THERE.

I hear you on the no-sleep front. TF is here and I swear it's like the Tasmanian Devil has taken up residence in my guest room. I don't think I've been so tired since Poot was a newborn. But your reward is nearly upon you - you go tomorrow! Have a FABULOUS time -

Happy Friday Abby! I actually hate Fridays () as my working week starts on a Saturday, so although it's one of my days off I spend the day with an impending sense of doom Having my April and Poot fix to look forward to brightens my day, which is why a cruise report must be forthcoming, it has become a public service.

I really like the policy some museums have where there is only a 'suggested' admission price, so you can pay a penny or anything up to whatever they have set.
That's such a lovely (and yet pressurising ) thing to say, Colette.

I always had that impending sense of doom on the night before work started up again, too. Even when I enjoyed the work. Ah, to have been born independently wealthy...

I think when you have a "suggested admission" price, ethical people feel obliged to pay it (I know I do) - even when it's a hardship - but the b*ggers out there just drop some foreign currency into the slot and swan on in. A friend of mine volunteers in a local charity shop - and they have a "suggested donation box" for things they can't sell for much money. And every month she empties that box and finds buttons, car park tokens - and handfuls of pennies.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 17, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

FP+ day for me today, so no work!

I haven't read the 'Mixed Up Files' but I have heard of it, I was excited to hear you mention it. Growing up my one true love was Scholastic's 'The Baby-Sitters' Club', the characters (a group of middle school girls) often studied Newbury winners in their English class.

They stopped publishing the BSC in the U.K when I was 16, but I was still buying and reading then . The author released a prequel a few years ago, it was published when we were in the US, you can imagine what a buzz it was for me to go into Barnes & Noble, buy it, then devour it in one sitting. In adulthood I've collected the whole series, there's more than 200! It's the first thing I'd save in a fire

I'm going to make a point of tracking 'Mixed Up Files' down now, I always wanted to read it but could never find it growing up. 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' is another.

Abby - I didn't even notice your countdown! Have a wonderful time, I am excited to hear all about it! Hope you've got a yourself a lovely notebook for all those trippie notes you'll be making
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 17, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

We are at the airport hotel. Phew. Lots of rain on m25. Thank you for the well wishes.
Xxx

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post

FP+ day for me today, so no work!

I haven't read the 'Mixed Up Files' but I have heard of it, I was excited to hear you mention it. Growing up my one true love was Scholastic's 'The Baby-Sitters' Club', the characters (a group of middle school girls) often studied Newbury winners in their English class.

They stopped publishing the BSC in the U.K when I was 16, but I was still buying and reading then . The author released a prequel a few years ago, it was published when we were in the US, you can imagine what a buzz it was for me to go into Barnes & Noble, buy it, then devour it in one sitting. In adulthood I've collected the whole series, there's more than 200! It's the first thing I'd save in a fire

I'm going to make a point of tracking 'Mixed Up Files' down now, I always wanted to read it but could never find it growing up. 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' is another.

Abby - I didn't even notice your countdown! Have a wonderful time, I am excited to hear all about it! Hope you've got a yourself a lovely notebook for all those trippie notes you'll be making
Ooh - exciting! Did you get the Avatarland FPs you wanted?

I found Avatar itself a bit of a snore - but I can't wait to see what they've done with the land. I have managed to track down a special edition of the film - with all the sweary bits edited out - so Poot and I can watch it together before we (eventually) go back to AK.

I didn't read Mixed-up Files as a girl either (or A Tree Grows in Brooklyn ). I was always in such a hurry to "move on" to more grown-up books that I missed so many classics I know I would have enjoyed. But reading all the Newberys appeals enormously to Poot, as he - like his mother - loves crossing things off a list.

I did finally read Mixed-up Files after Poot read it - and it is properly charming. I thought it very much in the vein of (the geniuses) Dodie Smith and/or Noel Streatfield.

The Babysitters' Club was after my time - but I can understand completely your desire to complete the series. So no blushes needed with me! But now you know why I should have never let myself get started with pins - I struggle with incompleteness. Sigh. And I don't like to start a series of books until it's finished...because until I know it's finished - how can I know the author WILL finish it? Sorry, that probably only makes sense to me...

We are at the airport hotel. Phew. Lots of rain on m25. Thank you for the well wishes.
Xxx

But smart girl to get the M25 over with the day before you fly - imagine that stress TOMORROW...

Here's hoping your flight lands early - and that your immigration officer isn't a miserable you-know-what!
Old 22 Jul 17, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

The Avatar Fast Passes were actually very easy to get, I was very surprised. We weren't big fans of the film either, in fact I can barely recall it, but I am looking forward to seeing Pandora. Ideally, I wanted to have a AK day without Pandora, then schedule a Pandora rope drop day, do Na'vi River Journey standby and Flight of Passage with FP+ later. But my nerves got the better of me, I knew I would spend the next few weeks worrying about losing 90 minutes to a standby queue so I've booked a FP+ for the boat ride on our first AK day.

I struggle hugely with incompleteness, I can definitely see the benefits of waiting until a series is 'done', but impatience is another of my 'quirks'. It really bothers me when books are released with matching covers, the series looks pretty on the shelf, then they change the jacket design for a new release and things don't match!

Nik and I were talking about pins last night actually, we are going to dinner at Disney Springs on our first night and we're going to go to Pin Traders and pick which mystery sets will be our poison. It's going to be pricey!

Safe travels Abby! I feel all giddy knowing you'll be there tomorrow.
Old 22 Jul 17, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post

The Avatar Fast Passes were actually very easy to get, I was very surprised. We weren't big fans of the film either, in fact I can barely recall it, but I am looking forward to seeing Pandora. Ideally, I wanted to have a AK day without Pandora, then schedule a Pandora rope drop day, do Na'vi River Journey standby and Flight of Passage with FP+ later. But my nerves got the better of me, I knew I would spend the next few weeks worrying about losing 90 minutes to a standby queue so I've booked a FP+ for the boat ride on our first AK day.

I struggle hugely with incompleteness, I can definitely see the benefits of waiting until a series is 'done', but impatience is another of my 'quirks'. It really bothers me when books are released with matching covers, the series looks pretty on the shelf, then they change the jacket design for a new release and things don't match!

Nik and I were talking about pins last night actually, we are going to dinner at Disney Springs on our first night and we're going to go to Pin Traders and pick which mystery sets will be our poison. It's going to be pricey!

Safe travels Abby! I feel all giddy knowing you'll be there tomorrow.
I read somewhere that the WDW hotels are showing Avatar 24 hours a day on one of the dedicated resort channels. So you can refresh your memory if you're up at stupid o'clock.

All I can call to mind from the film is BLUE - and "unobtanium". And I remember thinking...it just doesn't get any lamer and more expositional than that. Mr. Cameron must think his fans are pret-ty dim...

Hmm...I think I would have done just as you did and booked the FPs for both rides. It's never a hardship to make another visit to AK - such a gorgeous park. Do you get the emails from Touring Plans? Tonight's included a blog post about some of the details in Avatarland...

blog.touringplans/2017/07...andoradetails/

I do feel your pain waiting for new releases in a series - but when I read a series before it's finished, I obsess about forgetting what happened in previous books! So then I feel like I should read (at least) the previous book again - to refresh my memory and make sure that I get the most out of the current release. But I try not to keep novels once I finish them - because our house already looks like a lending library. It's a vicious circle. Strange place, my brain!

I am TRYING to make more of my NEW book purchases for Kindle, where I don't have to think about some of the above - or about matching covers. I totally get that, too.

Ooh, which mystery set to choose! Some good ones out right now...I am eager to hear what you decide to go for. We were lucky last time and got some coupons with our QS meals that were worth 10 or 15 percent off at Pin Traders. Hopefully they'll still be doing those when you go!
Old 23 Jul 17, 05:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

I'm with you all the way on feeling let down by publishers when they change the look of a series of books.

Personally I don't like reading hardback books. Is this a marmite thing as some people love them? Well I came a little late to Harry Potter and was able to read the first 4 books in a row. However, when book 5 was released I broke all my own rules and had to get the hardback as I was desperate to read it. Now we have a shelf which looks wrong with some paperback and some hardback!

Collette I'm glad we are on first name terms! It sounds like you had a successful day wit your FP. Well done.

I think I must have had at least 3 hours sleep last night. Typical. Like many dibbers I struggle the night before but I don't think it was helped by receiving an email entitled ALERT from AA. It said our flight my be delayed due to inclement weather. I think they meant the plane we are getting on is coming from somewhere in the USA which is stormy...don't think that helped with the sleeping. DH said not to worry there's storms every afternoon in Orlando and planes make it in and out still.

Oh well I'll sleep on the plane. I can wake everyone up in 5 minutes! Yes I am very excited.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm with you all the way on feeling let down by publishers when they change the look of a series of books.

Personally I don't like reading hardback books. Is this a marmite thing as some people love them? Well I came a little late to Harry Potter and was able to read the first 4 books in a row. However, when book 5 was released I broke all my own rules and had to get the hardback as I was desperate to read it. Now we have a shelf which looks wrong with some paperback and some hardback!

Collette I'm glad we are on first name terms! It sounds like you had a successful day wit your FP. Well done.

I think I must have had at least 3 hours sleep last night. Typical. Like many dibbers I struggle the night before but I don't think it was helped by receiving an email entitled ALERT from AA. It said our flight my be delayed due to inclement weather. I think they meant the plane we are getting on is coming from somewhere in the USA which is stormy...don't think that helped with the sleeping. DH said not to worry there's storms every afternoon in Orlando and planes make it in and out still.

Oh well I'll sleep on the plane. I can wake everyone up in 5 minutes! Yes I am very excited.

Despite the ALERT, I'm going to keep sending positive thoughts for an early landing and an immigration agent who isn't COMPLETELY humourless.

And I think you're right about the Marmite thing...I loathe paperbacks; it makes me very cross when there's a book I want to buy "for keeps" and it's only available in paperback. We are fortunate to live near a free bookstore - and I have been able to replace some of my paperback classics with lovely old hardbacks. They look so classy on my shelves.

Have a bagel for us -

EDIT: Abby, I've been reading Anji's (really) interesting Florida trippie. Did you know there is a bar in St. Augustine called Scarlett O'Hara's?

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1036123

scarlettoharas/about

Edited at 04:21 PM.
Old 23 Jul 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That was a very early morning 😬 It's lovely that you were able to check in early! What a win! I do love a nap during the day 😊

For us, McDonald's is desperation food, literally our last choice, not because of anything other than we like to try different things when we are in other countries! This is one of our favourite parts of travelling... new food!

The Museum looked fab, Cooper loved the USS Intrepid Museum in New York, again, it's so cool having a kid, you get to visit some really cool attractions/museums 😊 Poot looked just so happy 😁

Another great day! Michelle xx
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List