Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jun 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

Thomas Cook Premium Economy

What is it? How much more does it cost? And is it worth it?

This is for August 2020.
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Bigger seats, free drinks, better seatback entertainment.

You get an increased luggage allowance which is already included and not an add on cost. You get to choose your seats free of charge.

There’s a huge variety in how much it costs. It was actually cheaper for me book premium economy for this September than book a standard flights, luggage and paying to choose seats in standard so was a no brainer.

I think for me I’d pay up to £100 extra for it but no more - but I’m pretty tight when it comes to travel 😂
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

It is comparable to VA premium in pretty much every way apart from price, it is usually quite a bit cheaper. We have dates in late august from Manchester for £650 return, VA wanted 960 at the time and it is now closer to 1200. The free drinks are lovely as they do some nice cocktails and mini-bottles of prosecco and the food was really nice going out, on the way back it is usually horrible US gloop regardless of airline or class. One other advantage is the smaller cabin, it is quieter and feels calmer which is always nice when you are in the air for 9hrs!
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We flew PE with Thomas Cook and it was great. IMO not on a par with Virgin PE but that might just be me. The cabin was lovely and quiet and seats were larger and more comfortable with good leg room but to be honest we flew economy on the way out with bulkhead seats and we had more leg room.
As to how much is it worth, that’s down to each individual and their own budget. We found that by the time we had paid for extra leg room seats and all the other bits & bobs it only worked out about £60 per person more which it was well worth to us but everyone is different. Personally as long as the plane gets us safely from A to B I am happy so the most cost effective flight is always going to be the best for me!
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Worgie View Post
We flew PE with Thomas Cook and it was great. IMO not on a par with Virgin PE but that might just be me. The cabin was lovely and quiet and seats were larger and more comfortable with good leg room but to be honest we flew economy on the way out with bulkhead seats and we had more leg room.
As to how much is it worth, that’s down to each individual and their own budget. We found that by the time we had paid for extra leg room seats and all the other bits & bobs it only worked out about £60 per person more which it was well worth to us but everyone is different. Personally as long as the plane gets us safely from A to B I am happy so the most cost effective flight is always going to be the best for me!
No, I'd imagine Virgin PE is slightly better than TC depending on what you value, but frankly I'd expect that to be the case given how much more Virgins upgrades are compared to TC.

I got spoiled by premium and after last year going back to economy I am reluctant to fly economy again if I can avoid it. Given TC premium was the same price as Virgin Economy this time, easy decision to go with them. I'd pay up to £150-200 each but YMMV. Everyone has a cutoff point.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

You also get priority check-in outbound and inbound, well worth it. We fly premium and find it well worth the cost, we found that by the time we’d added booking extra leg-room seats, ife upgrade, more baggage, it wasn’t much dearer to do premium. As to the price, it’s entirely what you’re happy with.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
I got spoiled by premium and after last year going back to economy I am reluctant to fly economy again if I can avoid it. Given TC premium was the same price as Virgin Economy this time, easy decision to go with them. I'd pay up to £150-200 each but YMMV. Everyone has a cutoff point.
It's true that once you upgrade going back can be hard! On our way back from orlando in April the queue for economy was easily 45min-an hour, for premium 10 minutes! now this is not a big thing but it does avoid stress at the airport. There were some very frazzled looking parents trying to keep their little ones calm and entertained.

Edited at 12:01 PM.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Blueste
Very Serious Dibber

We generally pay £300 extra per person (both ways) for PE. prices can differ greatly, ideally have a range of dates you can travel and pick the cheapest. As for is it worth it, that depends on your perception of value.
Blueste is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

I've posted on another thread... the outbound Premium is already book up for our flight next August 2020! I can't believe it and am considering changing flights!
Does anyone know how much this would cost me?
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

You could phone Thomas Cook up and explain that you were hoping to upgrade to premium, but unable to. Are you sure that they're already booked up, one plane is normally economy only, if you've booked this one then there may be more chance of Thomas Cook switching you to the other one.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List