Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jun 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Its all good and well people saying get a rescue dog, though its near impossible to get one if you have children, majority say no young children or children at least 12 years old or above.

Or if you find one which can be placed in a household with children, next limitation is has to be housed with another dog, then another restriction from some rescue centres they say you have to live within 30/40 miles max or 45 mins travel time so they can come visit you.

Its really difficult, though you cant trust any dog around children more so when you dont know the history of it or its grown up around them
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02

Edited at 07:30 PM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mushumadness View Post
My friend breeds cavapoos
Two litters a year as a maximum
The next litter being ready to leave in October microchipped first hand complete partially house trained etc
£1500
Is that about right
that is too much as others have said, it seems that a reasonable rate is around £900 however it feels like all the breeders are increasing their rates while advising everyone away from puppy farms (which is right don't get me wrong)
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Many good rescues won’t place dogs where there are kids in the house ..

And personally with children I would always want a puppy so you know it’s history and it can grow up and and slot in with your lifestyle

I wouldn’t pay £1500 for what is a cross breed, for their kind of money you could get a french bulldog
This is why I’m thinking puppy I’d love a rescue but with four kids I’d be worried that the dog had a traumatic background it wouldn’t settle at all
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
shoei
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I think OP if your looking for breed recomendations it may be helpful to give us a little more info about what you are looking for in a dog eg. Are you particularly active family who walk alot or want a more laid back dog? What type of dogs do you like the look of?

Everyone will have their own opinion on what breed they like/ don't like so it's probably best to take opinions with a pinch of salt but people's experience of breeds will be invaluable at building your knowledge and helping you pick.

The mixed breed/mongeral/pedigree argument is also a hard one. Dogs are expensive and often for a reason. To put people off buying them without considering the investment. Of course there are unscrupulous breeders wishing to make money but there are also people who don't want the pups they have loved and cared for fall into the wrong hands. My dog is a pedigree but a pedigree dog doesn't mean they are free from health complications. Often the oposite is true. I don't believe a x breed has any less value the a pedigree. I believe all breeders now have to be registered with the Council now anyway.
shoei is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Rescue centres round here get puppies in but there is normally a wait list as everyone wants the puppies so they vet you . THe rescue centre will always try to match you as they really don’t want the dog back in the kennels. The also do a home check round here.
We often think about getting a dog especially as the kids are older but no way will we pay over £1000 for a dog that’s a mongrel .

Personally for me it saddens me because I really think the mongrels are promoting cross breeding for the wrong reasons . It’s easy money for some people I know of people who have bought a bitch just for breeding purposes ☹️
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ

Edited at 07:47 PM.
Mexy02 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Mobile

Hi sorry
Small to mid size breed
Friendly
With children
Will be waking for at least an hour daily which fits with my excercise plan
I have four kids 10/9/8/8
Not too high shedding
And not to be needing clipping every week
Not too springy my brother has a border terrier and she’s insane crazy
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

We have two dogs, both rescues one at 8 weeks one at 4 months, both great with my girls, my youngest has autism and can be noisy and get distressed they are both brilliant at calming her down its quite amazing to watch, a real love affair, we paid £125 for our birder terruer cross but that was 13 years ago, we got our lurcher last year and paid £175, rescue centres often have microchipped, vaccinated, and neutered the dog in their adoption fee or if young will cover the cost later, also usually a month's free insurance.
An idea with rescue would be maybe fostering the dog first, see how it interacts with you and your family, a good rescue centre will do a home visit, they want the dogs to go to a happy forever home.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Mobile

I ve seen some lovely border collie pups
Both parents present to view
Up to date vaccinated microchipped and weaned
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mushumadness View Post
I ve seen some lovely border collie pups
Both parents present to view
Up to date vaccinated microchipped and weaned
Borders are gorgeous, my girl is a small border (small end of there normal size) and not too bouncy, but they need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation, and hours walk is fine if the children will pitch in and play ball, teach tricks ect. They are amazing dogs, almost too clever for their own good though! She does shed like crazy in the summer and needs her fuzzy trousers brushing every couple days!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
That’s ridiculous for what is essentially a mongrel tbh.
We have a Cavalier and paid £650 for him 4 years ago. I don’t get these high prices for non pedigree breeds.
I agree. £1500 for what is essentially a mongrel dog! These 'breeders' spin the line that they are hypoallergenic, don't have the same potential heath traits that some pedigrees can have but its not true. If the dog is more cocker than poodle then they will still shed and there is still the potential that they will have health issues that are common with that breed.
I have two cockers. I paid £650 each for them. They are from a fantastic breeder that was incredibly fussy who her pups went to. We saw both parents several times, both were fully health tested and were lovely friendly dogs. Please OP have a look at Kennel Club Assured Breeders and go from there. Find out as much information as you can about the breeder and visit them at home. Ensure you see mum and any other dogs and see what kind of home they come from. Reputable breeders will be more than happy for you to do this and will want to talk to you at length about your home circumstances and family before they allow you to have one of their puppies.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List