Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 20 Feb 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

GoPro on rides

So last trip we took our Apeman action cam (fake GoPro, so for the ease of this post I'll just say GoPro and assume that covers all types of action cam) and wore it using a chest strap on the rides at SeaWorld and Busch Gardens. Universal wouldn't allow it anywhere with any mount. We also wore it in the lazy river at Aquatica and I can't remember if we asked them about taking it on slides. Volcano Bay was a big fat no on anything except the lazy river.

This time we are doing Disney for the first time, and I'm thinking about buying a wrist strap for it as it looks like Tim Tracker uses a wrist mount in his videos? Would be a bit less bulky than wearing it on a chest strap. So I was hoping someone who actually has experience can fill me in on the following:

Is a GoPro allowed on all the rides at Disney, are there any exceptions?

If allowed, is a wrist mount okay or are there some rides where a chest strap is needed?

How about the Disney water parks- allowed or not?

And does anyone know if a wrist mount is okay at SeaWorld/Busch? As I say we have experience of using a chest strap there but not tried a wrist mount.

Anyone any experience with taking one on the slides at Aquatica? Cannot remember for the life of me if we asked to do this and were told no or just never tried.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
I've used a wrist strap and floaty pole on rides without issue (Disney and waterparks)

Main thing they don't allow is a selfie stick or extendable pole.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I've used a wrist strap and floaty pole on rides without issue (Disney and waterparks)

Main thing they don't allow is a selfie stick or extendable pole.
Thank you good to get confirmation. We do have a floaty stick thing as well which I could use in the water parks.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Robsie71
Apprentice Imagineer

I used the go pro handle (floaty stick) everywhere within Disney. Only times I was asked about it was at bag search to ensure it wasnt extendable.

While on Magic carpets the ride was stopped and a device confiscated because somephone had it on an extending stick but other than that no issues at Disney.
Robsie71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Robsie71 View Post
I used the go pro handle (floaty stick) everywhere within Disney. Only times I was asked about it was at bag search to ensure it wasnt extendable.

While on Magic carpets the ride was stopped and a device confiscated because somephone had it on an extending stick but other than that no issues at Disney.
Okay definitley no extending stick, thanks! Not sure we even have one but could be in the big bag of accessories.
Old 21 Feb 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd recommend the simple mini tripod, I got mine from Amazon. It doesn't extend (tick) works as a handle and is a very handy tiny tripod, it's all I use. It's also cheap

amazon/GoPro-Tripo...ncL&ref=plSrch
Old 21 Feb 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I'd recommend the simple mini tripod, I got mine from Amazon. It doesn't extend (tick) works as a handle and is a very handy tiny tripod, it's all I use. It's also cheap

amazon/GoPro-Tripo...ncL&ref=plSrch
Thanks that looks like a handy thing to have!
Old 21 Feb 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Hibby70
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Alternatively there are Gorilla type tripods which you can bend round things or use as a grip.
Hibby70 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

I used the floaty stick everywhere at Disney, the only time any one said something was on Slinky dog when I was told to keep the GoPro inside the car and not to extend my arms.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
CABLECAR1974
Excited about Disney

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm new to action cameras.

I don't understand the bit about Universal refusing the camera without a mount . Surely the chest strap has as much mounting as a wrist strap. Is it not that Universal don't allow cameras (or anything loose) at all.
CABLECAR1974 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List