Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Jun 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_chief
Helping Minnie

connecting in Chicago

We managed to get a good deal with BA for Easter 2020 (31st march-15 April), indirect out LHR-ORD-TPA return direct TPA-LGW for 3a & 1c with 7 seater for £1700.
We've connected in a few airports before but this is our first time connecting in Chicago. We have a 3hr layover and understand that we have to change terminals in this time. Does anyone have any experience of connecting in this airport that could offer advice/tips etc.. TIA
miss_chief is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

It’s been a while, but yes, yiu change terminals, it’s a very large airport, but easily navigable
Tgen gaveca terminal transpire train, which goes from terminal to terminal, but I think, yiu gave to go out of security and back in again.
Yiu can walk airside between terminals
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
It’s been a while, but yes, yiu change terminals, it’s a very large airport, but easily navigable
Tgen gaveca terminal transpire train, which goes from terminal to terminal, but I think, yiu gave to go out of security and back in again.
Yiu can walk airside between terminals
Have done this quite a few years ago with 2 small children. Was ok from what I remember.

Have a look on internet, there is bound to be a review/advice on arriving international, depart domestic passenger.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
penguin
Dancing with Tink'

We do this fairly regularly albeit to a different final destination and have always managed it within about 1 and a half hours so 3 should be fine (as long as there is no major issues!). Definitely much quicker than some of the other airports we've connected through.

We are doing it again very soon - I just checked our connection time and it's 3 hours too and I would have felt happy booking it with an even shorter connection.
penguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

We did it one Easter and the weather meant a delay due to snow/de-icing issues - I would maybe consider a more Southern connection if that's an option.

ETA sorry, left it a while between reading and posting and ignored the bit about you being already booked. Was a straightforward airport to navigate.

Edited at 08:49 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Came through Chicago last time. Really liked the airport. Very easy to navigate, and inbound processing efficient.

Are you BA outbound international and AA onward? Suggest logging onto your AA account and signing up for alerts for changes in plane times. Domestic flight times will be likely to be changed quite a lot until they are finalised. If they are you can request an adjustment. We "swapped" from a BA to Chicago to AA codeshare as a result of the domestic flight adjustment. This resulted in a) better connection times b) free seats, c) no need to change terminals.

If you get a notification that the flight has changed but times are the same it is likely an equipment change so check your seats.

Chicago has an amazing view over the Great lakes coming into land.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Yes we have done this too.
easy to navigate. quite big. we were lucky as going with united we arrived in from dublin and left for mco at a different gate but the same terminal.

the queue for the train to other terminals sometimes gets 'mixed' with people waiting for flights at a nearby gate so watch that as people think its the train queue and its not!

other than that, 3hrs seems plenty of time.

enjoy your holiday

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
MHM
Earning My Ears

Mobile

I connected through ORD on a work trip to Salt Lake City on BA/AA in March and I used to spend a lot of time in Chicago. Immigration is faster there than it used to be (and faster than Orlando in my experience), but if you have a connecting flight, as you leave the BA plane they have a wall with passengers onwards boarding passes stuck to it. If your connection time is short (I think the cut off for ‘short’ is around the 3h mark), you also get a bright orange label - if you keep this visible you are sent to the front of the line.

After clearing immigration you need to collect your luggage in T5 and then hand it straight back to the baggage agent desk just before going land side in T5. From there, there is an express bus taking you to other terminals (if you are connecting with AA I think you are then going to T3), as the air train is currently undergoing a lot of work - tbh the bus is easier. Your orange ticket will them get you through security quicker and you should have time to grab a snack before you board. With the orange ticket I got from gate to gate in 35 minutes (then my connecting flight was delayed!).

If you connect in Chicago on the way back your baggage will be sent straight through and so you use the airside bus to change terminals.
MHM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I connected through Chicago back in April. We were through immigration and customs in about 30 mins, then hopped on the Express bus as the train is being worked on took about 10 mins to get to new terminal. Then queued to go through security. The queue was horrendous probably took a good 45 mins to get through.

3 hours should be plenty as long as your TA flight lands on time.
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List