Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jun 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

Cannot Book Seats Until 7 Months Before Flight (Travel Agent Booking)

I've booked with a Travel Agent for our holiday next May, flying Premium Economy with Virgin. When the 11 month date came around, I contacted Virgin to obtain the locator and they could not find our details and to ask the TA to upload info.

I asked the TA and they said they don't release the information to the airline until 7 months out. I don't want to ba pain in the derriere to the TA, but does anyone know what the significance is of the 7 months?

I know we're 'on the flight' and yes, I'm eager to book our seats, but I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it. Any ideas? (It's not to do with any payments or final payments, I've asked about that).

Edited at 11:38 AM.
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Are you sure that the TA have booked the flights as virgin would have a record
Old 15 Jun 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Are you sure that the TA have booked the flights as virgin would have a record
I guess Virgin have a record of the TA's booking as a block and I've asked the TA, so I suppose so!
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

I imagine it’s a block booking and not sorted on their side yet but is as far as your booking goes ie you’re on that plane.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Bestbubba
Imagineer

We had a similar situation booking through a TA for our cruise recently. The only way around it apparently was to pay in full for our flights. We did this and were given the locator number to book our seats. DH has just reminded me, it happened twice, with a Virgin flight and a Norwegian one too. We usually book directly with BA, so booking through a TA, and "block booking seats " was a new experience.
Bestbubba is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bestbubba View Post
We had a similar situation booking through a TA for our cruise recently. The only way around it apparently was to pay in full for our flights. We did this and were given the locator number to book our seats. DH has just reminded me, it happened twice, with a Virgin flight and a Norwegian one too. We usually book directly with BA, so booking through a TA, and "block booking seats " was a new experience.
That is interesting as I asked the TA in my initial enquiry if it was related to payment and they said no, it was nothing to do with that. ODD!
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pinju View Post
That is interesting as I asked the TA in my initial enquiry if it was related to payment and they said no, it was nothing to do with that. ODD!
There can be a few reasons for this, but payment is likely to be part of the issue. The reason you can’t book seats yet is highly likely to be that the booking has not yet been ticketed. Once a booking is ticketed, the agency issuing the ticket has to pay the airline for that ticket on the next IATA payment run (usually twice per month).

That said, the reasons may not purely be financial, since it has to be remembered that any block bookings will not only be for your dates, but quite possibly for most days of the year. So, operationally the agency is working through the ticketing chronologically.

As to the significance of 7 months, it could be a number of things, but is there any relationship between this time and the final deadline for making payments on your package?
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
As to the significance of 7 months, it could be a number of things, but is there any relationship between this time and the final deadline for making payments on your package?
The deadline is very early February for the final payment.