Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jun 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
show_the_magic
Excited about Disney

Get a cuppa and have a browse through the dibb, watch some YouTube videos of the parks and hotels.
Have a think about what you all want from the holiday.
You've got a good budget and I know a lot of people prefer DIY but for your first time a package may be better. It obviously depends on how confident you are finding your own flights etc or if you would prefer the ease of a travel agent, if you go DIY there are a lot of folk on here that can advise you.
I went to Disney with family in 2001, Universal with ex partner and oldest dd in 2014. Next year it's just me and youngest dd so I've gone for a package and it's been easy so far, especially with all the help from this site.
Once you've looked through the site and watched some YouTube videos you'll be in a better position to make some decisions regarding accommodation and parks.
Good luck and enjoy!

Edited at 11:09 AM.
show_the_magic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post

If I were going for three weeks, I would do two weeks at Disney onsite and one week at Universal onsite at an express pass hotel. I would do trips like Discovery Cove during my Universal week.

The reason for my choices are that we don't like driving and we are a party of two so the hotels make more sense than a villa for us.

Regarding POR with dining versus a value I would pick the POR, partly for the dining but also because it is a nicer hotel and you have the budget for it. That said, I don't make it £3k more expensive, even if you were there for the whole three weeks.

To start to put together your own trip, I think you need to make some of the fundamental decisions, such as onsite or offsite, driving or not and also pick out which theme parks are priorities and which you see yourself spending most time in.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I recommend you read some trip reports. I found reading about other people's perspectives helped me decide what we wanted to do. We're staying 7 nights at Disney's Caribbean Beach, 12 nights in a villa and 2 nights at Universal's Cabana Bay so we get to try out everything.
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Whitemice
Looking for my Ears

Mobile

Thanks for all the help guys I'll have a look at these options universal does look cheaper than Disney to stay at but no dinning plans my daughter n Mrs are both harry potter nuts I just like any film we have done Paris a couple of times but doubt it does Orlando justice the villa idea seems more suited to larger groups than just 3 of us
Whitemice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Whitemice View Post
Thanks for all the help guys I'll have a look at these options universal does look cheaper than Disney to stay at but no dinning plans my daughter n Mrs are both harry potter nuts I just like any film we have done Paris a couple of times but doubt it does Orlando justice the villa idea seems more suited to larger groups than just 3 of us
Condos are great for your size party but has all the perks of a villa , so fully fitted kitchen, Somerset bedrooms and bathrooms , washer dryer etc plus great facilities and pools.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would do maybe 10 days in Disney then 2 in UNiversal and then a villa for the remaining 9or 10 days to relax but can still use your passes for some of the parks if you spread the first use out.
DC also may come with SW and AQ so may be a lot of parks
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mi55pink
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I don’t think anyone can tell you what is best to do as it depends on what kind of holiday you want and what you all enjoy.

However we went 2 years ago for the first time and I’d never booked any holiday DIY before but after pricing up with travel agents and lots of dibb reading I decided I’d prefer the freedom of booking everything myself. It was actually really easy and honestly don’t think I’d use a TA again!

We are 2 adults and 1 child ( she was 9 last holiday) and we stayed in a villa. Absolutely loved it as we don’t liked being cramped in a hotel room especially for 2-3 weeks. Plus we like driving so preferred to stay off site and not be tied to any one park or their food.

Like others have said price up different options, watch YouTube videos and rad trip reports and I’m sure you’ll start to find what your preferred holiday looks like. ☺️
mi55pink is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarey101
Proud to wear my Ears

We've been three times now and have stayed onsite each time, (SSR, OKW, CBR). Mainly because we didn't want to drive so enjoyed the convenience of the buses. The hotels we looked at which offered shuttles only seemed to have a couple a day which needed to be pre-booked. We (Me, DH and two boys) love the free dining plan which means we don't have to worry about food and drinks cost when we're there (quick service last time at CBR). Having the four of us in just one room is fine as we're hardly in there. We've done a night at universal which was great for front of the line passes. If I was going for three weeks I'd probably do four or five nights universal and the rest onsite in a moderate or deluxe for dining plan offered. I also book DIY, Hotel direct with Disney and separate flight.
Clarey101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Welcome!

There’s no one size fits all really. I’d echo what others have said - watch some you tube, read some trip reports on here and get a feel for what you would really like to do and what it’s like to fit it all into 3 weeks.

I learned loads from other people’s trip reports and as a result I’ve never done a package but instead have taken what I wanted, booked it all myself to suit us.

2015 & 2016 we did 3 weeks and hit every park. Full on and pretty exhausting as fab as it was. 2017 we just did Disney, Seaworld, Busch and Kennedy space centre. Last year we did universal, Seaworld, Busch and some days on the coast at st petes and Anna maria island.

We favour villas mostly, but wouldn’t do universal without the onsite hotel stay now. The perks of the front of the line passes let you do the parks so much enjoyably that it’s worth it. We also favour car hire over bus/taxi. And as someone else said you could look at condos to give you a balance of no wasted space or cash but still with the freedom and peace it gives.

Main thing is to do lots of reading before you make any big decisions. Then don’t hesitate to ask questions. We are a very friendly bunch 😀

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mi55pink
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Just wanted to add there are some really great YouTubers that offer great tips. Be warned though, I’ve found watching these videos very addictive!

Some of the good ones are;

The Tim Tracker
DFB Guide
Brogan Tate
The Lodge Guys

☺️
mi55pink is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List