Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jun 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
esteeds
VIP Dibber

esteeds's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Even though 3 weeks is a long time I would say that doing all 3 parks will be ambitious. Discovery Cove comes with options to a number of Sea World parks, we always take the offer up and DC is our MUST DO park. Since our kids have been teenagers we have done Universal, staying on site for 2 or 3 nights for early access and front of line. We go to Disney springs, the boardwalk and a Disney part to get a little taste of the magic. We always stay at a villa as we love the freedom. There is so much to do ob one the parks and it is nice to have seats with a slower pace and no lines. We also go to the beach at least for one day, it is a totally different side of Florida. As other posters have said make a list of all the things you want to do and then start to prioritise them until you get to a clear view of what you want to do. Enjoy then planning process, for me it is when the holiday starts 😀
1995 WDW Landstar Homes Villa | 1998 WDW Coronado Springs & Ft. Myers | 1999 WDW Key Largo & All Star Movies | 2002 Disneyland Paris Davy Crockett Ranch | 2007 Glenbrook Resort Villa | June 2008 DLP | 15 June 2009 DLP Sequoia Lodge | Oct 2010 Sunrise Villa, West Haven & Anna Maria Island | July 2013 DIBB Villa | 17th Aug.2015 Hard Rock Hotel | June 2019 - Hard Rock, Champions Gate, AMI
esteeds is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

I was like you a couple of months ago. I’d been to Florida as a child, but we’ve always done DLP as a family, so I had no clue about WDW. I posted on here for advice with our vague plans for a 2021 holiday - and a few days later we’d booked to go in August 2020!

We decided to DIY, because I don’t think our plans and wishes would have suited a package holiday. We’re staying in Royal Pacific at Universal to get front of line passes, then moving to Beach Club at WDW, with the free DDP. We want to do lots of character meals, so the DDP makes sense for us. We'll book our flights later this year - I’m keeping an eye on the cheap flights thread on here to get an idea of when and what to book.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Whitemice View Post
We are looking at 3 weeks in Aug 2020 for 2 adults and 11 year old budget around 10-12k inc spending we want to do Disney universal and discovery cove but can't work out the if we would be best to stay at Disney universal or international as can see benefits to all of them
Based on this comment, I'd suggest doing a split stay. Spend some of your time onsite at Disney and then at either a deluxe Universal hotel (for the Express passes) or somewhere on International Drive. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

That's what we're thinking of doing next August. We're thinking of spending 9 or 10 nights at a moderate Disney resort and then a week on International Drive. We're also a group of 3 and it looks like it'll come to about £6.5K.

and is it worth spending 3k extra to get meal plan at port Orleans over breakfast only at the pop or music hotels
Probably not £3K extra, no. But if you do a split stay I doubt it'll be £3K extra. I think for us it's less than £1K extra to stay at Coronado Springs or Port Orleans French Quarter with QSDP rather than at an All-Star hotel.

Looking at the end of August and putting in a 2 week stay at Disney for 3 people, the difference in price between All-Star Music and CSR is approximately £1K. In this case, I think the extra £1K is worth it.

(Personally, we've never been that bothered about eating table service meals at Disney. On the occasion that we have, we've paid the extra £100 or so out of pocket).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I never stay onsite and am very biased that way. But I would suggest if you consider staying onsite price up both first on and offsite. Compare price and difference in quality of accommodation and benefits of car hire and no car. Only you can really decide.

For us with a timeshare a car is a must for freedom to do what we like at a moments notice. Although you could consider a split stay a week or two onsite without car then pick one up at Disney and move offsite and get the best of both worlds as your staying 3 weeks.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

We did 3 weeks in 2017 , 2 weeks Disney and one universal, my trip report covers everything good and bad.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...5#post12806135

Last year we did french quarter and loved the hotel, it would be a great first stay in my opinion.

Read some trip reports with a big cup of tea and it’ll start to make sense I promise

Any questions about my trip report feel free to PM as well, Tons of people on here will assist - it’s how I learnt everything for my trip ( oh and Tim trackers good for a you tube watch too)
Have fun - the planning is part of the fun
Feb 2011 All Stars Resort, Aug 2017 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH, Aug 2018 Port Orleans French Quarter, Aug 2019 Wilderness Lodge HRH & Contemporary, Feb 2020 Grand Floridian, Aug 2021 Disney Dream, Dec 21 Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge, Feb 22 Port Orleans Riverside, July 22 Port Orleans French Quarter, Feb 23 Staybright Suites Offsite (never again )
bigshaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Morethescarier7
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Woah! 12k sounds ridiculously expensive to me!
I just checked and you can get 14 nights at cabana bay for the three of you, with car hire for £3175.
Petrol is cheap over there.
Dining plans I’m not sure of as I’ve never used them but honestly eating out is not expensive unless you’re going to upscale places every time.
I’d probably take £3-4000 spending money if I were you.
Tickets for all 5 parks for the three of you would be £2511.
That’s about £9,500.
I wouldn’t stay on i drive if I were you, we’ve been 5 times now and had problems everytime with the hotels there, each time thinking oh next time will be better.
Roaches, filthy rooms, loud guests, biker gangs, people who actually live in the hotels etc.
Next time we’re going for a villa!
Morethescarier7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Rossmasa
Very Serious Dibber

Yes agree with Morethescarier 12K is a whopping budget.

We are a family of three 2AD and Daughter age 14 , we've gone for three weeks for the last several years , we mix and match with anything from 7-14day disney stay and then remainder in a villa .

Would highly recommend a Disney stay with free DDP and other onsite perks , a Moderate and QSP is a good place to start with first time visit. If you don't fancy a Villa would suggest staying at a Universal Hotel to get their perks too.
Caribbean Beach Resort August 2016
Coronado Springs Resort August 2014, 2015, 2017 2018, 2019 (Gran Destino)
Art Of Animation December 2021 2022
Rossmasa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

We are looking at 3 weeks in Aug 2020 for 2 adults and 11 year old budget around 10-12k inc spending we want to do Disney universal and discovery cove but can't work out the if we would be best to stay at Disney universal or international as can see benefits to all of them and is it worth spending 3k extra to get meal plan at port Orleans over breakfast only at the pop or music hotels oh I'm so lost
I'll keep it really specific as lots of others have covered the generalised stuff, but bear in mind this is personal opinion.

We've been going since before pop century was built, and the all star resorts was our go to resort. Pop Century was newer and therefore classed as value plus, and accordingly more expensive. The rooms are the same size and since then the All stars have been refurbished, so I don't see any value in Pop over the All stars.

Port Orleans is another classification of resort, moderate resorts have larger rooms, and more facilities at the resort, we love Port Orleans usually staying at Riverside, but we equate it with French Quarter and take the cheapest of the two... and here's the big caveat, provided the cost difference is at least close to offsetting the cost of the extra food. With such a massive difference, the answer is that it doesn't.
We've had the same discussion regarding next years trip and we concluded that All Star resorts would be our choice, as it has in the past when the offers were not as good.

Is the upgrade worth it as it currently stands... NO !
It's somewhere north of £100 per day and the food costs if you maximise it would be worth about $40 per day. So you're paying about £70 per day to be in a slightly bigger room in a slightly nicer resort. Not worth it.
Old 28 Jun 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

We always stay onsite, we do a split stay between Disney and universal and we usually take discovery cove out of our Disney days .

We would absolutely go for a moderate over a value, the meal plan is worth it to us
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I don’t think anyone could argue that unless perhaps you go every year that your Disney experience can be better staying off site. I would recommend at leasrt some of your tie. Should be onsite
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List